Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2013, 18:17   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Ghost ship possibly found

Goodness, we are all getting a little testy, aren't we?
Remember to pray for the crew, whatever their fate. The sea is a cruel mistress and those that love her will continue to sail on her regardless of the risk.
I only hope the families of those aboard don't read some of these comments.
When I worked commercially, my mother prayed every night for me and lit enough candles to light NYC! (so she said!) Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 18:47   #32
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Remember to pray for the crew, whatever their fate. The sea is a cruel mistress and those that love her will continue to sail on her regardless of the risk.
I only hope the families of those aboard don't read some of these comments.
When I worked commercially, my mother prayed every night for me and lit enough candles to light NYC! (so she said!) Phil

Much as I too would like to see her come back from the dead, biggest turn off for me about the Nina threads has not been the requests for money-it's the religion. You can try to pray 'em back all you like, but keep it to yourself.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:40   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Yup...unfortunately when the negativity get rolling it picks up momentum. I'll never figure out why people just can't keep negativity out of threads like this where family and friends are looking for hope.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:47   #34

There is no point to this thread except to explain how expensive these search's are. Giving false hope to the relatives is plain cruel. Nina disappeared approximately 120 days ago in one of the worst oceans in the world in winter.
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:57   #35

Bazzer...This is just your own negative opinion...that's it. People want hope. people like hope. Nothing cruel about it until you rain on their party. We've heard your opinions...we know your opinions...if there is "no point to this thread" then why throw-up on it constantly?
You know...you're never going to get the "Seafarer of the year" award talking like this...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-10-2013, 21:02   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Truthfully I would bet I've rowed a boat more miles than you have sailed, so your advice is not heeded
Ah ha...bazzer Moitessier. ...I crack me up
Old 19-10-2013, 22:36   #37

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yup...unfortunately when the negativity get rolling it picks up momentum. I'll never figure out why people just can't keep negativity out of threads like this where family and friends are looking for hope.
Basically, some people have an innately positive disposition, while others have a negative disposition. This has been commented on through out history. in Shakespeare's play "Much Ado About Nothing" prince Don John has a "dark soul" and for no apparent reason tries to raise havoc. Anyway, here is a recent reference on the study of human dispositional attitudes:

Why do haters have to hate? Newly identified personality trait holds clues.

I hope that this proves useful in expanding your understanding of why some people are negative while others are positive.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 06:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Basically, some people have an innately positive disposition, while others have a negative disposition. This has been commented on through out history. in Shakespeare's play "Much Ado About Nothing" prince Don John has a "dark soul" and for no apparent reason tries to raise havoc. Anyway, here is a recent reference on the study of human dispositional attitudes:

Why do haters have to hate? Newly identified personality trait holds clues.

I hope that this proves useful in expanding your understanding of why some people are negative while others are positive.

It does and thank you for that. Now can you tell me why people cannot just keep their negativity to themselves...
Anyways, It is interesting that they found this image. Hopefully (oops, there's that word again) more light will be shed on the topic.
Old 20-10-2013, 07:16   #39

Negativity is much more powerful than anything positive...which is why it is used so often in media reports having said that negative people are a royal pain to be around.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 15:06   #40
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes ,I wager I've have rowed a boast more miles than you have sailed.

Freudian Slip?! Too precious to let slide...

Old 20-10-2013, 16:10   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yes,I wager I've have rowed a boast more miles than you have sailed. In my case I have documented proof of more than 20,000. Miles and that's without sailing miles.
That is an impressive total of rowing miles. Could you perhaps explain just how you came to do this unusual feat? And while in the explaining mode, just how does your rowing prowess bear upon the issue of the missing Nina?

Personally I too fear that she is gone, but see no reason to denigrate those who hold out hope. I would love to be proven wrong.

Jim
Old 20-10-2013, 16:17   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Freudian Slip?! Too precious to let slide...
Now that was funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That is an impressive total of rowing miles. Could you perhaps explain just how you came to do this unusual feat? And while in the explaining mode, just how does your rowing prowess bear upon the issue of the missing Nina?

Personally I too fear that she is gone, but see no reason to denigrate those who hold out hope. I would love to be proven wrong.

Jim
No Jim...He was implying that I don't sail at all. I don't want to dispute that claim, I have nothing to prove. I am guilty of drawing the worst out in the individual by challenging his view towards the issue at hand. When that happens, it immediately takes away from the thread to he said...she said. Uhum...me being the he.
Old 20-10-2013, 16:30   #43

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

didn't mean to put the cat in with the pigeons... just thinking of close friends and family members who might follow this thread. Praying won't bring them back but it provides an outlet for grief. I've been in their (the family's) position and while difficult to give them hope, I feel the least we can all do is keep them in our thoughts at this point. I'll be sure not to include minaret in my prayers. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 16:36   #44
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
didn't mean to put the cat in with the pigeons... just thinking of close friends and family members who might follow this thread. Praying won't bring them back but it provides an outlet for grief. I've been in their (the family's) position and while difficult to give them hope, I feel the least we can all do is keep them in our thoughts at this point. I'll be sure not to include minaret in my prayers. Phil

Thank you. You'll note I've never bothered to mention this on any of the previous threads with family present, you are right, they should be able to deal with their grief however possible, even here where the rules explicitly state no politics or religion. The mods certainly never seemed to have anything to say about it, and I approve of that attitude on their part. There should be some exceptions to every rule. But it becomes distasteful for some at a certain point.

Old 20-10-2013, 18:16   #45

Boat: Fantasia 35

Hope allows reality to slowly sink in overcoming fear and grief.

In Greek mythology Zeus gave Pandora (the first human woman created by the Gods) a box warning her not to open it. Disobediently Pandora opened the box releasing evil and woe upon the world. All that remained at the bottom of Pandora's box was hope.

Or put another way, when the evil in the world fills your mind with woe, know that there is room in your heart for hope.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote