Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2021, 15:06   #16

Re: High Intensity Emergency use Laser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenta View Post
Cruising inland waters or near coastal without knowing someone is out there I would agree. But if we're offshore and see that, or are keeping a lookout because the Coast Guard has sent out an alert for that area - then I would investigate a pink flamingo if I saw it floating by.
I guess I'm still confused about why one would advocate for a signal that is not universally recognized as a distress signal and is recognized as a hazard by any pilot, over the actual purpose built distress devices like flares and strobes that are just as effective with none of the down side?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 15:22   #17

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I guess I'm still confused about why one would advocate for a signal that is not universally recognized as a distress signal and is recognized as a hazard by any pilot, over the actual purpose built distress devices like flares and strobes that are just as effective with none of the down side?
I was only trying to defend the responsible use of a laser light when one has such a thing available to them. No question it is less than ideal.
I was not saying to use it instead of flares or other traditional devices.
But as a backup device or a simple piece of kit that you can toss in a ditch bag?
Why not?

If you have a small portable power source with a solar panel you can even recharge the dang thing.

There are several examples of laser products designed for this type of thing, and I was really just trying to tame down the "you'll shoot your eye out" mentality that oft gets tossed around.

https://www.greatlandlaser.com/green...e-laser-flare/

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/led-laser...s-tested-36341
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 18:30   #18

Boat: Islander 36

Can’t remember where I read it, but I do remember a laser reported to be effective defense against a threat of boarding by pirates. Hate to go down that road, but has anyone else run across similar stories?
Old 03-08-2021, 18:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenta View Post
I was only trying to defend the responsible use of a laser light when one has such a thing available to them. No question it is less than ideal.
I was not saying to use it instead of flares or other traditional devices.
But as a backup device or a simple piece of kit that you can toss in a ditch bag?
Why not?

If you have a small portable power source with a solar panel you can even recharge the dang thing.

There are several examples of laser products designed for this type of thing, and I was really just trying to tame down the "you'll shoot your eye out" mentality that oft gets tossed around.

https://www.greatlandlaser.com/green...e-laser-flare/

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/led-laser...s-tested-36341
Why not? Because there is absolutely no benefit and significant detriment to using this piece of kit! To make it simple, you're better off without devices that repel rescuers!

If you absolutely must have one more piece of kit in your ditch bag, get an extra copy of an equally small, cheap, solar rechargeable actual rescue signalling device!

I'm still left baffled to what end someone would advocate for carrying something that the guys who did this for a living for 20+ years all agree make you worse off? Just to be obstinate, stick it to the man, prove that lasers won't actually hurt pilots eyes because random cruiser knows better than the MDs who studied this and came up with the requirements....?
Old 08-08-2021, 09:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Can’t remember where I read it, but I do remember a laser reported to be effective defense against a threat of boarding by pirates. Hate to go down that road, but has anyone else run across similar stories?
Good approach.
If you've to decide been killed or defense yourselve without killing anyone ... mmh ... it's your choice.
If I would have such a defense wappon ... mmh ...
Dirk01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:41   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The issue has been highlighted a laser is not in any way seen as an emergency signal. In fact due to idiots it’s actually seen as an idiots toy.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:18   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

There are special emergency lasers that are sold to pilots. They have a fan shaped beam and sights. Seventy hours continuous use on a couple of AA batteries.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...scuelaser1.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48717F40-1CF2-4887-828E-5B108B0251CB.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	243453  
Old 08-08-2021, 17:52   #23

Boat: Islander 36

The report indicated that the laser was effective in turning the situation around, or the would be victim would not have been around to post it.
Old 08-08-2021, 17:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
There are special emergency lasers that are sold to pilots. They have a fan shaped beam and sights. Seventy hours continuous use on a couple of AA batteries.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...scuelaser1.php
If there’s anything I’ve learned as a professional aviator, it’s that just because something is marketed to pilots, doesn’t mean it is the result of good headwork.

These companies take a laser, make minuscule changes (if any at all) and slap aviation/marine/rescue or whatever on the label. Notice that none of these lasers (aviation, marine) are approved by any agency.

If you want to carry one of these, by all means. Just don’t make it your first/only signaling device. The overwhelming majority of pilots, unless they are specifically looking for you, will simply assume you’re just another ******* and put you at their six o’clock.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 18:08   #25

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Can't see ANY good coming from their use.

The only other reason I can envision (no pun intended) is for personal defense against pirate attack.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 19:03   #26

Lasers and flares are outdated technology. With DSC, EPIRBS, and Inreach providing exact GPS coordinates SAR aircraft know just where they are going without someone shining lasers or firing flares (which are rarely recognized as distress signals anyways - the officers of the SS Californian watched the Titanic firing distress rockets from less than 10 miles away but mistook them for private signals and didn't think it worth waking the Captain.)

Once aircraft are within 20 miles -- and long before they could see a laser or flare -- a handheld VHF radio is the best way to communicate with them. The pilots don't even have to be looking in the right direction.

If you must have a light, the MarineBeam LED flashlight uses a focused and amplified beam much like a laser for astonishing range (but it won't blind anyone). It's like holding a science fiction Martian ray gun.

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...or-flashlight/
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Lasers and flares are outdated technology. With DSC, EPIRBS, and Inreach providing exact GPS coordinates SAR aircraft know just where they are going without someone shining lasers or firing flares (which are rarely recognized as distress signals anyways - the officers of the SS Californian watched the Titanic firing distress rockets from less than 10 miles away but mistook them for private signals and didn't think it worth waking the Captain.)

Once aircraft are within 20 miles -- and long before they could see a laser or flare -- a handheld VHF radio is the best way to communicate with them. The pilots don't even have to be looking in the right direction.

If you must have a light, the MarineBeam LED flashlight uses a focused and amplified beam much like a laser for astonishing range (but it won't blind anyone). It's like holding a science fiction Martian ray gun.

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...or-flashlight/
I wouldn't disagree with much of what you said, but there is till a use for flares and signals. The data SAR pilots have can be significantly delayed by the time it filters to them, and you could have drifted a good distance in that time. I found it especially valuable in San Francisco when we were working in crappy visibility in the fog to have survivors shoot off flares as we arrived on scene so we didn't have to waste any time looking for them. If you're at the edge of a helicopter's range, which could be because you're far offshore or could just be because the helicopter was diverted half-way through another mission, any fuel wasted looking for you is fuel that can't be used to rescue you. And in my time flying we were pretty much fuel critical as soon as we took off, we really couldn't carry much.

Tags
emergency, enc