Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2024, 17:59   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Emergency position signalling devices.

The title is intentionally non-specific!
I am considering a 600 mile offshore passage next summer, from the Chesapeake to Halifax. This has a maximum offshore distance of about 150 miles. Target time frame is mid-June. The boat is generally offshore-ready and has crossed the Atlantic and back (previous owner), but some stuff is aging and some technology has advanced.

I'm considering EPIRB/PLB/etc right now.

The boat has an EPIRB. The battery is well past its "best by" date. It still tests good (self test includes battery test), and I'm confident it will give at least a few signals before dying -- and since I'm currently confined the Chesapeake, I'm OK with it. Battery replacement is not economically viable.

I have no personal devices.

So, there are three types of signalling devices:
1) EPIRB, around $650 and up
2) PLB, around $250 and up
3) AIS beacons, starting just over $300
4) Not really another category, but a combination of 2 and 3, for example the ACR ResQLink 450 for $520 (yeah, about the price of a #2 and a #3).

So, I need a way to rescue the boat, and a way to rescue my crew. I feel that I can make do with 2 personal beacons of some sort (likely will have 3-4 aboard, but can swap beacons when going on deck).

Some questions:
* Do I need a ship's EPIRB? A PLB transmits for only 24 hours (but I would have 2 and could use them in series), they only work if you hold them out of the water (but you won't have much else to do will you?), and they aren't administratively linked to the details of your boat. For a one week near-coastal trip in the US and Canada, an EPIRB seems rather pricey. And an argument could be made that you are almost guaranteed to have one PLB (the on watch crew) in any accident, while there are theoretical accidents that you won't get the EPIRB in time.
* PLB or AIS? AIS allows the ship to find you. PLB allows the USCG to find you (and replaces or supplements or extends the operational battery life of your EPIRB).
* Is the duo-device a good idea? If I go overboard in moderate conditions, I'd love the ship to track me on AIS, but I'm not sure I want the USCG scrambling a helo when I was picked up in 5 minutes -- and there is no way to tell them you don't need them any more until they are within VHF range. It would be nice if there was a way to select one or the other.

I could buy a combo (or one of each type) for each crew, plus an EPIRB, for just shy of $3000. Or I could buy two combos and nothing else for $1K. Or 2 PLB and an EPIRB for a bit over the $1K mark. Other than the whole hog, it's a bit less about the cost than "which is best."

And, yes, I know that in a perfect world, cost is irrelevant. 4 combo devices, an EPIRB, a hydrostatic release (why do the mount holes NEVER match when you upgrade?), a SPOT so you can have 2 way communication, an extra EPIRB in the life raft in case the one in the ship is lost, etc, etc. -- and the safety gear for a day sail is no less than that for a winter time Cape Horn rounding.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:49   #2

Re: Emergency position signalling devices.

Yea they’re all expensive. But I guess they are also priceless if you need one.

I do sympathize. My two PLBs are due for new batteries. But even the batteries…. Jeesh. I do also carry EPIRB (AIS equipped). I wouldn’t have bought both at the same time, but have never needed either.

For some reason I get more sense of security from having the EPIRB aboard. Probably because it cost more.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23   #3

And you didn’t mention a life raft. ; )
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:59   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Cheapest option? Probably new batteries for the EPIRB (as long as it's a 406MHz) plus an InReach or SpotX. A new EPIRB might not be much more than replacing batteries in the old one. You might find third-party, DIY battery replacement kits, but I have no idea about their quality.

The EPIRB is your best chance of rescue. That's the starting point. I like the InReach as a secondary because of the two-way text and tracking features.

That said, these are the absolute minimum. A PLB or two would give you options in a sudden or chaotic emergency. As mentioned, some sort of life raft would be essential, too. You might get lucky with just a dinghy if you're only doing the one offshore passage, but you're taking chances, hoping everything goes to plan.

Speaking of planning, remember that the waters along this route are dangerously cold. Once you get wet, you literally only have minutes before you start losing the use of your extremities, and hence your ability to self-rescue. This is by far your biggest risk factor.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
And you didn’t mention a life raft. ; )
Oh, there is lots more than signaling devices to be done! I do have a life raft, but it is several years out of date. As I get closer, I will decide on service or replacement.

Same with the MOM8. And myriad smaller details, like dyneema lifelines that are probably 10 years old.
Making the trip offshore non-stop lets us start the summer cruise faster, but all the details make it tempting to go up the coast! LOL
Old Yesterday, 05:20   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Definitely an EPRIP, even 150NM offshore will most likely involve a rescue taking more than 24 hours. Scheduling the use of PLB's is not something you should be worrying about in a critical situation.

If you decide to buy an EPIRB with user replaceable batteries. It is amazing how quickly 10 years (from the battery install) clicks down. You may even need to replace after a failed test prior to the 10 years.

Manufacturer only battery replacements are a license to print money.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
If you decide to buy an EPIRB with user replaceable batteries. It is amazing how quickly 10 years (from the battery install)

Manufacturer only battery replacements are a license to print money.
My existing unit has a manufacturer replaceable battery. The cost to replace it is about half the cost of a new unit, and the new battery lasts about half as long as a new unit with user replaceable batteries. Replacing my existing battery is dumb in so many ways!
Old Yesterday, 08:44   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

While expensive the combo PLB/AIS are a great option. The best MOB recovery is your own boat but if one watch you fall and nobody notices for 3+ hours that makes things a lot more complicated. You could go AIS only but personally I am not willing to give that up to save $200 or so.

I would say the ideal option with no downsides beyond cost is 4 combo PLB/AIS and 1 EPIRB although depending on brand/model you are looking at $2,500 to $3,000.

If you wanted to save some cash then maybe just 4 AIS only beacons and an EPRIB for long range signalling. The other option is to ditch the EPIRB but I do prefer them for the longer lived batteries.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Maybe someone with more personal AIS beacon experience than I could tell me how many lives these have saved. My only experience has been with false activations on board, which NEVER generated any response from nearby vessels.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14   #10

Boat: Oyster 435

Unless it has been changed the PLB3 does not alert to DSC. The VHF DSC alarm is important to alert the off watch crew that the unit has triggered (and presumably a COB event). For that reason it is a non starter for us. On our boat we use and EPIRB and AIS transmitters (MOB1) in inflatable PFDs. The AIS with DSC function are the significant players on a COB event. EPIRB in ships distress.
A significant amount (I've heard 98%) of locator beacon alerts to the USCG are false or accidental activations. While I’m not opposed to PLBs the thought of 3 or 4 of these on board leads me to believe that our chance of an accidental activation would increase.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

PLB is ALMOST functionally equivalent to an EPIRB, and is an excellent backup, including for the case that you somehow get separated from the EPIRB. For that reason, I keep a PLB in my life jacket, in addition to the battery-in-date EPIRB in my grab bag.

Where PLB is worse -- less battery life (but plenty for 99.9% of cases), and the necessity of keeping the antenna pointed in the right direction.

AIS beacons are for MOB recovery, not for emergency signalling if something happens to the boat. Totally different purpose.

Good practice in my opinion would be to have in-date batteries in the EPIRB, plus a PLB on your person. EPIRBs are not all that expensive, considering they may well save your life one day.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc