Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 17:03   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Dental Kit ?

I had a crown pop off today... fortunately I'm ashore. Can anyone recommend a decent emergency dental kit? I'd hate to have to use West System to glue up a tooth while underway!
Old 09-02-2011, 17:43   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
I recommend finding a dentist. But if you insist on a kit and can wait until it is shipped, you could try this: emergency dental kit for travelers, an inexpensive emergency dental kit put together by a practicing dentist It would make more sense to get it before you need it, though!
Old 09-02-2011, 17:46   #3

I asked my dentist what to do if a crown came off while in the boonies. He said carry a little denture creme and stick it back, then find a dentist.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:48   #4

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Don't forget to carry some sort of anti-biotic along with the kit. Your dentist should be able to assist you in putting together an emergency dental kit to use when underway. it may be useful to have a look at what is contained in one of those pre packaged deals...but it's also useful to have your own dentist who is familiar with your conditions to help set the thing up
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:57   #5

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Crazy as it sounds crazy glue works ...I've used it in a pintch>>>
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I AM going to the dentist in the morning... I want the kit in the event this were to happen when I was DAYS away from dental care... And yes I'll buy it in advance!
Old 09-02-2011, 18:31   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
My wife is a dentist, so I have a degree by marriage and this advice doesn't come from her. We bring antibiotics for this type of emergency (and other "just in case" medications) when cruising.

Allan, your Crazy Glue idea would work (can also be used in place of sutures if you get a slice wound) but you're really better off with "Temp Bond" which is a two-part low-hardness adhesive with gap-filling properties, used for temporary crowns. If a crown or bridge came off it's likely because there's decay underneath and the dentist needs to get back into at the earliest opportunity. Crazy glue is too tough to break the bond.

Your best bet is to discuss your situation with your dentist who knows your mouth, age and condition of fillings/crowns and other issues. Same with a medical kit and your doctor, beside the standard general first-aid kit for trauma and contusions. In fact if you have any known conditions/risks and cruising out of the country it might be a good idea to get your copied medical records to take in case you need them for reference. It's helpful for diagnosis when there is a baseline historical reference.

Also if you think you've been putting off dentistry -- the occasional sensitive tooth or bad taste or looseness, take care of it BEFORE you go so you don't have an emergency. If you haven't had recent exams and cleanings take care of that too before you go -- and not last-minute.... far enough in advance so you have time to take care of anything that might be discovered in the "survey".
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 18:52   #8

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)
Amazon Dickson, Murray: "Where There is No Dentist"
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 07:57   #9
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Our dentist too recommended carrying denture adhensive for a temporary fix. Crowns usually come off because of decay underneath, so the last thing you want to do is replace it with some permanent adhesive. My dentist gave me a small sample tube of this adhesive, just right for the medical kit. It keeps the crown on but be very careful that you don't swallow it. There is also a product, dental wax, that is usually given to kids who have a rough spot on their braces. It's good to cover a broken tooth that's tearing your mouth up.
Old 16-02-2011, 08:06   #10

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
I second to use of Super Glue. First hand experience, it works
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 08:23   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
We carry a couple of Dental emergency kits from Adventure Medical Kits: Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Dental Medic Kit: Health & Personal Care

Check out the other kits they have: Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits - Health & Personal Care

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 08:28   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hmm, this is too important to edit my previous post... I linked to other medical kits and now see that they sell blood clotting agents which are -not- so good (generate a lot of heat with possible burns as the result). The preferred clotting agent to have aboard is Celox: Amazon.com: Celox Hemostatic Granules 15g Packet: Health & Personal Care

Hope you never need it but you might save somebody else's life with it. When used, tape the packaging to the injured person so that doctors know what was used.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 09:13   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hmm, this is too important to edit my previous post... I linked to other medical kits and now see that they sell blood clotting agents which are -not- so good (generate a lot of heat with possible burns as the result). The preferred clotting agent to have aboard is Celox: Amazon.com: Celox Hemostatic Granules 15g Packet: Health & Personal Care

Hope you never need it but you might save somebody else's life with it. When used, tape the packaging to the injured person so that doctors know what was used.

cheers,
Nick.
+1 on the above... I'm a Paramedic, and the GF is a RN... Medically we are covered. Our kit is more complete than some of the clinics I've seen in the islands... We just never did much with emergency dental stuff.

UPDATE from my dentist: the crown popped because I was chewing unpopped popcorn (A major bone of contention with her and my silly cravings). She (my dentist) made me up a kit from her "freebees" the sales people leave with her.. Including amoxycillin in the event of abscess.
Old 16-02-2011, 11:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Where There Is No Dentist
Here ➥ http://hesperian.info/assets_org/den..._Full_Book.pdf
Or ➥ Hesperian Foundation

More Hesperian Books
Hesperian Foundation

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 12:13   #15
cruiser

super glue for the win... btw, super glue is CYANNO ACRYLATE

this can be bought in woodworking shops, hobby shops, and is much cheaper then buyin git in smaller tubes...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote