Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 20:43   #31

thank you all for the info and comments, much to ponder now.

Mongo is from my days in the Marine Corps, Mongo just pawn in game of life!
Mongo7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Actually down is not an acceptable choice in a maritime climate. Moisture degrades the ability of down to maintain the loft which provides the insulation. Down is superior when weight is critical and the climate is dry like mountaineering.

A better choice are the synthetic insulating materials like thinsulate.
IMHO it is blah.

I say this because I have been using a down vest for ten years now - seven out of them on the boat - from Sweden to Australia and back - and it is still OK.

I agree there will be some degradation and especially so if you wear cotton, wool and such like dark ages materials. But I wear my vest under a G-tex parka.

I used artificial insulation gloves for a time (Thinsulate or a clone) and chucked them away - they were not warm enough.

I say down is a great choice but like any other choice - one must know and observe the limitations.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:23   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
When it comes to a breathable set of farmer johns, I would suggest that fit is more important than brand name. I've discovered that my size in one brand's line doesn't fit me as well as the same size in another brand's line.

Forget brand. Get a set of foulies cut from a breathable fabric, and then purchase the ones that fit your body best. The point is to be comfy on watch, not to be wearing the logo that will impress the most folks down at the yacht club.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:28   #34
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Those cheap two quid leggings from the market are great!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:39   #35

Boat: Cape Dory
My Outdoor Research Gore-Tex rainjacket has been working great so far.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:07   #36

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
IMHO it is blah.

b.
We have a saying up here in the midwest and that is "Down is Death." If you get it damp loft is reduced. If you get it wet you are wet and have zero loft which is zero insulation. Without insulation you die which can happen in mid 40 degree F temperatures.

Why take a chance when synthetic materials don't carry the risk? Why do we use harnesses and life jackets? If you go over the side your down will be wet under your foulies.

On the other hand you can immerse thinsulate and it still insulates. It can save your life if for some reason you can't get out of the weather.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:27   #37

Location: Aboard, 8 years. Usually E.Coast of USA but right now we're in Havre de Grace, Maryland on C'peake Bay
Boat: Pearson 365 ketch, s/v Norne Gaest
I'm a delivery captain and am a big fan of Helly Hansen stuff. I like the pull on pants better than the 'bib' type pants. I do most of the deliveries alone so when I have to use the head I can get the pants down faster than the 'bib' style ;-) so I can get back on deck faster. I layer fleeces and 'under-armour'. I have several sets of 'waterproof' gloves so they can take turns drying out. I use ski goggles a lot when it's rough. Try to use only clear lenses... 'tinted' ones are not good at night. I also use a 'turtle-fur' as a face mask. Oddly enough, when it's really cold, I use tall green rubber boots that I got a wal-mart. The have a thick felt liner that's really warm.
If I ever meet that 'Tex' guy (as in Gore-tex) I'm going to shake his hand and buy him a beer :-)
oh,saying from my old ski-patrol days... "when it's wet & cold, cotton kills"
marineruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:40   #38

Once again thank you all for the insight, Now it is try on time. With all the info gleaned here it will be July before i find and buy what works for me! LOL
Mongo7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:54   #39

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:

We have a saying up here in the midwest and that is "Down is Death."
Midwest sounds like great cruising grounds.

Quote:

Why take a chance when synthetic materials don't carry the risk? Why do we use harnesses and life jackets? If you go over the side your down will be wet under your foulies.
You have clearly not read my earlier post. I said: Goretex, Polar(tec) fleece and HH Lifa.

Tell me which of these is NOT synthetic.

I have also clearly said I wear the vest under a G-tex parka.

I understand your concerns about 'what if' I get overboard in my down vest. Well, I say, you made a strong point that I will definitely heed if I ever sail into the midwest ;-)

But I will tell you that we have a saying down here in the tropics and that is "Overboard is Death."

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:43   #40

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
But I will tell you that we have a saying down here in the tropics and that is "Overboard is Death."
barnie
Slow death if you are good at treading water...
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 08:04   #41

just curious what people think of the west marine products like the Third Reef Jacket at $100 vs the Gill product line that starts at $300?
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 08:17   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
I bet the Gore sailing boots are great too.
Yes, they are. Just bought a pair of Musto HPX Goretex sea boots, and spent a long chilly weekend sailing in them. Amazing! So warm and dry and comfy.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 08:43   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post
just curious what people think of the west marine products like the Third Reef Jacket at $100 vs the Gill product line that starts at $300?
Both are good. The price reflects the difference in quality, comfort, longevity and detail. Because I'm apt to be in them for weeks at a time I buy the best I can afford - like the Gill.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 09:16   #44

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post
Hi Lawdawg,

I've been lucky with in Volvo racing so have had a steady flow of 'part used / prototype' wet weather gear over the years.

It's all been more than good, but the last set of Gill trousers and jacket (think I got them in 2005) have been simply remarkable. It is certainly the strongest and dryest set of sailing gear ever experienced in 30 years offshore.......and with big kevlar pads on bum, knees etc, doubt I'll need to ever replace them in the next decade.

Afraid I've not seen an exact duplicate for sale by Gill since, but pretty sure much of the good design points have been transalated into their retail kit.

Meaning I suspect its far superior to the cheaper stuff.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 30-11-2010, 10:58   #45

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
When I was in college many, many years ago, I worked in a boatyard owned by a couple of Ted Turner's racing buddies. Everybody who came through there had the latest in high-dollar sailing gear. So I saved my pennies and bought the highest-end foul weather gear. To be cool.

Now I'm old and don't give a damn what anybody else thinks. I saw some strong, PVC, cloth-backed fowl weather gear at the local big box store for $19.99 a suit last year. Bought a couple of suits to keep on the boat for guests. Have often worn it rather than my own (a BIT more expensive, but breathable) stuff. The $19.99 stuff has been fine for every occasion in which I've used it.

Really now, unless you're sailing around the world in the Southern Ocean, you can spend WAY too much on this stuff IMHO.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear