Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 09:31   #46

Boat: Lagoon 420-41'4" Martha R
Re: dying while cruising

We had a guest pass while sailing BVI waters. All aboard were US citizens. My bro in law and I, owners of the boat, were questioned several times at different police stations. Our friend was just snorkeling when he waved for help, by the time someone got to him he was gone. COR performed by doc and nurse until rescue boat arrived. Did not drown but that’s what the coroner put on death certificate. We were originally not allowed to identify the deceased as we were not family, but that changed when we pressed the issue. BVI held the body for several weeks before releasing it to a local funeral home whom shipped him to Puerto Rico where he was cremated. Ashes then FedEx home. It was a big hassle. Everything worked on island time.
Quiet Riot 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:57   #47

Boat: 35' sloop

I guess it would all depend on just where you expired. I have a will. Sail alone, and am an organ donor. (I'd like to be recylced) Now then, who will see the will? Can they read it? Will they care or not? Will I?
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:19   #48

Boat: '99 Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think your family asked you very important questions and you need to leave specific answers and do a POA with someone who will carry them out as a neutral party.

I certainly wouldn't ask, and have not read any responses, of a bunch of unknown sailing forum members.
All powers under a POA end upon the principal’s death. At that point, it's up to the executor(s) if there is a will, and/or the trustee(s) if there is a trust in place.
rfh927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:33   #49

The times I've sailed on others vessels I told them, "If I check out at sea, throw me over the side!" We laughed about it knowing the implications but I was Dead Serious!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:35   #50

Boat: Dream 45'

Dear All,

I've been collecting information regarding several issues, including this one. Below is what I've got compiled so far, and later I'll be reviewing the text to add other new relevant points. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

"Death at Sea

See International Medical Guide for Ships.

Take lots of photos. Do not edit them or delete any. Keep them on the card in the camera. You can transfer them to your computer but do not erase the originals on the camera.

Do the same with video, video everything, try to get in one shot the body and the GPS location. Do not stop the camera when moving from the body to the GPS. All tape and memory cards are time coded so done well it will help you imensely. film the body intact and naked so they can see no nasty holes or missing bits ( head etc) and also get a shot of one of them infrared thermometer showing the deceased's temp has hit ambient... that will also be a handy keepsake for their rellies.

The most important thing to do is log the position and time of death and apparent cause into the logbook by the master of the vessel and reporting to the authorities as soon as possible, ie nearest Embassy/Consulate for the vessel's flagstate. If you are so far from land that you cant keep the body also log the date time and position of the disposal into the log book with signatures of master and witnesses.

Then sail to the closest FRIENDLY port.

Registration. The vessel must comply not only with maritime law, but with the law of the nation it represents. If unable to contact authorities over ssb or sat phone, or unable to to handle the vessel, activate an EPIRB.

If approached by other vessels,/ships, ask for the testimony of what they see to be registered in your log and theirs.

Sometimes they will divert a freighter or other large ship, who do have refrigerators big enough to store the body.

Consider wrap it in a blanket/plastic (or better: Get a military body bag, they are tough and seal real well) and place it in the dinghy, towed behind the boat. The smell will be unbearable for a few days, but it would be better than being charged with murder then placed in a third-world prison to rot. There should be a 24 hr. time limit on keeping the body around. There are health reasons for disposing of it, and also mental health ones.

If in a lifeboat or raft (already declared emergency), you should should get rid of any cadavers muy rapido due to the effect they will have on survivor morale and general state of mind.

A rather unpleasant thing that cadavers do fairly early on is void their bowels, not really what you want on a small boat.

You should talk with your partner about what you want/expect; and I think it's wise to think about it beforehand so as to plan, as a belowdecks death will require moving the corpse, how? before or after rigor mortis? clothe body for burial? Stitch through the nose? Which sail bag to use? Which weight? It will be slightly easier to handle if you've thought about it before, so there will be less pressure/stress on you.

Our plan should I die below deck. 1. Make sure I'm dead. 2 put mine and her weight belts on me. 3. Make sure I'm dead. 4. Zip me into the single sleeping bag. 5. Make sure I'm dead. 6. Truss the sleeping bag with me in it like a pork loin roll.7. Make sure my feet are facing the companion way. 8. Take bitter end to cockpit. 9. Tie to sea anchor.10. Start engine and use full speed. 11. Deploy sea anchor.12. Step aside and wave good bye.

Also, signed and notarized documents expressly ordering immediate burial at sea in case of death. And a testament explicitly giving the survivor (or heirs) full onwership of the boat (with liabilities covered by insurance). This should include a paragraph noting that the survivor takes over as Master and owner of the boat with all the responsibilities and priviledges associated therewith, including sailing the boat to any destination, having it transferred to any destination by any means or sale of the boat. That brings up the question "before hand" for cruisers planning voyages as to how the nitty, gritty details are going to be handled and hopefully avoided so as to minimize this "Twilight Zone" between death and closing out the legal details. Not being able to close out the legal details can be really expensive both financially and psychologically for the survivor.

For instance, ownership of the boat and other real property of the "missing" person. Having documents that clearly and legally pass ownership to the survivor is, IMHO, very important. Especially if you are in a foreign country and they won't let the boat, etc., depart because the "owner" is not present.

Attention to detail is very important in such legal matters - e.g. in Florida the word "or" in a title means either party can sell whereas "and" means both parties must be present and in agreement. Life insurance, legal assistance insurance are also important $$$ to help handle the problem. "
iabmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:14   #51

You should have a will posted with your executors.
Separately they should also have a list of where you have buried the loot (investments, other assets etc).
Brian Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 13:21   #52

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I've had this conversation with my wife. Told her to do what she wants. I'll be dead.
Interesting how many folks express their funeral wishes as if they're going to be around to see themselves off...
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 14:40   #53

Sounds like may be a plan in place for an early demise ...... better sleep with one eye open!

Cheers!

Or maybe not
captainwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 15:15   #54

Boat: EDELCAT33

Dead bodies are quite heavy and hard to handle. At sea level on a tropical setting you have 24 hours before smelling will start, so if the next port is reachable within that timeframe then make a bee line to that port as fast and safely.
If we are talking more than 3 days, consider throwing the body overboard. In warm waters unless you wrap the body in anchor and chain, the body will float as gases will develop quite quickly. Birds would have a good meal.

If we are talking about a traditional couple, then high chance the guy is the one to go which puts the women in the chore of what to do with the body if by bad luck the person dies inside the boat. Unless things have changed ( I could have outdated assessments) most companion female cruisers have limited skills in tack and blocking and will have a hard time moving a body out of the living quarters.

My own opinion is that if you can’t get to port in 24 nor get help at sea from a passing vessel, you can toss the body overboard is best for all, taking enough pictures to create a trail of evidence for authorities.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising