Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 14:46   #76

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Ghost ship possibly found

I may be overly naive, but I reckon that ANY yottie would note, investigate and report spotting a "low floating" hull at sea, and have a skiz at a wreck on the beach. I know that I would.

But yeah, six months is pushing the survival envelope out to the unbelievable for me. There will always be the possibility of spotting debris, though.

The families involved are deserving of sympathy, but pouring more money into searching (especially by firms that seem to charge VERY dearly for their services) is of doubtful use.

A sad story indeed, but one that seems to be over for all practical purposes.

Jim

PS Perhaps they should add some data from Roswell, New Mexico into their "Fact, not Fiction" files...
Old 14-01-2014, 14:50   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I always disbelieve anybody in an argument or debate who says "fact not fiction" .
This nearly always means that the "facts" are what they want them to be, and the "fiction" does not conform to their side of the argument. That of course is neither fact nor fiction, but is as much of either as you want it to be.

Coops.
Old 01-02-2014, 23:24   #78

Boat: 1987 Catalina 36

Ah my first post...I have been following the Nina story from the beginning via most forms of media & read all 61 pages of the original thread here on this forum before I joined. First I have to say how impressed I was with the way this community of sailors worked together with family & friends of Nina's crew during the early months of the search. I'm thankful they keep the thread online as it has a lot of valuable info & photos. At present, the newest focus is of course this probe they are opening up to review possible mistakes made in the early days of the search. I think we all knew this would happen. I stumbled on this blog entry made in July 2013 from one of Nina crew member Kyle's family. In it they discuss details of the early search from a family member's point of view & include a link to a email written to RCCNZ by Evi's partner, Curly. The main point of interest is towards the end of the email where Curly mentions family members were told Nina had been found, only to be informed days later that it was a mistake. Certainly this should be addressed during the probe & I am interested in how this mistake was made. Obviously this detail isn't relevant to solving the mystery of Nina, but I remain curious about why NZ SAR believed Nina had been found at one point. Any insight into this will satisfy my curiosity & is much appreciated, otherwise I will wait until the results of this probe are revealed to the general public, how ever long that may take. Here is the link to the blog entry by Kyle's family... http://megmjackson.wordpress.com/category/nina-updates/
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11194430
SundownSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:43   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SundownSailor.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:54   #80

Apologies, just realized I posted a link to something else I was reading at the time. Here is the blog link. If you scroll down a bit you will see the part about Evi's partner's email highlighted in blue... Nina Updates | Universe to kbj
Old 02-02-2014, 11:56   #81

Thank you for the welcoming words, good to be here.