Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 05:09   #76

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK
Re: Killing mold for good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadidoc View Post
SHOCKWAVE by Fiberlock
Yes shockwave is effective, but as I stated in my previous post, you will either be wearing PPE or not. With shockwave you should certainly be wearing PPE. Here's a link to read and consider.
https://www.fiberlock.com/wp-content...8310CA-SDS.pdf
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 17:59   #77

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Ok. We had a warm day today and I got into the boat. Mold was present on most wood surfaces in the main cabin.

Last year I finally had a chance to replace my windows and sealed up the old leaks. That problem is solved, I believe. Next I have to re-drill the screw holes for my main hatch and fill them with high density epoxy and then tap them to prevent any water from getting in.

I used Mold Control on all surfaces and then washed them with the mixture of Borax, Washing Soda and Zep. Bought a bunch of computer fans and will be working on setting them up to run off a 12V battery with solar panels keeping it charged up.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 20:03   #78

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

My mold disappeared with just ventilation (& no pools of water in the bilge). I installed a 6" x 12" screened louvered vent in the top companionway drop board and raised the FWD hatch about 1/2" above fully closed. That was it!
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 06:59   #79

I’m worried about leaving hatches open. I left my pop up trailer partially open and mice got in and chewed up my canvas and screens. Around here we have paper wasps and wood bees. You really can’t leave anything open for long or you will have a nest of unwanted visitors
Old 04-03-2020, 07:04   #80

Good News. I got to the boat yesterday after nearly a week and all surfaces that were washed by the anti-mold formula were clear of all mold. Another surface that I missed still had mold.

The real test is that the weather is now turning warmer and ideal for mold growth.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:08   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disailor View Post
My mold disappeared with just ventilation (& no pools of water in the bilge). I installed a 6" x 12" screened louvered vent in the top companionway drop board and raised the FWD hatch about 1/2" above fully closed. That was it!
The surface mold may have died, but the cracks and pores of all surfaces will still contain millions of mold spores ready to bloom when the conditions support them
Old 05-03-2020, 14:38   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Use 1/2 part of water, 1/4 bleach and 1/4 of a goog quality detegent to rinse everything , even wood. That mix will not only clean , but also kill mold
Bleach and detregent dish soap will kill you possibly
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 14:46   #83

It is astonishing how you can mix lethal concoctions with over-the-counter stuff, really.
I used a mix of lemon juice with teatree drops plus some lavender (for the smell). Haven't seen mold again, but then I also seriously started venting... Since I heat electric I shudder what my bill is going to be
Richard7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:03   #84

Ok, here is a before and after shot. The mold is easy to see on the wood surface.

I washed the surface with a mixture of borax, washing soda and concorbian. So far, it has worked great on the other surfaces that I washed. No further mold has appeared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mold-01.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	210188   Click image for larger version

Name:	mold-02.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	210189  

Old 07-03-2020, 07:04   #85

The boat smells much better too!
Old 07-03-2020, 11:10   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Now take the Concorbian and after taking everything out of each locker etc, soak everything . Like has been said there are mold spores in every single crack and crevice just waiting to spread. If you can gut the boat of everything rent a fogger and fog the boat with Concorbian. That is supposedly the best thing to do.
We didn’t, we took sections at a time and cleaned everything out, soaked it down and repacked, then moved to the next section, now while ours was nowhere near as bad as yours, we have had zero mold reoccur since doing this and it’s been a few years.
By now surely we are susceptible to mold again, cause nothing last forever, but we haven’t gotten back into that for us then it was cold wet pattern.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 19:55   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Now take the Concorbian and after taking everything out of each locker etc, soak everything . Like has been said there are mold spores in every single crack and crevice just waiting to spread. If you can gut the boat of everything rent a fogger and fog the boat with Concorbian. That is supposedly the best thing to do.
We didn’t, we took sections at a time and cleaned everything out, soaked it down and repacked, then moved to the next section, now while ours was nowhere near as bad as yours, we have had zero mold reoccur since doing this and it’s been a few years.
By now surely we are susceptible to mold again, cause nothing last forever, but we haven’t gotten back into that for us then it was cold wet pattern.
Yes, mold can come back any time. But my boat was leaking from multiple places so that the mold had a constant supply of moisture over many years. The leaks should be stopped soon. And, then once the surface mold is killed and I can get into the lockers and kill the hidden mold in the nooks and crannies, ventilation and drying out the boat over time will go a long way.

When we are plugged into the pier I will have a dehumidifier going and on cold days a heater to dry out the interior.
Old 22-03-2020, 09:34   #88

So far, so good. All surfaces washed by my concoction are still free from mold. Interestingly, areas right on the edge of where the mold was there is still some slight traces of mold. But, the mold did not advance into any area that was previously washed.

It looks like this is the solution for the solution. I'm hoping the mold is finely licked (not literally).
Old 07-04-2020, 11:15   #89

Boat: Trlåren 31

I suspect with all the boats sitting idle this spring, there will probably be a good deal of independent testing of many of the recommendations in this thread.

I'm pretty certain I'll be one of those "testers."

I'm going to give Thinwater's recommendations a trial. I appreciate being able to read all the experience (and even the conjecture) in one location on a variety of subjects. Threads like this make this site a good resource for answering questions, solving problems and avoiding others' misfortunes.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 21:12   #90

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
First, what cleaner do you recommend using to get rid of the mold that doesn't present other problems or health risks?

Second, is there a product I can use to treat the surfaces to keep it from coming back?
I'd recommend Shout, laundry stain remover. Works a treat.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, mold