Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2022, 07:31   #1

Foulie Updating

I need to update my weather gear">foul weather gear as my HH doesn't fit any longer (actually too big, so hold the snickers ). My sailing is coastal and near shore, South Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean, although I expect to do some sailing in the summer in New England next year.

What do people like? Ideally something that can be layered, as I hate to overheat and turn into a walking swamp. Also needs to play well with inflatable PFDs.

Thanks!
wheelerwbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 19:39   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Foulie Updating

HH makes great fouls for all types of sailing. I personally use it exclusively.
I have the Aegir series but they can be overkill if you only use it for the occasional bad weather.
I tend to be out at sea for many days and need the superior performance stuff.
Musto makes great stuff
Gill also
Do go for good deck boots.
My PFD is the Spinlock Vito
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 15:49   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

We spent the summer in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. In hindsight I see that not once did I pull out my heavy foul weather gear. I did not need to be on deck in any heavy rain or green water but was frequently in light rain and heavy fog. I was much more comfortable in a lightweight HH jacket and water resistant pants layered with a thin Gill hydrophilic down jacket.

I don't think I'd forgo having my heavy foul weather gear aboard but I enjoy the comfort of a lighter ensemble for most conditions. Tall deck boots are very nice in either case.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 16:13   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I like my GIL because it’s held up better than HH or any west marine stuff. The latter got tossed.
Old 26-09-2022, 16:25   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I like my GIL because it’s held up better than HH or any west marine stuff. The latter got tossed.
I can't speak to the relative quality of Gil vs HH as I've only owned a Gil garment for less than a year. However, HH has excellent customer service. Twice over the years I've had a problem with a HH garment. In both cases I just took it into their store when passing through Newport or Annapolis and walked out 100% satisfied. In one case they just handed me a new one off the rack, In the other case, where the garment was no longer in their current line, they credited me 100% of the list price (not the sale price I paid) against the cost of a new garment. I ended up paying $10 and got a slight upgrade. In both cases they didn't need a sales receipt or anything. Gil may be as good in this regard. After the service I've received I'm a believer in buying from the premium brands and only buy things I would consider semi-disposable or consumable under a West Marine brand.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 16:47   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I have HenriLoyd Ocean gear which I bought 20 years ago for Sydney-Hobart. My wife has Musto gear, same quality level (Ocean) about the same age. We both have (had) West Marine tall cruising boots, the yellow ones.

The stuff was great when we got it and it took us through many years of sailing and storms. It was a bit warm for Mexico but better warm than cold.

Now however the jackets of both sets are ruined. A rubber coating on the inside of the heavy cloth has rotted and fallen off, rendering them no longer waterproof. I think the heat in our hanging locker here in Mexico was too much for this gear.

The boots have also rotted and had to be tossed.

We've kept the jackets and intend to apply scotch guard type of water proofing to the inside of the jackets. Who knows if that will work.
Old 27-09-2022, 15:23   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Look to supplies for fishermen: I bought some sea boots in Hobart 20 years ago and they have held up, unlike Sperry topsiders.

My overalls are Gill, and they are about 8 yrs. old now, still waterproof, and well made.

I have two jackets, one heavy/warm Musto and one a 3/4 length, also Musto. I like the 3/4 length for riding in the dinghy in the evening, when moisture condenses on the tubes. I've had a number of foulie jackets over the years, and all of them have lost their waterproofness in a few years. The laminated ones do as wingless wrote: the cloth separates from the waterproof laminate, and it comes off and sheds little particles all over the place, which then have to be cleaned up.

My experience has been that most foulie jackets don't last in good nick over 5 yrs., so wingless's experience with the Henri-LLoyd's is encouraging for longevity. The downwide for H-L is their expense, although they can sometimes be found in thrift shops, having some wear left in them.

So, for a new one, I'd go try some on, and see how they feel. Mostly, they are much of a muchness, these days. The heavy ones require less underneath because they're already warm. A simple nylon windbreaker or windcheater has the advantage of being easily washable, and will keep you warmer than without, but of course isn't waterproof. I think one should have both aboard.

Ann

Ann