Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 19:35   #61

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Intruder in the Middle of the Night

I figured out how not to get shot.

So far.

The first thing I do is not attack anyone and physically mess with them.

The second thing I do is not say bad things. Allegedly there is a legal thingy called, literally, and I quote, “Fighting Words.” I can get shot for “Fighting Words “ I will look that up some day but in the meantime I won’t say bad things.

So far I have never been shot.

If I do these things I can hang out in Stand Your Ground States confidently.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:01   #62

Boat: Formosa 41

Oh, the above post is how to not get shot by someone standing their ground in a Stand Your Ground State.

If it’s a bad guy with a gun and he wants to shoot you and maybe take your stuff your out of luck.

Although, I guess you could stand YOUR ground and cap his a**.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 05:41   #63

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I think your actions were appropriate and you exercised an appropriate level of restraint. You prevented a stranger with no credible or rational explanation for his presence from boarding very late at night. No harm was done by or to either party. The question of his motives is moot since he was neither allowed to carry out his unknown but possibly sinister intentions, nor was injured or killed. Everybody won.

Had he continued to board, in spite of you ordering him away, I think morally you would have had every right to give him a faceful of flare. Your legal rights to do so in Canada, I won't speculate on, but as they say, better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Most likely he was indeed up to no good. Canada has criminals, too, right? A lost or tired swimmer would have yelled or knocked or something. or at least said, "eh?".

In Louisiana, it is well understood that boarding a strange boat at night without invitation would be gambling with your life.
Old 26-07-2018, 06:26   #64

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
… In Louisiana, it is well understood that boarding a strange boat at night without invitation would be gambling with your life.
I guess our differing reactions are based on our experience with others. Those who’s life experience is one of violence and mistrust will naturally react with the same. Those of us who have had the fortune of living in a more peaceful environment tend to view most people as basically good and decent, or simply benign.

Once again though, we are taking specifically, not generally. Specifically, the OP’s event happened in Canada, in the middle of a very wealthy area, surrounded by wealthy houses and boats. It is also a place well known as a party area, with lots of immature idiots out having summer fun.

Of course there is crime here. It’s certainly possible this person was boarding to steal something. But like I say, unless the OP was displaying something especially “shiny,” the odds of an actual thief picking this boat, in this way, over the abundant wealth all around, seems very unlikely to me.

Far more likely was that this kid was goofing around, thought he could get away with a silly prank, and now has a good story about how he scared the crap out of some old man. In fact, he’s probably telling it right now to his online friends .
Old 26-07-2018, 07:28   #65
cruiser

Mike,

I agree with you 100%
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 07:41   #66

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I am gun advocate. I have been a hunter and sport shooter(trap/skeet) for the majority of my life. We always carry a gun aboard. However, I am seriously disturbed by the recent trend where a gun is carried daily in the US like a wallet or purse by many people who have had no previous experience with firearms other than a "Right To Carry" course. And, the reason is that a gun should be a last resort to protect human life . . . not for threats, bravado, or an ego boost. Recently, in Florida, a 50-year-old man was pushed to the ground by a young, fit 28-year-old male over a parking dispute. While on the ground, he shot and killed his assailant. Was his life in imminent danger? We'll never know. In the above case, I would have been equally alarmed but would have asked the "intruder" --"What the F--k are you doing?" I would have given him the benefit of the doubt since, as others have suggested, he might just have been a stupid, testosterone crippled male in a high stage of inebriation that possibly needed help(anyone else been there in their lives?). And, if I didn't like his answer and he wasn't in danger of drowning, he would have been aggressively prodded with the boat hook until he was off my boat. I believe I have the right to protect my life and the lives of my loved ones but a gun is usually not the answer. Too many weak ego males/females carrying guns in the US today. Even Walter Mitty can be a tough guy. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 26-07-2018, 07:41   #67

Boat: Catalina 320

I used to be able to leave my truck with the key in ignition and windows open anywhere in the world and when I returned both the truck and my Dalmatian would still be there. When he growled people backed up.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 08:42   #68

I see nothing wrong in the OP's response. No harm was done and the guy swam away. Who cares why this idiot tried to board someone else's boat? Maybe he is thinking "Wow that boat owner sure was a jerk!" So what? He should expect violence to his person if he boards a stranger's boat, which is very much like a home invasion.

I think it's a shame that there wasn't even more fear instilled in the swimmer, to prevent future 2am boardings.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:09   #69

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Oh, the above post is how to not get shot by someone standing their ground in a Stand Your Ground State.

If it’s a bad guy with a gun and he wants to shoot you and maybe take your stuff your out of luck.

Although, I guess you could stand YOUR ground and cap his a**.
Ah the value of being a documented boat with a mortgage. SMILE
Let them fight over it.
Old 26-07-2018, 09:20   #70

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

No gun, willing to give tours to people on the dock.
Late one night, I was sound asleep in the stateroom. During the night, I was broken into, my wallet, with money and charge cards, driver's license etc.
I bought a 12ga pump, went to the office and told, no more tours, tell folks; "There's a crazy old man with a 12ga shotgun, living on the boat. If he catches you on the boat, you are not leaving via the dock. You will leave via the water." Never again, bothered. End of story.
Old 26-07-2018, 09:45   #71

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I guess our differing reactions are based on our experience with others. Those who’s life experience is one of violence and mistrust will naturally react with the same. Those of us who have had the fortune of living in a more peaceful environment tend to view most people as basically good and decent, or simply benign.

Once again though, we are taking specifically, not generally. Specifically, the OP’s event happened in Canada, in the middle of a very wealthy area, surrounded by wealthy houses and boats. It is also a place well known as a party area, with lots of immature idiots out having summer fun.

Of course there is crime here. It’s certainly possible this person was boarding to steal something. But like I say, unless the OP was displaying something especially “shiny,” the odds of an actual thief picking this boat, in this way, over the abundant wealth all around, seems very unlikely to me.

Far more likely was that this kid was goofing around, thought he could get away with a silly prank, and now has a good story about how he scared the crap out of some old man. In fact, he’s probably telling it right now to his online friends .
So, what is your estimate of the percentage of uninvited people boarding anchored boats at 2am that are 'good and decent' and 'simply benign' vs. nefarious? 50%? 90%
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:58   #72

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
So, what is your estimate of the percentage of uninvited people boarding anchored boats at 2am that are 'good and decent' and 'simply benign' vs. nefarious? 50%? 90%
Perhaps I’m not making myself clear … in this location, at this time, in these circumstances: 90% (or higher) benign.

Location does matter. Perhaps if it happened in SW Florida the appropriate response is to threaten gun violence. I don’t know … I don’t live there. And if that is the appropriate response, I certainly wouldn’t want to live there.

I do know the area the OP is talking about. I have spent many weeks anchored likely in the same spot. As I keep saying, it is very unlikely this kid was even contemplating theft, let alone violence.

I don’t know what my response would have been in the same circumstances, and I’m not faulting the OP for his choice. I may have done the same thing; adrenaline and grogginess do not lend themselves to rational responses. But this is sober second thought time. In the cold light of day the facts suggest this was an idiot out for prank.
Old 26-07-2018, 10:19   #73

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Mike, stop being rational.
Don't you know its all about the good guys vs the bad guys. Obviously, you didn't watch enough John Wayne movies.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:13   #74
cruiser

Mike,

How’s the weather up in Newfoundland? It’s awful here in Maine.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:17   #75

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
I figured out how not to get shot.
I've managed to not be shot but there was always more luck than skill involved. It was never personal, never knew who exactly was trying to shoot me so it couldn't have been anything I said.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote