Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 12:10   #1

Boat: Erickson 32'
Givens raft servicing

We purchased a Givens Raft which has now in need of servicing. Anyone know of who has taken over servicing,
since their bankruptcy, in the Pacific Northwest?
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 12:38   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Givens raft servicing

Can only speak for the Northeast, but it was suggested to me to just buy a new raft. Here there are limited people who will get involved, and what they want to service it was over the top. Too bad, I met Jim Givens, and he designed probably the best raft ever, but the events that lead to the company's demise left a lot of bad feelings ans financially hurt people.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 11:08   #3

Boat: Erickson 32'

Thanks for the feedback. We were at the tail end of the troubles. After many months of complaining we did receive a raft, but it was not what we ordered and it was close to requiring a re-service when we got it. I guess we can't complain, it did get us through our first blue water cruise last year. Too bad about the company. The product itself looked good.
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

FYI, I bought one of the last six man deluxe offshore models that Givens offered. The new owners ran the company in to the ground and filed for bankruptcy shortly after my raft was delivered.

I had the raft inspected and the expired survival equipment and supplies were replaced, the gas canister was replaced and the firing mechanism as well.

I had the raft totally renovated and recertified. The firm is in The Netherlands and they service all liferafts for recreational and commercial ships.
http://www.jacobslifesaving.com/html...&language_id=2

Point being...any good service company can work on any liferaft.

I paid less than 400 euros and they even shrinkwrapped the raft for me.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 18:37   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post

I paid less than 400 euros and they even shrinkwrapped the raft for me.
Positive proof how much of a racket it is here in the US. to get a raft serviced. They immediately try to finagle you into a new raft. I was quoted almost $1400 for a re-certification.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:33   #6

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

any knows according the original specification ,which is the time between certifications for a Givens liferaft .Any manual ? Thanks
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 01:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I bought my Givens in 2009, I had it serviced in The Netherlands for €350 and that included replacing a lot of safety equipment that had the aluminum parts completely corroded after the Givens had fallen in the sea, but didn't inflate. I didn't open it for five years and all the flashlight and aluminum parts were white dust...

Jacobs Llifesaving w.jacobslifesaving.com They service all brands and even changed the arming system and gas bottle on my raft. They removed half of the water and I am not crossing the Pacific anytime soon and am just cruising around Europe for the forseeable future.

Jacobs shrinkwrapped my raft and gave me three years between inspections, but as my raft is only on the boat for six weeks ever summer and mostly lives in a warm dry environment, I will wait two more years before I ask Jacobs to open it again.

Of course, when I first dropped it off, they tried to sell me another brand, but when they inflated the Givens and saw the high quality of the build, they stopped talking about a new raft.

I have a manual somewhere and if you google my name and send me a PM from my website, I will send you a scan of the manual. I will have to look for it, but I know it is NOT on the raft package.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 07:49   #8

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Hi george . Mail sent .Thanks
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 07:56   #9

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Of course, when I first dropped it off, they tried to sell me another brand, but when they inflated the Givens and saw the high quality of the build, they stopped talking about a new raft.
Ditto in my case as well. I believe mine is a year 2000, and passed my last inspection just fine (consumables & CO2 release mechanism replaced). I think the well-sealed fiberglass container helps. It's overdue for another service, and given the likely cost (in the U.S.) I'm not sure it's worth it.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote