Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2014, 08:33   #181
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
That's what I called the most serious danger earlier before HS opened my eyes to worse danger: intentional propagation. The woman sneaking out is almost as bad. I wouldn't term that action as Africanism in any way. That's how people are everywhere.

Thx for the update SFH.

Good luck Atoll! How about taking a SPOT with you for our entertainment?
the aid agency's dealing with the epidemic expects a large spike around the end of the month.......

ps i'm not a cheapskate like some people......i have a sat phone to keep the owners happy
Old 15-08-2014, 10:38   #182
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The BBC can be a good news source, although they have a most curious perversion about converting acronyms into proper names, i.e. the space agency N.A.S.A. is called "Nasa" by the BBC, as opposed to NASA by the US press) and some confusion over our Washington state versus D.C.

I don't see that the African countries need any "western" aid unless they have no domestic source of rubber or plastic gloves. Denude the forests, kill the fruit bats (the native source of the virus), and shoot the monkeys. Same way that all the "western" nations conquered the local carnivores and environment. Or, find their own way.

Shades of Kipling and his now politically incorrect phrase "White man's burden". Surely, someone in Africa can help it to civilize itself, in some form or fashion that doesn't include massive disease and poverty and tribal slaughters.

Or perhaps, ebola is just the appropriate Darwinian screening for folks who absolutely MUST kiss the dead. And the rest of the world is just collateral damage.
Old 15-08-2014, 10:41   #183
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The BBC can be a good news source, although they have a most curious perversion about converting acronyms into proper names, i.e. the space agency N.A.S.A. is called "Nasa" by the BBC, as opposed to NASA by the US press) and some confusion over our Washington state versus D.C.

I don't see that the African countries need any "western" aid unless they have no domestic source of rubber or plastic gloves. Denude the forests, kill the fruit bats (the native source of the virus), and shoot the monkeys. Same way that all the "western" nations conquered the local carnivores and environment. Or, find their own way.

Shades of Kipling and his now politically incorrect phrase "White man's burden". Surely, someone in Africa can help it to civilize itself, in some form or fashion that doesn't include massive disease and poverty and tribal slaughters.

Or perhaps, ebola is just the appropriate Darwinian screening for folks who absolutely MUST kiss the dead. And the rest of the world is just collateral damage.

There there, keep taking your medicine, sleep will come !

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15-08-2014, 10:41   #184

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Surely, someone in Africa can help it to civilize itself, in some form or fashion that doesn't include massive disease and poverty and tribal slaughters.
Yes of course. Rid the World of greed. That would do it.
Old 15-08-2014, 13:51   #185

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
We do not have a cure for polio; we have a vaccine to prevent it. The rare patients who still contract it are seriously affected.
I understand, still strange how with all the advancements in all aspects of life, the world can only "treat" instead of cure/vaccinate diseases/viruses
Old 15-08-2014, 13:58   #186
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Trying searching "polio workers held hostage" to see how a number of nations and factions have stopped polio vaccinations. Even when efforts for a 100% vaccination are funded or fundable, some folks just prefer to leave things in some god's hands.

Whoever coined the phrase "Can't fix stupid" was almost right.
Old 15-08-2014, 17:37   #187
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

cape verdes putting vessels in quarentine now,how long before the caribean islands start quarentining vessels arriving from the islands off the west coast of africa?

canaries,cape verdes,madeira?

Island Nation Orders Vessel Quarantine Over Ebola Outbreak - gCaptain Maritime & Offshore News
Old 15-08-2014, 17:50   #188

Boat: O'Day 28

I'd do it today. This is far beyond inconvenience.
Old 16-08-2014, 06:58   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

ps i'm not a cheapskate like some people......i have a sat phone to keep the owners happy
Oh ... Dat's funny right there!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 16-08-2014, 10:06   #190

Boat: Alpha 42 #3

Here's a link to fact-based updates http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/
Old 16-08-2014, 13:46   #191

"A hospital in Alicante, in the eastern Valencia region of Spain, activated alert protocols on Saturday night over two new possible cases of Ebola, according to reports in Spanish online news sites, after a young Nigerian man was admitted with fever and “several other symptoms” of the disease."

Health Authorities In Alicante Activate Protocols Over Two More Possible Ebola Cases in Spain | The Spain Report

Don't shake hands:

"We have to drop our traditional behaviours like shaking of hands and nobody should be offended”, he stated while briefing State House correspondents on the outcome of the meeting"
http://www.informationng.com/2014/08...s-fashola.html
Old 16-08-2014, 13:51   #192
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Very interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today about ebola. Interviews with CDC and other parties who are sometimes in the know. Their conclusions? People are dying and have died because there are no exam gloves to be had in those nations. (!) And people who followed protocol still sometimes got infected. And exactly how airborne, or not airborne, the virus is, seems to be still uncertain. Which also places the protective protocols in question. Leading at least one of the professionals to say it is not a matter of "if" but rather just "when" ebola hits the EU and US and the rest of the world.

Serious interviews with serious professionals raising serious questions, not scare talk but far from reassuring.
Old 16-08-2014, 14:23   #193

In the YouTube video of the testifying before congress, the experts said the health professionals are getting it from each other-- as in a few go out into the community (back to their house for example) and catch the virus and then go back to work and give it to each other in staff quarters, etc.

Personally, I agree that there is no consensus about "airborne"-- if one sneezes and the sneeze droplets land on you, that is kind of airborne.

Once my dog got sick and had a seizure and peed when he had the seizure and dog pee got in my eye (ewwwwwwww, how I didn't puke, I don't know). It happens.
Old 16-08-2014, 16:36   #194

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
.. And exactly how airborne, or not airborne, the virus is, seems to be still uncertain. Which also places the protective protocols in question. Leading at least one of the professionals to say it is not a matter of "if" but rather just "when" ebola hits the EU and US and the rest of the world.

Serious interviews with serious professionals raising serious questions, not scare talk but far from reassuring.
That might play in Peoria but I suspect most of us who can read feared that from the get-go.
Old 17-08-2014, 10:31   #195

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It seems civil order is starting to breakdown, in a very bad way.

zeenews.india.com/news/world/patients-flee-attack-on-monrovia-ebola-unit-witnesses_955130.html

This has been reported through various news agencies so it seems confirmed.

Quote:
Monrovia: Armed men claiming that "there's no Ebola" in Liberia raided a quarantine centre for the deadly disease in Monrovia overnight, prompting at least 20 patients infected with the deadly virus to flee, a witness said Sunday.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc