Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 22:48   #31

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: How Life has Changed ... Unfortunately

Children now have it different than we had. But I don't think it has really changed for the worse. I see my brothers' and sisters kids play outside all the time (don't have kids myself, so choose to dote over my siblings' offspring in stead). They get a chance to learn things at ages we never had. I'm a bit envious of them.

They also get a lot more freedom. No way that I would have been allowed to go on holiday with my GF as a teenager for example...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:16   #32

Boat: wharram tiki 26

In the not too distant future these will be the good ole days.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:45   #33

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
In the not too distant future these will be the good ole days.

I know... Two things seem to be constant during human history:

- People continuously think that the world is going to hell.
- The world continuous to ignore that and is just fine, and even keeps on improving...

I mean, even in Roman times people already complained about mis behaving youngsters, traffic, pollution and how the world couldn't possible feed 60 million people...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27   #34

Boat: Skookum 53'

The only constant is change. We used to play outside all day with nary an adult supervision with exception of hollering dinner time out the back door.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:09   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

The problem with Nostalgia is that they don't make it (up!) as they used to..........

Seems that every culture and time has own mythical best of times, with the USA it seems to be the 50's (and for some the early 1900's and others the 1700's - as least it is on Facebook!).........for those who never had to struggle in them as an adult.

In the UK I think the good old days is a mix between days of Empire (always forgetting that 99.99% of us were the cannon and factory fodder) and summit to do with WWII and sticking it up Jerry. What I say is bring back rickets and the 500 hour week, with early retirement in a coffin.

As me Father has said for the last 40 years - "these are the good old days" ("the other ones you can stick up yer arse! - I was there!)

(BTW father now 79 - presently in France for a month or so with his Campervan, will be back for a bit of messing around with his motorboat later).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:51   #36

Boat: Sabre 28
Well there was the problem oh walking to school, uphill both ways through the snow.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:48   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Nothing is more responsible for "the good old days" than a bad memory.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52   #38

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Did you know that lead paint chips taste sweet to young children?
Yes I did know that. Antifreeze is sweet as well which is why some Chinese companies used it to sweeten children's cough syrup sold to Panama.
Here in N.C. an expensive lead cert. is required to install a cabinet in a 20 yr. old house or risk a $20,000 fine. Meanwhile I have routinely installed new lead on new roofs in Europe. Ain't it grand when you have people that do not know how to do anything make laws for everyone?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:07   #39
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I was born in the 30s, bought my first sailing boat in 1957, a clinker bilt folkboat. It had an engine! a long shaft sea gull LOL So I guess some of 30s folks don't fit the genral rules! And ya know I did not have to ask anyone to sail off to hawyee!! and I asked no one when I left for the PNW! and I sure did not ck in when I got to Seattle ! Yeppers things have changed a bit over the years !! and not for the better at least by my standards

Somewhere, someone has that old Seagull for sail on Craig's List!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41   #40

Boat: Carter offshore 35

While the original post was enjoyable reading the board has run aground and should be on another site besides this one. This is for cruising.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07   #41
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
The only constant is change. We used to play outside all day with nary an adult supervision with exception of hollering dinner time out the back door.

We had even more freedom than that. We'd go down the street and play whatever kind of softball game we could scrounge together in an empty lot. We were allowed to ride our bikes a certain distance in any direction (based on staying away from heavy traffic streets). Just be home by dinner time.

While it was wonderfully free, when I was five and my sister 8 we were walking home from school when a man tried to lure me to his car with candy. I had a sweet tooth the size of my head and thought I could take the candy but not get in the car. My sister pulled me back and when we got home, my mom called the police.

Truth is we had too much freedom. We just hear about these incidents more now because media is so much more effective. We didn't have a TV until the following year (1951) and there was limited broadcasting -- no local news, for instance.

I wonder how many children that man approached. We'll never know.

That was one of a number of memories that caused me and my husband to go along with the much stricter rules for how much supervision children should have when we had our children.

Comparing sailboats to cars, boats have a markedly lower level of "government supervision" than cars do. I look at the two and wonder sometimes why people complain about boating rules, when there really are so few in comparison to just about anything else on the planet.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Life has Changed ... Unfortunately

Born in '48... raised in Pakistan till 16 then joined the Royal Navy... they were 'good ole days' for me... jobs a dime a dozen... no minimum wage so you got a 'fair days pay for a fair days work'... it was called 'Competing for Decent Labour'... nowadays wages have gone down to meet the minimum... great for factories, corps etc.. crap for us down here...
Bad ole days started in the 70's/80's when Gubermunt realised they'd screwed up by overeducating the masses... we realised we could object to stupid wars that did not need to happen and we were not just cannon fodder... so effort was put into the creation of alternatives for dumbing down the masses with bling and indoor amusements and a much lower standard of education...
Middle East is suffering the consequences the W went through in the 60's... an educated middle class...
Intelligent folk don't just go "Sir..! Yes Sir...!!"
We tend to say "Why... give me a valid reason to be stupid"
Often wonder why folk respect Gubermunts... all they are is a variation of the Mafia.. complete with their 'soldiers'... just some are less paranoid than others...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21   #43

If you don't like the content, then be content elsewhere, you too can click the "unsubscribe" button.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Life has Changed ... Unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
If you don't like the content, then be content elsewhere, you too can click the "unsubscribe" button.
Is that to all of us... or 1 person in particular...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49   #45

Just listing options for those who find the content disagreeable. I thought we were having fun.