Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2012, 09:30   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick
Re: Emergency Medical Training for Cruisers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
I've just been looking at that and even just the first chapter forms an extremely useful First Aid guide whether on or offshore. This kind of stuff should be taught in schools as a life skill. The only question mark is that recently there has been a focus on heart massage over artificial respiration in the UK first aid awareness campaigns, whereas the Captain's Guide puts the emphasis the other way round.
The new cardiac arrest protocol does not include breathing ie. mouth to mouth or mask, for the single lay provider. The emphasis is on restoring the cardic function and the breathing will follow. I teach this as an EFR instructor and over the years, as more diseases have appeared, there was much less willingness to do mouth to mouth to a stranger. Not the case for us cruising with people we know and sometimes even love! If you can get more training, as has been suggest here, you will be far more comfortable. I am also a paramedic and I have suggested to others that you go to your Doctor and explain what you are trying to do. Most of them are happy to teach you how to start an IV and give injections. They may also be willing to give you the scripts for the meds you may need. I also suggest that this is not boradcast to everyone around your boat world.

Rule number one - Be safe and have fun!

Rule number two - Do not scare me and do not hurt me!!!
Old 26-01-2012, 10:08   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" The only question mark is that recently there has been a focus on heart massage over artificial respiration in the UK "
In the US, CPR certifications and training all taught breath-and-compress UNTIL this year. The standards have changed following multiple studies that apparently all agree the breathing part of CPR is not necessary. If oyu can do it, if you have extra hands or equipment, fine. But the current training has I think all shifted to the new standard, which is to perform chest compressions only and to keep on doing so as long as physically possible.

Which leaves an odd problem for "good samaritans" in the US, since legally you are supposed to respond as trained and certified--but now, that's the wrong response.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" The only question mark is that recently there has been a focus on heart massage over artificial respiration in the UK "
In the US, CPR certifications and training all taught breath-and-compress UNTIL this year. The standards have changed following multiple studies that apparently all agree the breathing part of CPR is not necessary. If oyu can do it, if you have extra hands or equipment, fine. But the current training has I think all shifted to the new standard, which is to perform chest compressions only and to keep on doing so as long as physically possible.

Which leaves an odd problem for "good samaritans" in the US, since legally you are supposed to respond as trained and certified--but now, that's the wrong response.
From what I've understood (as an EMT-B and former voly firefighter) the breathing is still plenty valuable but that a lot of folks are reluctant to do it because of the bodily fluids transfer risks, and that it's hard to remember the rhythm and sequence.

Just hopping on some one and pumping away is a lot easier to remember than "x amount of compressions, then y amount of breathing remembering your little safety mask that you'll never have, then x compressions".

It's more of a practical problem. If folks could reliably doing the breathing/compressions in the right order, that would still be preferable.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, medical