Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2018, 10:22   #181

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: I Can't Believe I'm Starting a Gun Thread

The whole discussion on the correct gun may have more to do with the shooter. My 172# would like to be able the get off a second round where as a guy 230# may be able to handle a heavier round/load/ca./bore, etc etc. and still be able to handle the recoil and barrel rise.
Old 25-01-2018, 10:36   #182
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

For some reason the topic of handling recoil and getting back into battery (firing position) jogged my memory today. There is in fact one weapon, one type of non-automatic rifle, that makes that fairly easy. I dare to say:

Gattling gun.

It is NOT an automatic weapon, the trigger is fired manually as it is manually cranked to chamber and fire each round. And as such they are not regulated (in the US at least) as automatic weapons, but as simple rifles. Gun regulations being so quirky, who'd think.

No problems with the barrel rising, no problems with missing on the first round. Might seem a little excessive but then again...mounted on the rail, it WOULD be a perfect polar bear rifle.(G)
Old 25-01-2018, 10:59   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The whole discussion on the correct gun may have more to do with the shooter.
Yes, yes it does and this is often overlooked. Having said that, almost anyone can learn to shoot any firearm in a safe and accurate manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
My 172# would like to be able the get off a second round where as a guy 230# may be able to handle a heavier round/load/ca./bore, etc etc. and still be able to handle the recoil and barrel rise.
For a shotgun, or even the somewhat larger rifle rounds being discussed, it is mostly about technique and not the weight and strength of the shooter.

The guy I mentioned on a previous post was far LARGER, both in height and weight, compared to two very petite women who passed with perfect scores on the shot gun course. Heck, one of the women was barely 5 feet tall. The man was far stronger but he ended up bruised and with an arm that would not move because he could not listen and do.

Both itty bitty little women were able to fire multiple rounds from a 12 gauge in a few seconds. They could do it because THEY could listen and do which the big manly man was incapable of doing. Taint the only time I have seen it happen either but I mention these women because one was around five feet tall, the other might have been 5' 6", and I doubt either one weighed over 125 pounds. The guy had to have been at least 180-190 pounds, six feet tall, and in pretty good shape.

There are shock absorbing stocks for shot guns that work real well which would make follow up shots faster and maybe more accurate irregardless of technique.

Later,
Dan
Old 25-01-2018, 12:05   #184

I spend a lot of time on gun forums and I have NEVER seen anyone inquire about sailing.

Okay, I understand why you might ask sailors about the legality of transporting a firearm on your sailboat. But asking on a sailing site which gun is most appropriate for protection from polar bears? You gotta be kidding.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:26   #185

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yes, yes it does and this is often overlooked. Having said that, almost anyone can learn to shoot any firearm in a safe and accurate manner.

For a shotgun, or even the somewhat larger rifle rounds being discussed, it is mostly about technique and not the weight and strength of the shooter.

The guy I mentioned on a previous post was far LARGER, both in height and weight, compared to two very petite women who passed with perfect scores on the shot gun course. Heck, one of the women was barely 5 feet tall. The man was far stronger but he ended up bruised and with an arm that would not move because he could not listen and do.

Both itty bitty little women were able to fire multiple rounds from a 12 gauge in a few seconds. They could do it because THEY could listen and do which the big manly man was incapable of doing. Taint the only time I have seen it happen either but I mention these women because one was around five feet tall, the other might have been 5' 6", and I doubt either one weighed over 125 pounds. The guy had to have been at least 180-190 pounds, six feet tall, and in pretty good shape.

There are shock absorbing stocks for shot guns that work real well which would make follow up shots faster and maybe more accurate irregardless of technique.

Later,
Dan
Skeet shooting with #7 shot is different than pumpkin balls at a polar bear. Neither of which is my bailiwick. My 12 sits in the closet with a trench gun barrel and no plug. Call me paranoid.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:39   #186

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
I spend a lot of time on gun forums and I have NEVER seen anyone inquire about sailing.

