Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2013, 07:52   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Flares for old Very Pistol?

I live in Canada so that's probably not going to arrive in the mail. Perhaps if I cross the lake on our way out the St. Lawrence...thanks for the tip.

I really don't wish to have a "stealth weapon" or anything of that sort: just a sufficiently beefy flare gun that can be sleeved to fire off multiple flares without me worrying that its going to melt or crack. Of course, if it can fire a shotgun shell with birdshot to discourage boarders, that's not a bad thing. But it's not something I'd discuss on an internet forum in the current environment.

My concern arises from a pre-"9/11" flare off in which I participated to dispose of expired flares. An Orion gun cracked after about six of them over three minutes. It did not inspire confidence.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I live in Canada so that's probably not going to arrive in the mail.
Here is a Canadian source for you.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 14:58   #18

Thanks for the Canadian source! I found an old brass flare pistol in drawer after buying my current boat. It looks like it would be sweet as hell to shoot.

Its bigger than a 10 gauge, I was assuming 8 gauge, maybe it's some metric size, I never considered that possibility.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 15:26   #19

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Don't rely on lack of oxygen to prevent pyrotechnics from burning. They have all the oxygen they need built in. The gunpowder in a shotgun shell doesn't use oxygen from the atmosphere to burn. Neither does dynamite. Spontaneous combustion does need air.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 17:21   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mike, take a look at
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=217633

The conversion sleeve they are selling here may be what you are looking for. Assuming the existing barrel is the same as the H&K they intend it for.
You can find the bore details on line for any chamber. I made my own sleeve on a lathe where I work for my 26.5mm Polish army launcher. Fits 12 GA 2-1/4 inch flare cartridges . Any well equipped gun smith can also make one. There are also many to be found on line. They are officially called sub caliber inserts but you can find them under many descriptions. Make sure you know the correct bore. There have been many slightly different around that size.

By the way, do not get the idea you can chamber ordinary 12 ga ammunition with the insert. It won't fit and still be legal AND, I am told it is too much recoil.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sub+...w=1136&bih=651

Here is my launcher and pictures of the rounds. They are packed in 26.5 mm aluminum shells and the open end is sealed with melted wax. I suspect that these guys can tell you if proper cartridges are available or where to get a sleeve.

26.5 MM FLARES & PISTOLS - Bulk Ammo for Sale
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote