Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2019, 16:28   #46

Re: Do you leave your boat unlocked?

The various arguments regarding leaving your boat locked or unlocked all have merit. However if you have an Insurance policy it will probably not make payment for a claim for stolen property inside the cabins if there is no evidence of break-in.

If the boat is at a cruising anchorage there may be little point in locking it. However if it is moored in a well occupied harbour or at a Marina or wharf it may be prudent to lock the boat, even though a determined thief will easily get in.
Rumbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21   #47

Boat: Custom Steel Cutter, 40Ft

Locks only keep the good people out!
keelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:32   #48

Boat: Hallberg Rassey 31

For 60 plus years I never locked my boat. But then again - I live in Denmark!
pouljan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:44   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do you leave your boat unlocked?

A delivery crew arrived in Hollywood, Florida to collect a catamaran on the pontoon next to the one my L45S delivery was berthed on.
The owner had not left the keys at the office so the crew could get in, ended up they got in through a forecabin hatch after forcing the locks.. they then found a set of keys left on the salon table.
Where theres a will theres a way.. the best you can achieve is delaying tactics that slow things down and hope thats enough of a deterrent.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:04   #50

Boat: Taswell 43

Like many have commented, we always lock our companionway when we go ashore. BUT we also leave at least 2 long lines tied to the granny rails, and leave the keys in the ignition. Once, when we were ashore and were sightseeing a 15th century castle we noticed our boat was NOT where we had left it!!! As we ran back to the dink, we discovered she had dragged, a couple of good samaritans had jumped on board, grabbed the 2 long lines, and secured our boat to theirs. Saved our bacon!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:29   #51

I also have never had theft off my boat in 45 years of owning one. But I have had bilge pump switches fail three times while I've been away (finally got smart and got an Ultra Safety Systems switch).

I have a marvelous combination lock (ABUS 160) that works differently than most. You first click it shut and only then can turn the dials. Until you turn the dials it seems locked but pulling on it even slightly causes it to open.

Opening and removing a lock is evidence of forced entry.

The padlock also provides a nice visible deterrent for someone casing the boat from the dock or a dinghy.

https://www.abus.com/us/Home-Securit...ombination/160
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:45   #52

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Here is my solution to locking boats.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:13   #53

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I had an Mgb that had been broken into and made a claim. The adjuster asked if it was locked. I pointed out it had a rag top and did they prefer paying a few grand or a few hundred. In that particular case he sided with me and paid the few hundred out. Ymmv
Old 02-08-2019, 09:15   #54

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

I keep the key in the ignition and have no plans to change. I've always locked the boat except at anchor, but this thread has given me second thoughts. I'm not concerned about losing a few bottles of medicinal spirits or my clothes, but I am concerned about expensive electronics and optics. I've thought about bolting a small safe under the V berth, but that would probably invite even more damage. I do have signs on the port and starboard lines advising of my 110lb Doberman, Max, and his unfriendly attitude.

I have thought about leaving on the chart table an old wallet stuffed with expired credit cards, a couple of US singles, and a large bunch of Zimbabwean dollars. Maybe seeing the millions the thieves would think they had struck it rich and leave the rest. Maybe not.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:19   #55

A couple points here...

1. To the "Locks only keep good people out"; They also keep casual thieves out. They may not keep determined thieves out but stealthy dock hoppers will pass by a secured boat. Perhaps the decision is would you rather be robbed by casual thieves or determined thieves; Which do you have more of in the area?

2. The keys in the ignition people... if your boat gets stolen, I'm betting insurance doesn't pay. Chances of that are slimmer on a sailboat, but maybe more so on a small power boat.

3. The keys in the ignition people... ohhhh that makes me cringe for water intrusion into the ignition switch. I guess that depends on how well your switch is protected from the weather, but on my boat, corrosion would be my fear, not theft.

4. Finally... anyone who leaves their keys in the ignition and unlocked, please feel free to post your location. I need a bigger boat and am willing to trade up.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:44   #56

Boat: Tollycraft Sedan 37

We lock the boat at the slip when we leave for the day or an extended period. Keep honest people honest as mentioned previously.
We never lock the boat at anchor and always leave the windless on and the keys in the ignition. I and a friend have saved a boat that was dragging and could not have done so if it had been locked up or their windless disabled.
We learned from that experience.
Worthywl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:38   #57

Boat: Hobie 17

As many have pointed out, if a thief wants in, they will get in, and may do a lot of damage in the process.

That's a good point, but there's a counterpoint:

A thief may want to get in, but not be willing to make noise or risk being seen obviously breaking in. Also, they probably want to get into to SOME boat, ANY boat, but don't really care about getting into MY boat in particular. So if my boat is locked, and the one next to it is unlocked, they will leave me alone and go ransack the other boat.

Kind of like the joke where the two guys in the woods see a bear, and one guy quietly crouches down and tightens his shoelaces. The other guy says, "What are you doing, you know you can't outun a bear!", to which he replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you!"
clymbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:47   #58

Boat: Hobie 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Here is my solution to locking boats.

Because nobody would ever steal anything from the PoPo. https://komonews.com/news/local/stol...st-king-county
clymbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:48   #59

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

It depends on where we anchor. For example, at our home dock, it's unlocked; in Nassau it's locked.
Old 02-08-2019, 13:02   #60

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
It depends on where we anchor. For example, at our home dock, it's unlocked; in Nassau it's locked.
There is a great big cable strung across the bottom of the harbor in Nassau to keep boats from dragging to far
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat