Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 13:58   #1

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Inflatable PFDs With Adjustable Fit Harnesses ?

One of our auto inflate PFD/Harness combination vests failed a recent inflation and pressure test. Since ours are around 10 years old, we've decided to replace them, hoping that more modern versions have harnesses that are more adjustable for fit. However, looking at catalogs and websites, everything we've seen appears to be more of the same. Does such a beast exist?
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 14:08   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
check out the spinlock PFDs
Old 01-10-2010, 14:56   #3

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
I got the West marine ones.. comfortable and pretty reasonably priced. I am happy with the purchase. I got the second one down. Offshore with harness.

offshore automatic inflatable life vests
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 15:37   #4

We have the offshore marine ones as well. The design is simple and my wife's activated when a bit of water gobbled away the little pill that holds the air back, just as it's supposed to.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 15:41   #5

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mates. A couple of times a year, we manually blow up the inflatable vest and leave it overnight to ensure it will hold pressure . Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42   #6

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The question was mostly for my wife, who having a very short torso would get a more comfortable fit if the harness could be adjusted vertically. The ones we have are the West Marine brand made by SOSpenders and we may just go back with them again.

Ship O' Fools - I'm not familiar with Spinlock PFD's. Will search them out for a look see.

Thanks again -
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I've used Spinlocks and Baltics, and we have a set of Seagos on board (265 Newton more expensive ones for those working on deck and 165 Newton cheap ones for guests). All with integral harnesses.

I found them all to be perfectly comfortable. Th 265 Newton Seagos are just a bit on the bulky side, but not so much as to really be a bother. The most comfortable of all to me were not the avant-gard Spinlocks, but the el cheapo 165 Newton Seagos, which are completely adjustable and light. You hardly even notice that you're wearing them. The Spinlocks are only 150 Newtons, but are also quite comfortable. The deflated tubes are compressed down to where they resemble straps so they're very compact. However they are very expensive, about $250 in the UK, more than double the cost of the 265 Newton Seagos.

Make sure and have spray hoods, crotch straps, and lights on all of your lfejackets. Lifejackets without crotch straps are just plain dangerous. Spray hoods dramatically increase survival in the water in any kind of rough weather, according to what I have read.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 17:53   #8

Pretty sure that the spinlocks and baltics are not USCG approved...not that it makes a difference to me. Just make sure that you have "other" pfd's on board for the CG.

PS, I've got the crew-fit model that isn't approved either...but probably the best inflatable out there.

ka
kingairpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 18:08   #9
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post

The question was mostly for my wife, who having a very short torso would get a more comfortable fit if the harness could be adjusted vertically.
I purchased the WM Offshore with safety harness. Looking at the warnings, it recommends that it not be worn by someone shorter than 5'5". Something about ribs, sorry I don't have the instructions here at home.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 10:35   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Note that seagoes 165 newtons is the exactly the same as spinlock 150 and all other CE rated 150 Newton lifejackets. Because 150 is the minimu
Buoyancy all lifejackets companies build in about 10 % more gas to ensure compliance. Seago just states the max figure all others state the lower legal figure. It's specmanship.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 16:30   #11

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
For years we have worn a breathable suit with in-built PFD (manual + co2 cannister) which has harness and crotch strap and all the usual flaps and pockets made by a Tasmanian company - Stormy Seas. They have been excellent in every way. They have stood up to the wet trials they have had. I suspect they have sold out to a US company by now though. Motto used to be "Worn not stowed" cos they were easy to wear. Was good not to have to put an inflatable over the suit. Comfortable too.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 21:24   #12

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Recomendations on where to buy PFDs and teathers online?

Great discussion on the pros and cons of what gear to buy.

A friend once said to a sales man at a boat show "I don't want to be floating around out there wishing I'd spent more money on the right safety gear".

Anyway does anyone have any tips on where to get the best deal online for PFDs and saftey gear?

Landfall so far look to be the best people that will ship outside the US.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:34   #13

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Just make certain the cartridges are easily replacable. This could become an issue since couriers may not ship them. They are a hazmat shipping item.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 09:52   #14

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Inflatable PFDs With Adjustable Fit Harnesses ?

+1 Witchcraft. The best deals are overseas. They can't ship the canisters because of TSA restrictions, though. Which then makes them the same cost as domestics.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 12:27   #15

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Re: Inflatable PFDs With Adjustable Fit Harnesses ?

Fortunately many of the overseas companies, like KRU have stateside distributors. That is where I am getting mine, from a sales rep in Tiverton RI.
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote