Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 23:39   #31

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: ebola fears in the canary islands,arc cancelled over ebola fears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Amazing someone worries about ebola that we do not have in Canary Islands and says nothing about 2014 chikungunya outbreak in the Caribbean, that is a real threat and leaves very bad, very long lasting effects. Do not ask me how I know.

Chikungunya outbreaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b.

B. Sorry to hear you have encountered this nasty little bug! We have a number of friends that are in the same boat -- so to speak. It is not something I want to experience.

Feel better, Robyn

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
so far ,so good but..............

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/pdf/fact-sheet.pdf

How is Ebola virus spread?

Ebola-Reston appeared in a primate research facility in Virginia, where it may have been transmitted from monkey to monkey through the air.

While ALL Ebola virus species have displayed the ability to be spread through airborne particles (aerosols) under research conditions, this type of spread has not been documented among humans in a real-world setting,
such as a hospital or household.
Just finished a month of freelance work on land here in Washington D.C. Big African summit planed to start here next week. Lot's of people from the African nations attending including Ebola nations. Looks like I'm getting out just in time. Though there is this news concerning conditions at facilities housing the people flooding across the U.S. southern border from Central America:
DHS Report: Disease Spreading In Migrant Holding Facilities | The Daily Caller
Of course thousands have already been released into communities all across the U.S. already. Though the good news is Tuberculosis does not sound too bad when compared to the EBOLA virus. Can't get back on board soon enough.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:16   #33
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

Ebola-Reston appeared in a primate research facility in Virginia, where it may have been transmitted from monkey to monkey through the air.
I have been to this facility. Me and a friend were looking at barns in the area for a possible theatre. Security jumped and held us, very nervously and I didn't know why at the time. All that news I learned later after I read a book on emerging viruses. I believe this same barn held empty cages.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Of course thousands have already been released into communities all across the U.S. already. Though the good news is Tuberculosis does not sound too bad when compared to the EBOLA virus. Can't get back on board soon enough.
This documentary scared the bananas out of me:
TB Silent Killer
Old 02-08-2014, 08:04   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I have been to this facility. Me and a friend were looking at barns in the area for a possible theatre. Security jumped and held us, very nervously and I didn't know why at the time. All that news I learned later after I read a book on emerging viruses. I believe this same barn held empty cages.
SM...

Can't believe you're still with us after the discovery of the prior use of the barn...

abc news quote:

A good scare can kill you -- even if you're perfectly healthy. If a shock to the system is sufficient enough it can trigger a massive surge of adrenaline, stunning your heart so severely it ceases to beat.

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 02-08-2014, 08:06   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

It seems that the few cases of Ebola that were treated in the US, Britain, Philippines and Italy all recovered but there is a very high mortality rate in the African countries. I don't know what that says as it could have to do with early detection or more timely and better treatment. Or, all three of the above.

Edit: oh, bye the way, the CDC as had the virus for many years.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09   #37

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Someone posts a rather exaggerated paranoid article and it spawns 2 + pages of comments. Welcome to the internet.
Someone else said adios to CF awhile back in a very negative HUFF. Now he's back and bitching as usual. Welcome home Cap.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:31   #38

Boat: Beneteau 473

Oh snap!

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43   #39

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate re: Ebola Fears in the Canary Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Oh snap!

A photogenic mind like mine is not always a blessing.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
It seems that the few cases of Ebola that were treated in the US, Britain, Philippines and Italy all recovered but there is a very high mortality rate in the African countries. I don't know what that says as it could have to do with early detection or more timely and better treatment. Or, all three of the above.

Edit: oh, bye the way, the CDC as had the virus for many years.
with a epidemic of this type,where you have an incubation period of 21 days before the virus becomes highly infectious,and then fatal, illegal migration accounts for one of the clandestine routes,that it will find its way into your home.

in europe we have about 10,000 west african migrants arriving in small boats every month,every one is a potential carrier.

https://www.unodc.org/documents/toc/...C_MIGRANTS.pdf

also bear in mind recreational drug use,and where it is coming from,you could be sitting next to a user right now.....and guess where those drugs have come from passing through many unclean hands on the way...
GUINEA,the number one drug and ebola capital of africa.

worst of all it is a "SILENT" import,with no real effective way of controlling it or more importantly ways to quarantine the handlers/disease carriers of this potential vector.

Guinea-Bissau and the South Atlantic Cocaine Trade | Center for American Progress
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If Ebola is hard to spread, requiring fluid contact, and doesn't linger in aerosol form (some viral diseases can linger in aerosols for more than two hours in a room), then were the two infected American health workers simply sloppy and unqualified?

I don't doubt the victims can be safely isolated, but consider that Ebola literally is one of the diseases specified as Biosafety Level 4, one step under the mythological Andromeda Strain. There are something like 1500 BSL3 rated labs and facilities in the US alone, but only 17 (depending on who is counting) that are rated BSL4.

And for some reason, Emory and the CDC got together and, ah, conveniently upgraded some other small building to the exotic BSL4 status instead of taking the patients to an existing facility??

Starting to sound like a promo for the new season of The Walking Dead. No problem dealing with it, unless you're one of the fifty to ninety percent (more debates?) fatality rate. And somehow, still, no one raises the issue of closing the borders in those countries where it has spread.

All we need now, is for someone to figure out how Vladimir Putin is behind all this. (sigh)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:10   #42

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Good book about that by Richard Preston.

The Hot Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If Ebola is hard to spread, requiring fluid contact, and doesn't linger in aerosol form (some viral diseases can linger in aerosols for more than two hours in a room), then were the two infected American health workers simply sloppy and unqualified?

I don't doubt the victims can be safely isolated, but consider that Ebola literally is one of the diseases specified as Biosafety Level 4, one step under the mythological Andromeda Strain. There are something like 1500 BSL3 rated labs and facilities in the US alone, but only 17 (depending on who is counting) that are rated BSL4.

And for some reason, Emory and the CDC got together and, ah, conveniently upgraded some other small building to the exotic BSL4 status instead of taking the patients to an existing facility??

Starting to sound like a promo for the new season of The Walking Dead. No problem dealing with it, unless you're one of the fifty to ninety percent (more debates?) fatality rate. And somehow, still, no one raises the issue of closing the borders in those countries where it has spread.

All we need now, is for someone to figure out how Vladimir Putin is behind all this. (sigh)
i probably should have mentioned that outside the body the virus can survive between 3-10 days and is highly infectious.

the reasoning for not closing borders yet is that you are not infectious untill after the 21 day incubation period,by which time you will have a fever and become seriously ill,hence the scanning at airports for passengers with a fever.

still a ticking time bomb,untill you have bodies that need disposal of
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

very good article here,outlining the lower risks if governments can control the spread,though sharing a taxi with a carrier proved fatal for the other 5 passangers!

Taxis, planes and viruses: How deadly Ebola can spread | Reuters
Old 02-08-2014, 10:02   #45
cruiser

Send one happy horny virus on a plane into a hospital ill equipped and retro fitted into a lab. Happy horny virus finds nice voluptuous sexy MRSA virus needed a good shag. Baby viruses decide to go on a party ride in their Buick looking for tasty folk, writing a story about the experience on a giant scroll.

"Just your typical stupid audacious megalomaniacal human beings," one of them wrote, "in believing they could control and tell nature what to do. Didn't any of them see "Jurassic Park'?"

But, as my friend pointed out to me yesterday, someone who has a degree in medical anthropology, no matter what they do, the virus will spread. It will come in some other way eventually. Pandemics have never been able to be contained, really.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc