Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22   #31

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Have You Ever Been a Person Overboard ?

I've had a number of tough encounters. The dumbest was being caught in hurricane Ivan some years ago. I sail the Great Lakes and when the weather goes down, the Mayday calls are numerous. One call I answered was off Turnbull Is. in Ontarios North Channel. Nast blowing (20 kts) rainy, cold day in July. He described his location and to my horror he was grounded in an area the charts clearly show full of rocks He said the chart showed 8 feet of water. It took an hour of creeping around him to finally find him behind the trees and rocks. His voice told me that he was no longer making rational decisions. Something simple like a kedge was far beyond his abilities at the time. When we finally got close enough he hadn't prepared his dinghy or line. We circled in the tiny bay for another 1/2 hour after he fell in the water and tangled his tow line in the outboard prop. Upon reaching us he says...It hasn't been a good day. Ten minutes later, he was off the rocks and roared away. Not even a thanks from him despite the risks we undertook to get him out!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:48   #32

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago View Post
But it's really an eye opener in that situation, pulling him up just wasn't happening, in an almost best case scenario (no one unconscious, no one hypothermic from being in the water yet, it's not my 100 pound wife trying to do the lifting and we were on the dock, lower than the topside on most boats, and stable).

I went home and started working on permanently mounting a ladder on my transom.
I was swimming off of my dock one day, and when finished the swim ladder broke leavin gme in the water with a broken swim ladder. I can easily lift myself with my hands, but was completely unable to lift myself on the dock. When I tried my feet and body went under the dock with no leverage.

I ended up simming to the bulkhead and pressing the barnacles, and oysters with my bare feet to hold myself still, so I could pull myself up ...ouch!

I've since tied a rope hanging over the water... and repaired the ladder.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:49   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

This has been an interesting thread for me. I am somewhat of a klutz and have fallen in the water multiple times both solo and with others around. My first time was the first time I tried sailing! I took a racing dingy out on a cold windy reservoir in April. Thee wind caught it, I hopped on, and I promply pitchpolled. That was the first time there have been others. I always seem to rescue myself however. no 1 else is usually around.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:06   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Not quite a MOB - but my story has Sharks in it. blood in the water and exotic women

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...html#post59432
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:01   #35

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Your comments on trying to get a man out of the water brought back memories from years ago, Wannago, that I would just as soon forget.
After a few hours in the pub in Powell River, BC we had struck up a conversation with a native guy from the indian village just north of the town. He asked us for a lift down to Stillwater, a ferry terminal about 70nm south. It was on the way so we said, "...sure".
We all got down to the seine boat at the gov't dock and I climbed up on top of the wheelhouse, the normal steering station on seiners in those days. The two deck hands were up there keeping me company as we headed back down to Egmont where the deckhands were from.
About 2:00am I caught a figure out of the corner of my eye climbing up the rat lines to get to the top of the wheelhouse. It was the native guy, a really large guy who had been sleeping below. I saw him slip and go headfirst down on top of the piperail that went around the bow as he went over the side. Immediately put engine in to neutral and got the spot light on him face down in the water. We tried to pull him back aboard but couldn't get him up over the gunwales so put the skiff down and the deckhands got a line around him and got him back aboard using the powerblock but he had died by the time we got him aboard.
Called the RCMP who met us in Stillwater with the coroner and spent the day giving statements to the authorities.
Accidents happen but alcohol raises the probability that the outcome will be bad. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 13:01   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft

As it happens, yesterday, my crew and myself wanted to train a MOB procedure... We had 18-22 knot winds with the ocacional gust... As my crew where newbies, i decided not to actualy do all the manoeuvering, but we did try and test the heave to tactic (mind you i am sailing o a 40ft Catamaran), and i can tell that i am always impressed with the imediate effect: the boat comes imediately to a complete standstill (almost) and just bobs up and down with the motion of the waves.. Had there been somebody in the water, it would have been easy to (i guess) to rescue the person... I realy think that heaving to is a great tactic to do including with MOB situation.
Anyway, let us try to stay save..
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 13:04   #37

Great thread. I specially like to read about the preparations other do. I am sorry on all the bad accidents that landed people in the water. Luckily I haven't had to experience anything similar. I really hope to keep it safe that way.
Boatinglifeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 19:47   #38

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

yeh, I fell out of a dink into Toronto harbour on the 12th of April 1980. The ice wasn't long gone and it was a near thing. I figure another minute or two and they'd be retrieving a popsicle. The MOB drill was a chinese fire drill, the owner panicked and if it hadn't been for the two others who got me out of the water I'd be dead. I think I managed to swim about 20-30 feet toward the ring and that was all she wrote. Everything stopped moving and I became a spectator to the show. They had to haul me out with the main halliard. With the down parka on I figure I weighed at least 250-275 lbs. But it was the parka that kept me alive. At least I think it was.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 19:55   #39
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

SabreKai - holy mackerel!!!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 10:50   #40

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

another one for me was being too lazy to get the boat pole out while reaching for a dockline. i had barefeet and and lost my footing, holding on the the aft port stanchion and lacerated my feet on the barnacles on the hull. it was controlled but i couldnt get up. luckily there were lots of people on the dock and one helped me up. it was funny but it took about 2 months to heal properly because it was right where the strap of a flip flop lays and i have a lovely reminder on my foot.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 10:54   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

havent fallen ob yet-- have been on water for over 55 yrs.. hoping i dont mess up and fall in.... would be killer bad.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 11:27   #42
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

zzeezee - be extra careful now!

I've never been in the situation, but have been around a few including my own father.

The most common issue is head injury while falling into the water - either hitting their head on the boat, boom, or dock. The boat/dock being VERY common when reaching or climbing to/from dock.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 13:04   #43

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I fell in in mid-June of 2010 (water about 16C, cold but plenty of leeway) AT DOCK. I was on the crew of a Catalina 47, with one foot on the outside of the lines and the other ready to jump onto the dock with the midship line, when the guy with the aft spring jumped off, pulling the line UNDER MY FOOT taut and launching me off the boat. I hit something on the way down, which damaged my dignity, but the real danger was getting involved with the prop or crushed by the hull, as I went straight down 10 feet and then, when the PFD went off, I surfaced "with intent".

So it could've been considerably worse, as I simply climbed out via dock finger ladder. Now I look below my feet knowing that a dock line can launch my otherwise sturdy frame rapidly.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 12:27   #44

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
another one for me was being too lazy to get the boat pole out while reaching for a dockline. i had barefeet and and lost my footing, holding on the the aft port stanchion and lacerated my feet on the barnacles on the hull. it was controlled but i couldnt get up. luckily there were lots of people on the dock and one helped me up. it was funny but it took about 2 months to heal properly because it was right where the strap of a flip flop lays and i have a lovely reminder on my foot.
Them barnacles will get you. I pushed off with one hand and lost most of the skin off of one palm. Just like a giant cheese grater. OW!
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 10:35   #45

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42

Just reported today ...
GMP co-founder Brad Griffiths missing - The Globe and Mail
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard, safety