Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 08:10   #241

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: I Can't Believe I'm Starting a Gun Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
The M1 Garand is an excellent weapon. I thought it carried eight rounds but regardless, I love mine.

On a different note, the bears will attempt especially if encouraged like these people did. I'm thinking this is perhaps not the best idea.

Here's a different encounter that was not encourage. My only question is how they returned to the vessel. I am guessing they had a second dinghy.
I have no words to describe what I think about the people in the first video.

As far as the second video is concerned -- this is actually a really serious concern. It would be life threatening to be left on shore with the dinghy destroyed.

What we plan to do about that is to have a spare roll up dinghy on board, and at all time without exception leave someone on board, when others are on shore.

But also I think we will anchor the dinghy a little off the beach, with a kellet to pull the dinghy out to the anchor when released, and a line taken ashore which can be used to pull it back to the beach. I don't think that's a 100% guarantee -- polar bears obviously are good swimmers. But maybe they will be less inclined to attack a dinghy in the water.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 08-04-2018, 09:53   #242

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

12ga 3" Brenneke slugs.

And to relate this to cruising and provisioning.... buy the weapon (Mossberg 500 20"), own it, make sure everyone aboard has gone to the range to shoot it and knows how to use it...safely....knows how the safety works, etc.

Make sure you are legal everywhere.

One weapon should suffice for a defense situation. Everyone should know where it is, how it is secured, what ammunition to use and how to use it.

Keep it simple, and be safe.
Best
J
Old 08-04-2018, 11:22   #243

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have no words to describe what I think about the people in the first video.

As far as the second video is concerned -- this is actually a really serious concern. It would be life threatening to be left on shore with the dinghy destroyed.

What we plan to do about that is to have a spare roll up dinghy on board, and at all time without exception leave someone on board, when others are on shore.

But also I think we will anchor the dinghy a little off the beach, with a kellet to pull the dinghy out to the anchor when released, and a line taken ashore which can be used to pull it back to the beach. I don't think that's a 100% guarantee -- polar bears obviously are good swimmers. But maybe they will be less inclined to attack a dinghy in the water.
That kellet is a great idea. I never thought of something like that so thanks for telling me about that.

The first video is proof that every pool needs skimming, especially the gene pool!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:32   #244

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That kellet is a great idea. I never thought of something like that so thanks for telling me about that.
I don't remember where I learned about it, but I don't think I thought of it. I have used it on dinghy docks which were too crowded to leave your dinghy. Works like a charm.

Quote:
The first video is proof that every pool needs skimming, especially the gene pool!
ROTFLMAO.

Truly unbelievable behavior -- they seem to think they're in a petting zoo!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 08-04-2018, 11:56   #245

Boat: Pearson 33-2

I had no idea there was now a .700. 1,000 grains of lead!!
Old 08-04-2018, 12:01   #246

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I don't remember where I learned about it, but I don't think I thought of it. I have used it on dinghy docks which were too crowded to leave your dinghy. Works like a charm.

ROTFLMAO.

Truly unbelievable behavior -- they seem to think they're in a petting zoo!
Just make pets of them. Asinine to be feeding them.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:05   #247

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...a 45-70 big game rifle...
This is a good choice, as far as performance is concerned. Though ammo availability might be spotty.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:08   #248

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
The M1 Garand is an excellent weapon. I thought it carried eight rounds but regardless, I love mine.

On a different note, the bears will attempt especially if encouraged like these people did. I'm thinking this is perhaps not the best idea.

Here's a different encounter that was not encourage. My only question is how they returned to the vessel. I am guessing they had a second dinghy.
I've done some really stupid things in my life, but feeding a polar of an anchored boat is beyond reason!
When I lived in AK I never stepped out of my vehicle without a pistol, out side the cities. There were just too many reports of people being mauled by bears. Even moose were trouble at times.

As for guns on boats, I keep a marine version of the Mossburg 12 gage model 590, holds 9 rounds.
Sometimes the only food to eat is birds. And slug will put a nice hole in the waterline of an unwanted boat.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:15   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
This is a good choice, as far as performance is concerned. Though ammo availability might be spotty.
Should only take one round. An 06 is formidable. It's the bullet and how much damage it can do with someone that can shoot not piss their pants under pressure.
Old 08-04-2018, 15:25   #250
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

Obviously Plan "A" is not to let a bear get close enough to be a threat, and Plan "B" is to scare one away if it does get too close. But if we do need Plan "C", we will have overwhelming firepower, which is always the best way to deal with a violent situation, if it's an available option.
When we were cruising in bear country we were similarly armed for shore parties.
I could not help but feel the irony that this protection emboldened us to approach congregation areas closer than as if we were unarmed and not the Alpha group.

After all, were were there to see them.

Luckily in one tense situation where an aggressive bear came too close, the air horn startled it enough to allow us to back off.

My point, even with that firepower, encourage your team to act as if they were unarmed.
Old 08-04-2018, 15:44   #251

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Polar bears are the top of their food chain, and act accordingly. So, you have to act accordingly.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:22   #252
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
When we were cruising in bear country we were similarly armed for shore parties.
I could not help but feel the irony that this protection emboldened us to approach congregation areas closer than as if we were unarmed and not the Alpha group.

Luckily in one tense situation where an aggressive bear came too close, the air horn startled it enough to allow us to back off.

My point, even with that firepower, encourage your team to act as if they were unarmed.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:53   #253

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Well, the polar bear is the world's largest land predator, and certainly one of the smartest and most aggressive. They weigh up to 3/4 of a tonne and can run at 30km/h. No amount of firepower would make me be not scared shirtless of these monsters. Believe me, if we catch sight of one, we will be going the other way as quickly as possible.

In other words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
Polar bears are the top of their food chain, and act accordingly. So, you have to act accordingly.
Walt Whitman
Old 09-04-2018, 10:12   #254
RPZ

Forget about shotguns. For a Polar bear you want a rifle with heavier weight controlled expansion bullets. Shotgun pellets will just make them really mad, and slugs do not have sufficient penetration.

A 30-06 with 180 grain premium bonded core bullets would be a minimum.

Forget telescopic sights, you want "iron" open sights of the "express rifle" type

Oh, and don't try to run from a bear - you won't make it. If they are not running towards you by all means try and make distance. Anything running a bear will regard it as food.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:22   #255

The stupidest defense I had heard regarding polar bears was from a friend. While in the USAF he was stationed on an ice island, radar installation. Moving from trailer to trailer they had to travel in pairs each carrying an M1 carbine. I figure the best defense would be to beat the bear in the nose with the butts. He might get tired of it?
Closed Thread