Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 09:34   #151

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Gas Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Rigid hoses to gimballing stoves are also a bad idea
Also it's good to add a loop in the hose, as well as secure the hose to the stove and where it enters the gimping compartment so it doesn't flex at the fittings. A "rubber gas hose" can bend all it wants, but to flex at a fitting is eventually going to fail.
Old 24-04-2014, 10:49   #152

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

St Paul Mercantile sells the "Butterfly" brand all brass Primus type stove for about $60. Runs on kerosene or diesel, as well as gasoline. I prefer the former, of course. No propane for me, thanks. Well, I do have a Magma Kettle, but it is ALL the way aft on the pushpit rail. Propane cylinders stay outside, too, even new ones.
Old 25-04-2014, 03:58   #153

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Gas Explosion

Well back in 1976 boat mfgers knew how to cook safely. My Cal's presumed original stove was a gimballed Kenyon electric. Interesting concept fer sure.

I don't really know the history. The boat is old. Maybe the electric stove was added later. The PO had cobbled a camp stove under the stove pan. To turn on, one had to tilt the burners high enough to reach the gas knob, or drop to yer knees, reach under the sink, over and around to access the knob.

The PO was proud of his cleverness but I can't really imagine a less handy or more dangerous setup. Comparatively, the Origo is a wonder of modern convenience. The thing is very well built yet so poorly designed for mounting it's almost laughable. I wish it were funny.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 09:48   #154

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Many galleys have a simple solenoid on/off swich for the propane solenoid. Easy to forget to turn it off. So, this season I replaced mine with a rotary timer switch. You can buy these with various maximum timer durations. I chose one hour since it is rare we run the stove that long (it can be set for shorter durations). Now I know for sure that we wont forget to turn off the solenoid.

Timer switch I used below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 10:29   #155
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Belize-
I've used those rotary spring switches for bathroom vent fans, another "set and forget" that they are perfect for.
Except, they sometimes fail. The spring goes bad and the switch stays "on" forever when that happens. Better than nothing--but when it fails your solenoid will simply stay open and your gas will not be shut off.
I know, it is just a spring, and I trust the digital switches even less. But somehow, the folks who make them (Ace Hardware is about the only place that carries similar switches) have managed to screw that up too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 13:44   #156

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The switch emits a low but audible clicking when its on and you can also see the position...so I will keep a an eye/ear on it for failure. Small and inexpensive so I could stock a spare.

Given that my GF used to forget to turn off the solenoid switch fairly often its still likely more reliable.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 17:11   #157

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

With mine the switch is lighted and in a dimly lit area, which makes it EZ to see.

BTW the switches are not supposed to be where one has to reach over the stove, but where you can get to it if there's a fire.