Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2018, 10:03   #286

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: I Can't Believe I'm Starting a Gun Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
One day when I was in my teens hunting we came across a bear routing under a tree, we were driving down the dirt road when we seen it. We stop we get out and keep in mind this is bow season. My step father and my older brother draw down on what we thought was a pig rooting. they both let go at almost the same moment. The bear looks up at the sound just in time for both arrows to strike. One hit right between the eyes and the bounces off and the arrow goes straight up. Keep in mind these are quality broadheads hunting arrows. The second Arrow strikes just about his shoulder blade and it also bounces off! Obviously that bear is very unhappy! Thankfully he ran away. Lesson learned. Bears are extremely durable! to kill one with a 22 is absolutely ludicrous I'm not sure that would penetrate the skull even at point-blank range, it could be possible. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to stake my life on that! Where bears are concerned bigger is better! And a bunch of rounds also, don't hold back with that dude! Unless you want to wind up poo
I could not agree more. The talk of a 22 is ludicrous, squirrel or ground hog anyone?. And bigger is better and even at that a shot not well placed is likely to just piss one off..
Old 24-04-2018, 15:42   #287

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
Bears are extremely durable! to kill one with a 22 is absolutely ludicrous I'm not sure that would penetrate the skull even at point-blank range, it could be possible. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to stake my life on that! Where bears are concerned bigger is better! And a bunch of rounds also, don't hold back with that dude! Unless you want to wind up poo
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to hint at without actually using the word "ludicrous." Obviously, no bear can be counted on to hold completely still, at just the right angle to you so as to allow you a kill shot at just the right angle to avoid hitting any bone. My only experience with shooting big animals is a couple of moose that weighed a little over 1000# each. One might think it would be easy to kill such a docile creature and it would be if they'd hold perfectly still so you could put a bullet into their brain or their heart. But if you hit one in the head and it deflects enough so you don't hit the brain, it's going to run off and possibly die a slow, miserable death from the damage you caused and by the time it dies, it'll be too far from a road to make use of the meat. So, for me a head shot was out and that left the heart. The lungs are a bigger target and would also kill a moose but if you only hit one lung, then once again it'll run deep into the woods and you'll have a lot of trouble getting the meat. So, that leaves a heart shot as the surest and best way to kill a moose, or any big animal. In the diagrams it looks simple, just put a bullet just above the top of it's front leg and it's a done deal. The trouble I found is that it's very difficult to get a moose to stand just side to you. Either he's running away from you or angling towards you and in the first case you have no chance at a kill shot at all and in the second case if you try to hit him in the heart you're likely to hit a shoulder so the bullet is deflected. And that's just trying to kill a moose that poses almost no danger to you. I found that even though I knew just where I wanted to hit the moose and I'm a reasonable shot, especially at the relatively close ranges involved, it took 2 or 3 30-06 rounds in the chest to drop them. So, for a big bear that's acting aggressively towards me, I'd want something more powerful than a 30-06 (a cannon?) and no matter how powerful the gun, I'd assume it would take me several shots in a vital area to stop him. It's a lot harder than it looks on TV.
Old 24-04-2018, 22:28   #288

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Maybe you just need a bigger gun...

https://youtu.be/hsvizH4U26E
Old 24-04-2018, 23:20   #289

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I know. Get an RPG or rocket launcher.
Ok, now THAT was hysterical!!!! One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Thanks for the laughs!!!!!
Old 26-04-2018, 02:29   #290
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Maybe you just need a bigger gun...

https://youtu.be/hsvizH4U26E
Or bigger again
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-04-2018, 12:21   #291

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

This thread is increasingly high caliber.
Old 26-04-2018, 13:35   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
This thread is increasingly high caliber.
Yep! The one on the two barreled rifle, if you need someone behind you to insure you don't get knocked over, you better make sure the first shot does the job.
Old 26-04-2018, 16:27   #293
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Yep! The one on the two barreled rifle, if you need someone behind you to insure you don't get knocked over, you better make sure the first shot does the job.
Yes, that does seem like extreme thinking!

On the other side of extreme thinking, just wonder if anyone has tried throwing honey at them? [emoji4]

https://youtu.be/oVUWvKDSns8
Old 26-04-2018, 17:17   #294

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
The old four bores were known as "stopping guns".

African safari guides would carry them and walk behind the hunter. The hunter might be carrying a .600 Nitro Express. And when the hunter bounced a round of a rhino skull, the guide wanted something that not so much kill a charging animal as something that would drop it in it's tracks.
Old 26-04-2018, 20:43   #295
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I wonder if the bear hugged you, would you still need the guy behind to catch you...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-04-2018, 11:04   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I wonder if the bear hugged you, would you still need the guy behind to catch you...
He would probably have haued ass. The post on the guide, he would probably not miss or would at least not be a novice with recoil or mussel rise. I would probably need to change my draws. Best case.
Old 28-04-2018, 19:04   #297

Boat: self propelled trailerable aluminum hybrid multihull 35' being designed/built for Alaska/BC.
Ref: #268 Old Groaner

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...d=627&magid=48
Old 29-04-2018, 12:36   #298

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1949.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	168913  
Old 29-04-2018, 12:46   #299

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Ref: #268 Old Groaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahauq View Post
When I hiked Alaska I always carried my S&W .357 Magnum w/158 gr. load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	168914  
Old 29-04-2018, 12:51   #300
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Ref: #268 Old Groaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahauq View Post

While they may generally be on point (i.e. hollowpoint bullets are not designed to penetrate thick skulls) they also seem to be working on a different time scale. " On the other hand, they [black bears] have been known to attack unprovoked and often kill people."

Statistics all seem to say "rarely" kill people, not often. Perhaps once or twice a year in all of North America. Although, I've never seen the stats for black bears in the UK, where they also exist.
Closed Thread