Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2019, 08:14   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30
EPIRB Lanyard Catastrophic Failure

I recently purchased a new ARC Global Fix V4 EPIRB from ARC to replace my old ARC Global Fix ipro EPIRB that needed a new battery and I decided to replace the unit as the electronics are 10 years old and they cannot be registered after the unit is 12 years old. I was in the process of decommissioning the old one. I was with a friend and he asked if he could deploy the lanyard, he did so by pulling the lanyard (not aggressively) and when it was fully deployed it disconnected from the EPIRB and we looked at each other in shock as we both realized the possible result. The lanyard spool had broken and disconnected from the unit. The unit had never been dropped or abused in anyway and was stored in the holder in a safe location high on a bulkhead. Imagine having to abandon ship and deploy the EPIRB from your life raft and seeing it float off with the next wave. Inspecting the spool it looks like a poor design for the critically important purpose of keeping the EPIRB attached to the raft. If you have one I strongly suggest deploying the lanyard and inspect the connection to the EPIRB (don't worry this won't activate the EPIRB). The new V4 EPIRB has a completely redesigned lanyard connection. From what I can see on line, the new ARC Global Fix ipro EPIRBS have the same feeble lanyard design as the older ones. Be safe out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPIRB.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	184577  
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 17:46   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: EPIRB Lanyard Catastrophic Failure

Holy crap! I’m going to check mine right now.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb