Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 14:13   #61

Boat: Hylas 54
Re: Do you leave your boat unlocked?

So I often wonder about many people's fear of theft. Frankly, although we have a nice boat I doubt anyone is going to steal it and make off at a cracking 7 knots while every local security organization is on the lookout. Pretty slow getaway. And on board we have a couple of laptops and cameras and a pair of binoculars (all could do with being upgraded!), but what else do you people have to actually steal? Money and CCs usually are with us and CCs can be cancelled almost instantly, two guys, so no diamonds aboard. A TV worth maybe $50. Yes we have a new and lovely electronics suite but pulling components out without all the connections and black boxes will make them more or less worthless.

We do lock our boat when we leave it for more than a day with a lock that could be kicked off in a second, but I think unless you are hauling gold, diamonds, and the Mona Lisa the fretting, locking, and anxiety is just not worth it. Relax peeps.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 20:55   #62

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Leave the keys in the ignition? My Cal 39 didn't have an ignition key. And the guy that said he could start any diesel - that's right. When I was worried about boat theft (rarely) I removed a battery cable and substituted two short one, one from the battery to an unseen place under the frame and the other from under the same place under the frame to the engine. To even a mechanic it appeared fine. The discontinuous part was where it couldn't be seen. I don't know if this system worked against a criminal because I don't know if a criminal tried.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 00:07   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Ten years never locked and key is in ignition. I only closed the companion way when running an AC on shore power or in heavy seas.

Only things missing were taken by crew members. I had the bad habit of saving every broken cell phone and this was too tempting. My crew figured since I am not using them they were fair game.

Overall, I think the large size of my vessel helped since no one could see into the cockpit from the water level. Whereas, with smaller vessels someone can easily see that no one is aboard and the companion way is open.

Note: I would never do this in the US.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 00:27   #64

Yes, No, Depends, new Yanmar has no key start....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:38   #65

Boat: Oyster 49 Pilot House

When behind Anchor we leave all open and keys in slot. But have a “beware of the dog” sign out.... in harbour we lock door and hatches (had a downpoor once...)
Marekaofholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:43   #66

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

It depends on where we are. In Central America, we always locked the boat. Some parts of America, we lock the boat. In Baltic, Med, Caribbean and Oceania we usually left the boat open.

Generally at night we don't lock the boat when we are asleep--but we have always owned a dog who stands watch for us. (Yes, the dog crosses oceans). When the dog alerts, the first thing that happens, is I flip on spreader lights, and hit the fog horn with 5 blasts--both near my bunk. We have run off several thieves--on the other hand, we lost a new inflatable (in Boston harbor to Greenpeace) when the thieves came by water, and the dog didn't alert. Normally I have a cable locked thru eyebolts (shaft peened over the nut), but since the inflatable had been purchased the day before--I had only put the cable thru the bow eye, where the webbing had been cut with a knife, by someone in the water.

I have broken into a number of boats--it is very easy, and in most cases there is no serious damage. The reason was one of three:

1. Dragging anchor--and had to switch the engine or windlass on, to keep the boat from going on the beach.
2. Flooding--bilge pump running, boat going progressively down on her lines. Usually able to find the area of flooding--and identify the owner for contact.
3. Fire (only once- but able to get an extinguisher out and put out a small fire). I have seen the fire department break into boats on fire to do a sweep to be sure that no one was aboard and sleeping/unconscious.
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58   #67

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

When I leave the boat, I lock it- unless it's just for the day. No key in the ignition as I leave all seacocks closed and the engine would soon overheat if someone used it. I leave a copy of the boat key with a local fellow in case there is an emergency that requires entering the boat or using the engine.

For people who lock the boat but leave the key in the ignition, does that mean you also leave your engine seacock open when you leave the boat?
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 14:57   #68

Boat: Nautitech Open 40

We lock the cabin doors if we're not on the boat.
Possibly not logical but just makes us feel better.
If at anchor the engine batteries are left on.
AndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 20:10   #69

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
When I leave the boat, I lock it- unless it's just for the day. No key in the ignition as I leave all seacocks closed and the engine would soon overheat if someone used it. I leave a copy of the boat key with a local fellow in case there is an emergency that requires entering the boat or using the engine.

For people who lock the boat but leave the key in the ignition, does that mean you also leave your engine seacock open when you leave the boat?
Unlocked, key is in ignition, seacocks closed, but access hatch to raw water seacock is open, can't miss it going inside... Couple of liveaboard neighbors/buddies might need to move her from her slip to a safer place if a storm with a name came along while I was traveling for work. It's a pretty secure marina, being on a military base, so theft is unlikely.

I'd lock her and give combo and a key to them but I only have 1 key, and honestly, it's rusted into the ignition ! That's on my list...
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 21:29   #70

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Be interested to see what your insurance has to say about putting it out there on the interwebs that your boat is unlocked with key in the ignition.

I suspect if there is theft of possessions with no actual break and enter or theft of vessel that you won't have a leg to stand on.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 23:25   #71

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Yes, but I could leave it off and locked for my purposes....reanchoring/marina parking you can do without an impeller (don't ask how I know).

Other thoughts: For those who leave the boat unlocked because of practical/ethical/etc reasons and you get burgled and you suspect insurance wouldn't pay, I personally would have zero ethical problem carefully and with minimal extra damage gouging out my companionway lock or prying the lid up myself after the fact. It's not dishonest as you really were burgled.

But, as I stated, I lock her up tight. Low hanging fruit is always the first to be picked, and we have 3 cats onboard so I'd rather them not be let out by teenagers looking for vodka.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 23:39   #72

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't lock mine, plus I leave the key for the engine in the switch
Ours don't even have keyed ignition. They're push button start. My wife is eternally freaked out by this. I told her we could put a switch somewhere if she wanted but it just sounded like work
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:06   #73

We have a padlock clasp and padlock on our hatch, that looks like the hatch is locked. But, once you get right on it, you can see it's just lifts up.

I figure:

1. Casual thieves will think it's locked and pass it by.
2. Professional thieves were going to break it and get in anyway.
3. Good Samaritans trying to save my boat in my absence will quickly figure the ruse out.

We do lock it from the inside when sleeping in sketchy places, or marinas (we run the AC most of the time then) but not in most anchorages, where we like the air flow of open hatches.
Old 17-01-2022, 09:38   #74

Honestly, I also always lock my boat. I just feel much safer when I know that I have left my boat locket. So honestly, you did nothing wrong. You can not know that your anchor will pull off by itself. Still, you were lucky that the woman warned you. Anyway, at the end of the day, everything went ok, and you were able to re-anchor your boat. But I suggest you talk with your local locksmith about this situation, maybe he will know how to help you. Anyway, next time, just be careful where you anchor your boat to avoid this situation. , Be safe, guys, and take care of your boats.
wasder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat