Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2021, 17:19   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Good Foul Weather Gear for Very Petite Woman?

I'm with those that think foulies are overrated....seems like it's become a "fashion statement" of late, especially for women....lots of colors, pockets, hoodies, zippers, breathable material, other gizmo's, etc, etc, with prices to match....some gear costing many 100's of dollars.

It's one thing if you have to wear foulies 24/7 while working a crab boat in Alaska, but quite another, if you just need some protection once in a while.

My wife is also a tiny women, she wears some waterproof jacket and pants she sourced from Walmart. Works great, fits great.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 06:41   #32

Boat: Beneteau 393

Try Bass Pro. My wife is petite too. The women’s XS fits her…just a little long in the legs.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 07:56   #33

Boat: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

I am now 4'9" and about 98 lbs. I love my Helly Hansen jacket and Aegir bibs. They're stuff is good quality and beautifully styled. I have found great stuff on Poshmark and e Bay. I love my foulies so much I now have two other jackets and a HH raincoat. Good luck shopping!
catwhispurrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 08:15   #34

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Domino View Post
Possibly a quality plastic shopping bag
Yep, used a black plastic trash bag many times - works well for keeping dry. Foulie gear has never been considered to be a fashion item, they're usually very bulky so they can quickly fit over your other clothes. With the OP being in the southeast, I'd say normal foulies would be too hot for most applications - maybe just a good poncho she can throw on quickly when the squalls come might work just as well.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 10:54   #35

Hi - I am similar to your lady’s size. I’m in the UK and I have found the brand Gill to have good weather gear">foul weather gear in kids sizes.

This is the jacket I have:
https://andark.co.uk/product/gill-ju...jacket-in12jj/
Gill also make good hi waist trousers with braces in kids size Large which should work. https://andark.co.uk/product/gill-ju...ousers-in12jt/
I don’t have these. Instead I have some great Henri Lloyd TP offshore trousers in ladies XS, but sadly they no longer make them.

Hope you manage to find her some good gear!

Stacey
Coastgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 13:08   #36

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Again, other than as a user and reasonable intelligent person I know little to nothing about tailoring, alterations, or the construction of foul weather gear. So I don't know what would go into altering foul weather gear and whether alterations would negatively impact the waterproofing.

Perhaps someone who has altered foul weather gear or who knows more about the subject could provide insight?
People doing MYOG stuff for the backpacking crowd will probably be more familiar with the topic; it looks like this place is no longer operating but these guys might be able to offer some pointers. (Or, do a search on BPL; people sewing their own tents also care about waterproofness.) W.L. Gore, for example, requires manufacturers using GoreTex to tape all seams, and the same should apply for alterations.

Apart from that, the only other bits that occurred to me were to try HH or backcountry kit, but it sounds like you've already looked there.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 20:31   #37

Have a look at Zhik - https://www.zhik.com/womens.html

Kika from Sailing Uma is petite and their gear fits her
matt_zzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, weather