Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2024, 11:42   #1

Early Hurricane

Low latitude ........ man this better head north soon or it's going to catch people where they think they are safe.
Tobago was on the list of targets predicted friday....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	449512122_872349644751917_6703186086077110735_n (1).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	291529  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 12:56   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Early Hurricane

There's another discussion about it going on here:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3913355

This is a very unusual hurricane for this time of year. I believe it has set the record for the fastest intensification in the Atlantic basin for this time of year. Hate to say it, but it's probably a sign of the new normal.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 13:02   #3

Not going North at this time it appears. I’m in St. Thomas and no one is concerned here as the track is many 100’s of miles away.
kindrunnermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 13:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
There's another discussion about it going on here:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3913355

This is a very unusual hurricane for this time of year. I believe it has set the record for the fastest intensification in the Atlantic basin for this time of year. Hate to say it, but it's probably a sign of the new normal.
Thanks, I couldn't see one, thought their might be.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 15:05   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Since I've been sailing, the late 1970's, hurricane season in North America has been June to December. People behaved as if it was May to November, but it wasn't what was official. What's been missing is that there have always been odd "out of season" storms, when conditions produced them. I think we're going to see more extension of the seasons, if the seas continue to warm.

And I hope people survive Beryl, it's building to be nasty.

Ann
Old 30-06-2024, 16:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

At the end of the day....in my humble opinion....it's a throw of the dice....nobody can " predict" anything, especially the weather.
There is not a single person on the planet that can predict with any accuracy, where and when the next hurricane will happen or any other weather formation.

Some assumptions can be made, but predictions no...

My big toe swelling is as good a prediction source as any weather guru armed with the latest and greatest computer modeling equipment.

Having said all that, the "path" a hurricane may take is a more predictable event, but even then, the " cone of error" gets wider with each passing day. By the third day, the cone may be several hundreds of miles wide, but people remain fixated on the "track"

While we all remain glued to our TV screen to watch the latest and greatest, even the NHC tends to err on the side of caution.

Youtube is awash with self proclaimed " experts" expounding on their particular point of view regarding any hurricane, their goal seemingly to attract more advertising revenue than anything else

Well, for sure, it's a talking point. It enables one to reminisce about the " one that came in the back door in '04".....etc.

If anything....I'm fascinated by the " names' chosen for these storms..a subject for another day perhaps.....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane