Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 11:07   #76

Re: Do you pee over the side?

It has certainly been a looooooong winter....
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:15   #77

Boat: Baltic 52

Honestly? Yes, in the ocean. Lakes and Rivers, no - just get a little guilty about pollution.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:17   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Don't any of you get frequent pump outs? Over the side is not safe and does contribute algae load in lakes. If you can afford a boat with a head use it and get it pump out. Know too mainly sailors brag fey never use their heads.
You mean you store large quantities of toxic waste on board for weeks at a time, Eewww.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:24   #79

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Something that MAY make a difference to those that don't pee over the side. Urine is sanitary, not like poop. Check with a medical person. Pee is preferable to tap water in most countries for washing out a wound.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:33   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was taught in Survival school to only use your own pee.
And in the case of Gangrenous infection, you had to grow your own maggots, don't go borrowing any

Long, Long winter, when will it end
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:47   #81

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
When offshore I rigged a funnel with a long flexible spout zip tied to the push pit that worked great, one of the crew recommended a cigarette butt in it for something to aim at
Ha! Reminds me of signs I used to see in some Army latrines: "Here's the deal: You don't throw butts in our urinal, we won't piss in your ash tray!" 😛
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:57   #82

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Are you serious. Well if you must know I do it all the time, Just not into the wind.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:34   #83

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

.....never whittle toward yourself nor pee against the wind.

You haven't peed overboard or into a scupper? Then you have never worn real "oil pants".

You can do it on your knees when it is rough enough,or you're in a small boat.

Ann T Cate-watch the movie Master & Commander very carefully & you will see a "head" in use. That movie is so realistic! See something different every time I watch it

Mighty long winter & still not fit for outside boat work here.
Old 28-03-2016, 12:42   #84

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I'm beginning to think we've gone way too far not only with political correctness, but also nonsense like this subject.

Pee over the side if you wish, people have been doing so for eons; not only in the ocean, but in lakes and rivers of all sizes, not to mention the local swim pool. Oh, you think people don't do that? If so, you're kidding yourself.

You can tell little Mary or little Johnny they should not pee in the pool, but when necessity strikes, like it or not, it's going to happen and that's why they put loads of chemicals in the pool water and that to me is a more valid reason NOT to swim in a public pool.

I do agree we should not pee in the pool if possible, and also small lakes if used for local drinking water. However, anywhere else? Just piss on it!

Next thing you know, the 'activists' will want to train whales and other large creatures in the ocean to crap in certain areas or something just as silly where they can build a big facility to sanitize it.

There have been many instances of people caught in certain life or death situations such as mining catastrophes, who have had to drink their own urine, many of whom lived to tell about it. The reason many don't wish to discuss such things is because they are squeamish or believe 'nice' folk do not talk about such vulgar things.

Get real people, it depends upon where you are and whom you are with that will form your decision . . . to pee or not to pee.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:55   #85

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
Something that MAY make a difference to those that don't pee over the side. Urine is sanitary, not like poop. Check with a medical person. Pee is preferable to tap water in most countries for washing out a wound.
I'm surprised it took 6 pages for somebody to mention the fact that urine is sterile, I was going to say it. Basically your adding a little salt and other things to the water. Also where do you think all the sea creatures defecate? As for pee bottles, large Pace Picante sauce bottles don't seem to stink as bad as other bottles. I definitely pee in the ocean away from land, not as often in very large fresh water lakes.
Old 28-03-2016, 12:56   #86

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
.....never whittle toward yourself nor pee against the wind.

You haven't peed overboard or into a scupper? Then you have never worn real "oil pants".

You can do it on your knees when it is rough enough,or you're in a small boat.

Ann T Cate-watch the movie Master & Commander very carefully & you will see a "head" in use. That movie is so realistic! See something different every time I watch it

Mighty long winter & still not fit for outside boat work here.
Hey Deblen, I knew you were 'down easterner' as soon as i saw "oil pants" and i know all about them too.

As for outside work weather, I taught I'd tell ye we're goin' sailing tomorrow. The forecast is for the upper teens and sunshine all day. You'm just livin' on t' wrong side of dis country m'bye.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:05   #87

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Hey Deblen, I knew you were 'down easterner' as soon as i saw "oil pants" and i know all about them too.

As for outside work weather, I taught I'd tell ye we're goin' sailing tomorrow. The forecast is for the upper teens and sunshine all day. You'm just livin' on t' wrong side of dis country m'bye.
You a lost Newfie? Tunderin J. bye! Big feed a scrunchins a Newf'll tan on an ice floe. Tuff you!!
Old 28-03-2016, 13:22   #88

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

This is a really important subject. I've gone over twice. Once leaving Waikiki to Keehi lagoon, alone, just before dark. I don't know how but I just got bounced out of the inflatable. Luckily some kayakers saw me The other time was at Kodiak Ak I was launching crab pots off the stack by hand and I got my foot caught in the web. At first nobody saw me. The other crew member saw me when he through the last bouy. My brother fell off the dock at Kodiak late at night ,They found him 4 weeks later on one of the small islands across the channel( back in 84). Any one can go over, anytime, I believe many of them are taking a piss when nobody is watching.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:49   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

As a singlehander I can't believe that anyone would pee over the side. It's just dangerous. Here is a quote from the singlehanded sailing book:
Quote:
One most memorable instance, when I was on my knees pissing off the transom (still clipped in) and the boat decided to round up. So back up to the helm, board shorts still around my ankles, peeing all over myself and the cockpit, so that I can stop the pilot, dump the sheet, drive down, sheet back in, etc. But that's what single-handing is all about. It's not always pretty, but you get there.
The solutions is a vinegar bottle with the top cut off. Slip a line through the handle. Put a loop around a winch. After use just toss it overboard and let it drag for 30 seconds. Simple in the roughest conditions.
Old 28-03-2016, 14:00   #90
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This thread gives a whole new meaning to being PC
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote