Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 15:22   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: health insurance?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Easier for you, as if you would care at that point, but not so easy for your living shipmate(s) when they arrive at the next port. A charge of murder is not out of line, and you do know that in most places you need to be a medical professional to declare someone dead.

Best solution for the living is to put your probably dead body into a body bag: https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=...%20sea&f=false

Whether you can keep the body or not, document everything in the utmost detail, including photos and video. Try to cover all the bases, because you can bet the police will be very suspicious. Especially if it's a spouse and there is insurance involved.
True … it would be easier for me. I’d be dead .

Actually, I’m not trying to treat this too lightly. It would be horrible for me or my spouse. My point is, we don’t care about the body. It’s just meat at that point.

However, your challenge suggests that customs folks in the next country knows how many people are on board. Is this the case? If so, this is news to me. If I show up after a crossing and say I soloed (my partner being donated to the briny), you’re telling me they know how many people are supposed to be on board? I did not know this...
Old 13-09-2017, 16:36   #32

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

The USA doesnt require clearance out so if you are going to, e.g., the Bahamas, they know this and only find out how many people are on board when you get there. Most other countries (all of them that I have been to) require outward clearance and the authorities at the next port want to see that clearance before they let you in.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 16:54   #33

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

The USA doesnt require clearance out so if you are going to, e.g., the Bahamas, they know this and only find out how many people are on board when you get there. Most other countries (all of them that I have been to) require outward clearance and the authorities at the next port want to see that clearance before they let you in.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 16:58   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
True, but neither does Canada. Do other western developed countries require outward clearance documentation? Seems to me the solution is to point the bow towards one of those locations.

In any case, this is a silly concern. How many cruisers die on their cruise? Yes, it happens. So do lotteries and four-leaf clovers. Not something to seriously be concerned about for most of us.
Old 13-09-2017, 17:25   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
True … it would be easier for me. I’d be dead [emoji2].

Actually, I’m not trying to treat this too lightly. It would be horrible for me or my spouse. My point is, we don’t care about the body. It’s just meat at that point.

However, your challenge suggests that customs folks in the next country knows how many people are on board. Is this the case? If so, this is news to me. If I show up after a crossing and say I soloed (my partner being donated to the briny), you’re telling me they know how many people are supposed to be on board? I did not know this...
Yes in many cases they do because a typical clearance document from you last port has a crew list.

And, even if not, there are of course legal issues to deal w after a death. Good luck with probate if you have no proof of death.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, health insurance, insurance