Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 19:26   #1

Boat: Adams 40'
International flags South east asia 18"x 12"

Hi all!
I was wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy "good quality" small flags 18" x 12" ( for posting aloft). I mainly require southeast Asian countries for now? It just seems so hard to find.

Kind Regards
Mapo
Mapoftassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 17:53   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: International flags South east asia 18"x 12"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoftassie View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy "good quality" small flags 18" x 12" ( for posting aloft). I mainly require southeast Asian countries for now? It just seems so hard to find.
I've not done any comparison shopping, so I cannot boast knowing "the best place to buy".

But noting how many compatriots have responded to your plea, I'll add my recommendation, backed by experience.

I've bought almost all my courtesy flags, national (not meaning the Aus Nat Flag but the defaced red ensign of Aus) flags, Aboriginal/First Nation flags, as well as a few custom pennants, from Atlas Super Flags in Metro Manila, Philippines.

I can buy suggest you contact Gregory (Mr Gregory Tan Gatue, where Tan Gatue is his family name) of Atlas Super Flags. Should you want brass grommets along the hoist etc, make sure you specify same.

Lovely people with whom to deal. I've bought both via e-mail and via personal visit to the family's shop on Rizal Avenue.

See: Atlas Super Flags - Contact Us
Old 01-01-2020, 18:06   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoftassie View Post
"good quality" small flags 18" x 12"
As for quality, you get what you pay for. If you really want good quality, you likely want a wool blend fabric with excellent seams. That's jolly expensive.

Flags that last 3 months in the tropics are more affordable. Fully synthetic.

As for size, I note your vessel is 40 feet. The old rule of thumb of 'an inch of flag for each foot of hull' would suggest you fly a national flag that is 40 inches long.

And if you're cruising any nation that takes pride in itself, you'll find that locals will feel a wee miffed if you're flying, as a courtesy flag, a tiny duster compared to your national flag.

Take Indonesia as an example. Indonesian officials will show no flicker or emotion, but if you're flying a tiny 18" Indonesian flag on your starboard shroud but a 40" Aus ensign from your stern, do not expect them to do you a favour.

YMMV, of course. Frank Zappa noted that anything less than 8" just doesn't count: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/fran...dimension.html
Old 01-01-2020, 18:34   #4

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Hi Mapo,

Most retailers only carry a few SE Asia courtesy flags for Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, and Japan.

I found Jimmy Green Marine in the UK to have the best selection of well-made courtesy flags available online with good turn around time.
Old 01-01-2020, 19:15   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Mapo,

There's an outfit on the Gold Coast makes flags of all nations. I bought one, and thought the quality was good. They're between Southport and Coolangatta. I found them via a Google Search, and they were cooperative. Sorry, I can't think of their name.

Ann
Old 02-01-2020, 11:47   #6

Boat: Outremer 51

I got all my Asian country flags from Flagline.com. They do international first class post shipping and offer 12x18 nylon flags of all Asian countries. Their website is a bit tricky to navigate but you should find what you need here... https://www.flagline.com/search/site...ategory%3A2767

For other parts of the world, the best deal is yachtflags.com - e.g. 22 flags for Pacific Ocean, $105. Quality is not quite as good as Flagline, but the price is great
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, flags