Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 10:28   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
FYI Signal Flare Service Life

Does anyone know what makes them go bad? Is it Oxygen? Would vacuum packing extend life? How long?
Putting in one of those O2 absorbing packets when vacuuming packing?
I know very often life limits are how long a manufacturer is either required or is comfortable with guaranteeing a product, where it could last many years longer.
I believe medicines, at least anti-biotics if kept frozen are that way. Just as an example.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:23   #17

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: FYI Signal Flare Service Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Does anyone know what makes them go bad? Is it Oxygen? Would vacuum packing extend life? How long?
Putting in one of those O2 absorbing packets when vacuuming packing?
I know very often life limits are how long a manufacturer is either required or is comfortable with guaranteeing a product, where it could last many years longer.
I believe medicines, at least anti-biotics if kept frozen are that way. Just as an example.

I'd say if they were vacuum sealed, and also an O2 absorber added - you can't do any better than that. Cheap security, and better than nothing I'd believe. I save mine, but haven't taken those steps yet. Keeping them dry seems paramount.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:34   #18

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

A pyrotechnic marine signal flare is typically made from calcium phosphide and calcium carbide.

Neither compound has O2, so an O2 absorber should have little detriment to the flare, according to my non-chemist knowledge. A desiccant may be useful to package within the sealed packaging.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 07:12   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

A constituent in the Orion signal flares is sodium perchlorate which is highly soluble in water. Humidity then, might be a contributing factor to their deterioration hence a vacuum pack with a desiccant might improve their longevity.

Beyond the foregoing, the cruising fleet at our yacht club has been running a "Suddenly Alone" seminar series for the wives (generally) of the fleet's members. As part of the program, last Wednesday PM, the meeting focused on signal flares and their handling and employment. The session included a one hour "training window", approved and announced by the USCG via VHF, during which members and their husbands/wives were able to test fire various aerial and hand-held flares. I used that session to give my (much) better half an opportunity to test fire both our 12 Ga and 25mm flare launchers. SHe had no difficulty with the 12 Ga but the recoil from the 25mm launcher hurt her wrist such that she needed to use both hands on the launcher for second and subsequent launches/shots.

I also used the session to discharge and so, legally, dispose of a ton of old flares, some dating back to 1999 that we keep in a water-proof, sealed, ammo box. Virtually all of the flares "fired" or were launched. Several of the older/-est flares, however, did not ignite and so fizzled into the water. Of those that did ignite, the oldest flares did not reach altitude, nor burn for very long. All of the flares dated after 2002 launched and operated properly although the "burn time" for the older flares was less than that of the newer flares. Flares dated from 2009 or later, launched and performed exactly like "new" flares, i.e., those that were 3 years or less old. Note that the 25mm flares went much higher and burned much longer than the 12 Ga and so would be likely to be seen much more readily than the latter.

In addition to the pistol style launchers, we also had a number of old "Skt Blazer" self contained launcher/flares that we'd had in pouches on our inflatable life vests (still in their sealed packaging). These were 5 or more years old and none, zero, nada of these flares launched or fired! Here is where the wide angle Laser Flares would make a difference--to a MOB, beamed back toward the boat!

For more, see (click on) Suddenly Alone seminars

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:50   #20

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
FYI, the Weems & Plath Sirius electronic flare is on-sale (first time I've seen) for $20 off at West Marine from November 14 through 24. I will purchase mine in that date range.
The Weems & Plath Sirius electronic flare is now again on sale, for an even greater discount at West Marine. This time it is $30 off, plus a $10 mail in rebate, for $40 off, total.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:38   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Bump

I went to WM marine to get flares. They were 18 months old, out of 36 months, and the store manager didn't understand the words "discount." To me, they were only 1/2 value. Mostly, I only get two season out of flares because they are seldom "fresh" when bought.

I'm thinking of just getting the Orion e-flare. Yes, visibility is less, but realistically, with cell phones and VHF, the odds of a primarily day sailor like me using a flare are between zero and none. On the other hand, the odds of me being stopped by DNR are about once every 3-4 years, most often when they are checking fishing permits and catch.

So not to put to fine a point on it, I really don't care if it works as well. I don't wear PDFs most days either. And If I want, I can carry old flares. I've lit them in the past, for practice, and never had a failure, up to 12 years.
Old 15-03-2020, 11:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
In short: Make sure of the expiration dates of signal flares when buying replacements. Do not accept flares that have less than at least 3 years of "legal" life span remaining. They are expensive and one should try to get the longest serviceable life span possible given their cost.

Discussion: As we routinely travel off-shore as well as in-shore, our safety equipment includes a fairly hefty visual distress signals kit in several air-tight containers. (One for the "mother ship", one for the dinghy and a third in our "ditch bag" tethered to our life-raft.)

As a matter of routine, I check/inspect all of our safety gear annually, in June, to ensure that everything is up to date to ensure the greatest likelihood that things will function properly when needed (and, but less so, to ensure we're up-to-snuff in the unlikely event we're subjected to a US Coast Guard Safety Inspection).

In the USA, signal flares intended for marine use have expiration dates 42 months after their date of manufacture; and, after which the USCG considers they do not meet legal requirements (although they almost invariably work long after their expiration dates!). The foregoing means, of course, that one must replace one's signals at least every three years.

Our signals are now "out of date" so on my way home from the boat yesterday, I stopped by my local West Marine outlet to pick up replacements. Much to my surprise, the packages of 25mm aerial flares on the shelf had expiration dates of August 2020! In other words, only 14 months of "legal" service life remaining. Considering that a 4-Pack of these flares is priced at $85.00 USD (or $21.25/flare)--and we need two packs--that would be a substantial investment for only 14 months, No?

The Store Manager agreed and has ordered replacements for us but assured me that if they arrive with less than 36 months of service life remaining we can refuse them (tho' finding more up-to-date replacements may prove problematic given our locale).

N'any case, FWIW...

Be aware that non SOLAS pyrotechnics , such as pistol fired 25mm meteor shells , are illegal in most of the world

With flares or other dated safety equipment it’s best to purchase from marine safety business . They are careful not to hold old stock
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service