Okay, I understand why you might ask sailors about the legality of transporting a firearm on your sailboat. But asking on a sailing site which gun is most appropriate for protection from polar bears? You gotta be kidding.
These are my friends here, bud.

I would ask them ANYTHING, on any given topic. There is such a collection of expertise on CF on any topic you can think of, you could probably get a qualified opinion about some arcane aspect of brain surgery, if you wanted to.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 25-01-2018, 12:44   #187

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Evans in post 131 reported the same, but Nuuk is on the West Coast. Dockhead says he is going to the East coast about 70'N and there isn't a lot there. Pre-ordered via the firm linked to on the Greenland thread might be an option.
The town is one of the remotest in the world, but it has about 450 people ... there will be a store ... and it will sell whatever ammo the locals use, and will probably sell guns too (if they haven't sold out ... there will only be one or two supply ships per year, and he may arrive before the ship).

Realistically his only options are going to be a simple hunting rifle or a shotgun ... anything else will be illegal. And he's limited to the ammo he can purchase either locally, or in the UK where he is starting (and there ain't nobody shooting at bears in the UK).

If dockhead wants to avoid UK paperwork, I'd guess his best bet is to prearrange purchase of a gun via the tourist office (they rent guns, but that won't work if he's sailing south along the coast afterwards), and pick it up on arrival ... they also advertise rifle courses - might be a good idea to get some tuition from people who deal with polar bears regularly.
Old 25-01-2018, 14:06   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I would ask them ANYTHING, on any given topic. There is such a collection of expertise on CF on any topic you can think of, you could probably get a qualified opinion about some arcane aspect of brain surgery, if you wanted to.
Sorry, but by that reasoning, you should ask them about kitchen remodeling, yoga mats, and pet supplies.

Which defeats the purpose of a topic specific forum.
Old 25-01-2018, 14:12   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

you could probably get a qualified opinion about some arcane aspect of brain surgery,
What do you want to know?

Old 25-01-2018, 15:01   #190
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I Can't Believe I'm Starting a Gun Thread

Quote:
Sorry, but by that reasoning, you should ask them about kitchen remodeling, yoga mats, and pet supplies.

I don't know.. its the calmest gun thread I've seen on here..
Also.. it may surprise you what some of us may have done in our pasts.. fact or fiction..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 25-01-2018, 15:08   #191

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

10 pages and I’m surprised no one has suggested the obvious. Dockhead, no gun needed, since you are an attorney why don’t you send a process server on ahead to inform the polar bears that if they don’t cease and desist from molesting your party you will sue the fur off of them.
Old 25-01-2018, 15:12   #192

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:

A guy on AR15.com bought a small sailboat and sailed down the east coast and through Florida. On FALFILES.com yesterday was a question about living aboard a houseboat. I suppose if somebody is on an idiot site like THR there may not be sailing discussions, but there are many who sail and shoot.
Old 25-01-2018, 15:14   #193

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Double barreled 600 nitro express. You probably won't need the 700. $25,000 for the rifle. Used.
Click image for larger version

Name:	the_600_nitro_express_is_typical_of_huge_bore_elephant_gun_rounds.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	162858Click image for larger version

Name:	pix917979692.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	162859
Old 25-01-2018, 15:24   #194

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Oh, but we do. And it doesn't defeat anything. You should read the threads on how to roast and make the best coffee, sharing recipes, how to deal with pets, etc., etc., etc.

What you don't understand is that this is an extremely tightly knit community of people with a great variety of areas of expertise. I would much rather get instruction from my friends on here whom I know and trust, than to blunder into some gun forum where I know no one. There is more than enough expertise here.

And this topic is not at all unrelated to the "topic specific forum" anyway -- for cruising in Arctic areas, the issue with polar bears will be near the top of every cruiser's list of things to worry about.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-01-2018, 15:26   #195

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
What do you want to know?

ROTFLMAO.

Weavis here is a doc.

Case on point!
Walt Whitman
Closed Thread