Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2006, 13:09   #16

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Carrying

Irwinsailor. As a farmer and part time pacifist I can agree with you. I think I said that before. I use the gun on my neighbours shelf when I need one. Like the time a sheep ran into the fence and broke its neck, or when a deer with a broken leg ran on to the property. Aiming the same weapon at people is not in my current profile.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 13:22   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I have been told several times that if a U.S. boat in Canada has a flair gun aboard they would be breaking Canadian law. Is that true?
Old 15-01-2006, 13:24   #18

Flair gun

I have a flair gun on my boat. The boat has been inspected by the Coast Guard ( Canadian )
Michael
Old 15-01-2006, 13:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes but does the law allow a Non Canadian to carry a pistol type flair gun?
Old 15-01-2006, 13:47   #20
Kai Nui

Ah, we are renewing old threads. Shows how much I pay attention
Old 15-01-2006, 13:54   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It can save time. Also it brings back views from folks that may not be here any longer.
Old 15-01-2006, 14:12   #22

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
flare guns

I don't think flare guns are restricted in any way in Canada - you can buy them here without a permit. Check the website or call the border agency if you have a concern and if in doubt, declare it on arrival. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...html#P108_1917

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 18:10   #23

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Oh, goody

Light loads in the 12 ga. shotgun shells so you don't blow your hand off when you use your flare gun as a weapon.
Good deal.
I hate being the only person in town without equal footing.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 19:25   #24

Flare gun, Canada

As far as I know they are quite legal, which means if I can have one, you can have one. The US is more inclined to have different laws for different folks based on status. I know of no law that prohibits a US citizen having flares on board a boat in Canadian waters, in fact the requirements are that flares must be carried. And it is recomended that some of the flares be of the flare gun type. I in no way endorse the use of flare guns for anything but shooting flares. HTH.
Michael
Old 15-01-2006, 21:33   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Delmarrey and Irwinsailor, Surely all those guns are not JUST for self defense? You are surely a collector of firearms for some reason, are you not. I love guns, but for Tarket shooting only. I am a marksman in smallbore and love clay shooting. But I would never have a gun on board my boat. Actually it is illegal to discharge a firearm onboard a boat in NZ waters. I would never consider a firearm for selfdefence in such a way as to carry it or have it in close proximity to be able to readily aquire it for defence.
Swinger5000, you stated a statistic of 2million robberies. I wonder how many of those would have happened if guns could not be obtained by the criminals as easily as anyone else. I think many criminals would think twice before entering a property if they did not have a gun. Just a thought.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 21:40   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Isn't it interesting that we as the Human race, view a weapon as a piece of art. A sword with the most amasing craftmanship and ingraving, the fine precision workmanship of a hand gun, the accuracy and craftmanship of a rifle. They can be stunning pieces of artwork, the result of the skill of the finest craftsman, yet so deadly and we view them with such awe.
Isn't it also interesting that we as the Human race, owe so much of our modern day technical achievements to the developments of technology for war.
Interesting.

Old 15-01-2006, 22:33   #27

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
guns?

Although he stated that most people in England "don't want guns", I doubt Walnut speaks for the collectors and target shooters who had to give theirs up. I wonder what he would say if they outlawed cricket bats. I've heard of assaults and even deaths caused by cricket bats, but I doubt they keep statistics on them.
I found the site very interesting (posted here so you don't have to go back:
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb0104.pdf )
Something I thought was interesting was the stat that there were over 10000 crimes committed with a firearm that year, despite the fact that firearms are highly restricted and/or outright illegal. Curious. Even more interesting was that firearms were used in less than half of 1% of all crimes. Even more interesting - airguns were used in over 13000 crimes.
Now get this - in the 10000 crimes with real guns, those guns were fired only 28% of the time, but in the 13000 crimes with fake guns (airguns), they were fired 96% of the time. Kind of backs up my point that firearms can be just as effective without being fired. It also corroborates my point that when you use something other than a firearm (in this case to commit a crime, but I think the same would apply in preventing crime) you have a greater need to use it.
The funny thing is that "sharp instruments" are used most often to commit homicides in England - they were used for 27% of all killings, so why don't they ban knives in England? Clearly a nation of stabbers and slashers - ever since Jack the Ripper.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 23:18   #28
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I have already stated that I would not carry a gun onboard however that was not strictly correct. When I am in NZ waters I will have my mini 14 for hunting ashore. I'm better at shooting pigs & deer than catching snapper and I'm so damn broke now I've got to get my protein from somewhere
In New Zealand deer, goats, pigs, any animal not farm raised is considered a pest (they were all introduced) and have no formal hunting season so I can help the environment and fill my belly.
One of the hardest things I found in the States was seeing deer on grazing on the side of the road and not being able to fill the freezer with them. Seemed a totally alien concept to me.
Anyway, when I leave NZ the gun will be left behind.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 01:28   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, your not considered a patriotic Kiwi, if ya don't run over the Possum or Rabbit in your headlights.

Old 16-01-2006, 04:17   #30

I have change my mind!!

There is some deep dark **** going on here!While it does seem a better way to face strength with meekness to enable a passive outcome to a topic that lies close to free people on a very huge part of the globe,namely the ocean,I think after reading and re reading this topic over and over that most people are in favour of not taking weapons aboard but ,on the other hand dont want to take **** from these low-lifes. Or at least dont think that they have to.That might be a different way to ask the same Question.Not ,do you think weapons are necessary but ,do you think they are necessary to help you from taking **** from these low-lifes.I find it hard to believe that people who have grown up with weapons on the land,in the 20th century,with the premise of dont **** with me because I have the right to **** back,are going to give those rights up on the ocean. I havent grown up with that sort of right,But I still have the feeling of Dont **** With Me & I Wont **** With You,Allbeit with no weapons.It seems to me that its not the case of weapons on board that is the underlying issue,but the overall attitude that could determin the outcome.Who is to say that a bit of force back is not the answer,I have read of encounters with pirates that have had an adverse affect on them and not the sailors,mind you they did have guns on board and they were out at sea,but what is the difference except that they won and the pirates didnt.I know that different countries have different rules when it comes to firearms,truth is you dont have to go to countries like that if you think its going to impead on your just rights,but surely out at sea you do have rights,and hell,a few white pointers could allways clean that problem up.Like I said at the start(some dark **** going on here)
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote