Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 13:24   #1

Boat: Leopard 42
Health Insurance for Canadians

We are preparing to set off for three years in the Caribbean and are wrestling with the health insurance issue. We will not be eligible for a provincial card since we will not be "residents" in any specific province, but I will am fortunate enough to have federal non-resident insurance for physician services, drugs etc. The kicker is that it does not cover hospital costs so if I cut my hand and get stitched up at a clinic, I am coved but if I cut it off and need to go to a hospital, I am not. Without debating the logic of the Fed gov policy, what do other Canadians use for insurance when they are out of country longer than their provincial coverage will allow?
Frozen Chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 16:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Health Insurance for Canadians

Not a clue, but interested in any responses.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 17:29   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

A Canadian friend of mine had a scooter accident, in Moorea - French Polynesia. I drove her to a nearby "disponsaire/clinic", where they took x-ray of the affected hand. They didn't accept her medical plans or credit cards; only cash. The medical exam, x-ray and two fingers set in cast cost about $230 USD; the visit took about 2 hours time. (Knowing French, was a plus as this was a rural clinic; a few spoke in English.) Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 19:02   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Like the above post, you will find that there are places w good affordable healthcare. For example, I have Canandian and British friends who have chosen to have major procedures in Guatemala rather than going back to their home countries where they are covered.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 05:59   #5

Hi Frozen Chosen - I am currently researching same info for our departure mid-2014 from Ottawa to Caribbean waters. From information read I think we are leaning toward paying cash for any smaller incidents, and having 'catastrophic' return home coverage for any big trauma/sickness.

Here is one company I have found that we are doing further research with...
https://www.travelinsurance.ca/en/pu...patriates.aspx

You mention you are on the Federal plan- is that the Public Service retiree plan? If yes I would be interested in what documentation you have found as we will also be retired on full pension from Public Service. Thanks!
OttawaSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 09:51   #6

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

How much does the ex-pat plan cost that you linked to?
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:49   #7

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

If I pay income tax and my BC med premium I can keep my coverage in BC. This will not cover me else where. Have read about DIvers insurance. It gets you home, (Puddle Jumpers Forum on Yahoo.)

The other advice is to pay local as it is a cheap as insurance. We leave for the South Pacific and are still unsure!
Old 02-05-2013, 19:23   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Chosen View Post
We are preparing to set off for three years in the Caribbean and are wrestling with the health insurance issue. We will not be eligible for a provincial card since we will not be "residents" in any specific province, but I will am fortunate enough to have federal non-resident insurance for physician services, drugs etc. The kicker is that it does not cover hospital costs so if I cut my hand and get stitched up at a clinic, I am coved but if I cut it off and need to go to a hospital, I am not. Without debating the logic of the Fed gov policy, what do other Canadians use for insurance when they are out of country longer than their provincial coverage will allow?
As an Albertan, I can get up to a 2 year waiver on residency. I am not sure if other provinces have the same condition. In many cases if you are not going to be in the US, it may be cheaper just to self-insure. I know Guatemala and Mexico both have very competent doctors, as does Cuba. In Cuba you need to buy their insurance, but it is dirt cheap.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
As an Albertan, I can get up to a 2 year waiver on residency. I am not sure if other provinces have the same condition.
Ontario also has the two-year waiver, but you can only exercise this option once for OHIP.
Old 03-05-2013, 13:47   #10

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

^Crap I thought if I came back (hurricane season) could start again I will have to recheck. Will you guys insure or pay as you go?

Tags
health, insurance