Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 15:31   #31

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Fire Fighting

Remember, in an electrical fire, once the power is shut off, the resistance that initiated the combustion of the components (insulation, plastic circuit boards, surrounding fuel resources) prevents reignition. Cooling and suffocating by the halotron or other gaseous extinguishing agents (including CO2), shuts down the continued burning.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 19:17   #32

Fire blanket

Think Safe 911-83700 Bright Orange Fire Blanket and Bag with Velcro Closure, 84" L X 62" W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NG8VBC..._MSdFybZQ1VMP7
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:55   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

There's very little difference in the molecular weight of argon (40) and CO2 (44) relative to air (29), so there's not much point in the added expense. Halon is particularly effective because it has a molecular weight of 149. The big advantage to foam is that it keeps the water in contact with the Class A material for cooling as well as excluding air, although note that fire department foam systems mix the stuff with air. Unfortunately, foam extinguishers are still rather expensive. Now if someone would come up with a beer foam extinguisher, we'd really be ahead - CO2 as the gas in the foam, and a huge market to keep prices down. Now that's thought. When faced by a fire, shake up a can of beer and let fly. Man, I've got a whole case of hand-held foam extinguishers in that locker. I bet Guinness is the most effective.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 09:30   #34
RPZ

For more fire blanket sources just search eBay using that term. There's plenty on there from about $12 and up. Might be a good idea to have several on an ocean passage or extended cruise.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 11:53   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

RPZ to answer your earlier question (I don't think anyone did), the same fire extinguisher can be USCG compliant or not based on the rack that holds it in place. The home version is simply a neck hanger, while the CG version has a clamping steel strap around the body.

Hey, I'm all for fire blankets but why more long cruises? Fires happen at the dock and on short cruises. I just missed seeing - my wife gave me a vivd description - what happened when a 50 Amp shore cable came loose at the boat across the dock from us in Clearwater Bay Marina, and fell into the salt water.

As long as we're talking about portable and readily extinguishers, the anatomical feature some narcisstic males refer to as their "Fire hose" is not an approved extinguisher for any possibly Class C fire. Saline solutions are good conductors, and the experience could be quite shocking.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 15:12   #36

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
There's very little difference in the molecular weight of argon (40) and CO2 (44) relative to air (29), so there's not much point in the added expense. Halon is particularly effective because it has a molecular weight of 149. The big advantage to foam is that it keeps the water in contact with the Class A material for cooling as well as excluding air, although note that fire department foam systems mix the stuff with air. Unfortunately, foam extinguishers are still rather expensive. Now if someone would come up with a beer foam extinguisher, we'd really be ahead - CO2 as the gas in the foam, and a huge market to keep prices down. Now that's thought. When faced by a fire, shake up a can of beer and let fly. Man, I've got a whole case of hand-held foam extinguishers in that locker. I bet Guinness is the most effective.
While I just love Guinness Stout (I like to CHEW my beer), I cannot see wasting it on a burning boat, even one I am living on. Seems a better use would be filling the tender with Guinness and casting off. Don't really want to lose the boat, but I sure don't want to waste Guinness Stout unnecessarily relative to its value as a beverage/food...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 17:28   #37

Boat: Oyster 66

My plan is to use my fire extinguishers first. If they don't control the fire then I have a water hose with an external connection. I hope I can get it rigged quick enough. I must practice this. If I get it rigged quick enough then I have access to more than 1000lt of fresh water. That has to have a good chance of working.

If I am too slow then it is abandon ship time. The hand held VHF is near the companionway as is the grab bag for the life raft or dinghy. I have a knife to cut the dinghy free fast next to it. Fire can get a grip so fast that the escape plan needs to be slick.

I do need to replace my old fire extinguishers and may wll get halon or a halon replacement instead of powder. It is a better extinguishant, especially halon and causes much less damage and mess, but is pretty expensive.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote