Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 10:06   #16

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: Hatches at Night, Open or Closed

We've spent the past 7 seasons cruising the NE Caribb. We are almost never in a marina....usually either on a mooring or at anchor. We always close the screens I made and mounted on the inside of each O/H hatch, but leave the hatches open....until the rains start and we get a wet bed!!! We've never had an issue with anyone coming onboard or trying to break in-that we know of. We've seen several cruisers with "Stealy Bars" over the hatches, but have never felt the need. Before the Caribb, we spent 4 years in the Medd, and 11+ years in Asia...again, never once had an issue. And while the screens do keep out most of the bugs and no-see-ums, they do seem to reduce some of the night-time breeze coming down! (Our hatches all open forward).
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 10:08   #17

Boat: Leopard 45

In the Caribbean you are not going to sleep at night without open hatches or AC. There is almost always a 10 to 20 knot breeze coming from the east and it keeps us cool at night. We also have screens over the hatches which might also prevent unwanted entry. When we leave the boat to go ashore we always lock up tight. Security depends a good deal on where you are anchored. I prefer out of the way secluded bays which may be more open to unwanted guests, but the tourist is so important to most of these locations that policing the marinas and anchorages is a priority and any minor theft is delt with severly so we usually feel quite safe.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 10:17   #18

Hatches in berths and staterooms double as emergency exits. The problem with restricting ingress is potentially restricting egress as well.

This becomes the challenge. Ideally, you'd want security bars that can be opened easily from the inside in the event of fire or flood, but not able to be opened from the outside.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 10:17   #19

As someone who lived in a country that did not permit ownership of self defense weaponry, keep a few big cans of Wasp/Hornet spray around your boat. In case you happen to come across an intruder who isn’t deterred by your presence, a shot to the face with the above will turn the tide of the fight.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 10:27   #20

Boat: Norseman 400

Open hatches with stainless steel security grates. The grates rest on lag-bolted supports and are padlocked from the inside. For emergency exit, the padlock keys for each hatch are close by, but out of reach from the outside. We leave the hatches open even when leaving the boat. Not a single intrusion/theft in 7 years. (Knock on wood.)

Industrial Velcro attached screens also keep the bugs out and the corners can be pulled back to adjust the hatches.

We heard a story a few months ago about a huge snake crawling into the open forward hatch of a sailboat at night and killing a cat that was next to the sleeping owner, who woke up suddenly and witnessed it. Attached is a pic of the snake making its escape out the companionway. The boat was docked at a marina. Wondering if my screens would help keep this monster out.... yikes! Doubt it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5015.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	238397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4853.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	238398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5086.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	238399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake in sailboat.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	238400  

Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 10:37   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Ours are always closed at night or away from the boat. We hate doing the “rain dance” every time it rains AND it rains a lot in the Caribbean. We open only the hatch over our bed at night. We seldom lock. Unauthorized entry, Boarding is rare -or you are anchored in the wrong places.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 11:44   #22

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

For the most part my hatches are closed and locked at night. Especially in the tropics during the storm season it is just too much a PITA to be getting up in the middle of the night to close them, and a lot of rain can get in before the job gets done. Having been boarded late at night at anchor, and having them try the hatch, I would never want to confront a thief below decks while I was trying to wake up. But my classic boat has all opening portlights, and large cowls feeding two dorades, so ventilation at anchor is reasonably good even in rainy conditions. I also have a fan over the berths, which is great for cooling off before sleep (and gets turned off later as things cool down).

As for leaving the boat open when not aboard: are you guys nuts??? Sneak-aboards and swim-aboards are not at all unusual throughout cruising areas. And of course the possibility of a shower has to be considered. Of course I won't bother locking her if I am nearby, but away I always do. I have seen too many boats burgled to think that it wouldn't happen to me.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 12:29   #23

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We have sailed and cruised for extended periods in western Canada, the US, Mexico, Indonesia and French Polynesia. We never locked the hatches at night and did not have bars. I have seen plans for making bars and my response was I don't think that I want to sail there.

In Indonesia, Mexico some of the time and French Polynesia it is too hot to contemplate closing the hatches at night. And bars would make an emergency escape even more fraught than it would already be.
Old 14-05-2021, 14:11   #24

Boat: Leopard 40

Leave everything open and get a dog. When we were in the Caribbean we never had a problem. If anyone got too close to the boat she’d bark.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:27   #25
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i close them to keep the extreme humidity out of the boat.
Old 14-05-2021, 14:56   #26

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

We keep hatches open all over the Caribbean and have an awning/tarp over the forward hatch to allow it to stay open during rain.

Regarding safety bars, they can be made to open from the inside without a key so you can always get out. They also can serve as a ladder when open and also provide a place to hang wet laundry right in the wind... That said, we did not have safety bars.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 15:37   #27

pirate Re: Hatches at Night, Open or Closed

If you are hot, open the hatches. Keep your Remington Mariner next to you while you are sleeping.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 17:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
If you are hot, open the hatches. Keep your Remington Mariner next to you while you are sleeping.
This is the way.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 17:31   #29

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Very problematic in most tropical areas. Not much breeze in those jail cells.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 17:58   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Put some decals from your battalion, fleet, escadron etc up... use an NRA sticker when you didn’t serve... pretty effective

You have to consider burglary everywhere... it becomes more serious with robbery. Security bars are a smart thing to have, just like fire extinguishers, alarm siren, lights etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch