Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2022, 11:13   #16

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Knives

Of the times I've needed a tool it's rarely been the cutting edge. Either pliers or a shackle key to open a shackle, pliers to work with seizing wire, screwdrivers for unscrewing or opening things, marlinspike to pry at a knot.

I like a knife for the "we're out of time and if that line can't be freed, it'll be cut" cases, which also means I don't like a folding knife that can't be easily opened with one hand.

That means I mostly tend to carry a Leatherman (currently a Surge, but somewhere there's a Wave floating about). I have one or two folders with a spike, which I either put in a spare pocket or leave in my bag.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 12:01   #17

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

A knife is a tool, and there are different types of knives for different purposes.

Rigging knives with a flat, non-serrated blade are great for working with running rigging and cutting lines with clean cuts when prepping for whipping ends, and usually have a small marlinspike and a shackle key.

Serrated knives are emergency/rescue knives and are more useful in an emergency situation because they are more efficient at cutting away rope, webbing, or thick fabric.

I'll second the recommendation for a Myerchin knife. And I'll also recommend a folding knife over a fixed blade. (Only puddle pirates wear a fixed blade knife on their belt to impress the armchair sailors at the yacht club.)
Old 17-09-2022, 12:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
...I like a knife for the "we're out of time and if that line can't be freed, it'll be cut" cases, which also means I don't like a folding knife that can't be easily opened with one hand.
I love multitools and there's always at least one around somewhere on the boat, but I've also put nylon pouches on both our inflatable PFDs, containing a sturdy SHARP marine folding knife (eg a Wichard) so that we each have one at all times, in case of such emergencies.
Old 17-09-2022, 12:36   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I have never carried a knife on my person but we always have a "rigging knife" in a convenient place on our boat (in a sheath just inside the dodger, right in the cockpit and three steps from the foredeck). Over the years many of our forward hands have also carried folding knives.

But in several decades of sailing and boating we have rarely, if ever, needed a knife in an emergency.

It's there if we need it, but not encumbering our movement in any way.

On my person it would definitely be handy if we ever needed it, but sort of in the way the other 365 days of the year.
Old 17-09-2022, 12:42   #20

Now I recall a time when the knife was needed and used:

Racing on port tack on a previous boat in fresh breeze approaching a wall of boats on starboard we had an override on the genoa winch. Ten seconds from a collision I said "cut it". That was a very clean cut and a very fast tack. We tied the sheet on to be ready for the next tack. On Wings, when we had wire sheets, that was never an option.
Old 17-09-2022, 13:29   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Off hand, I can't think of any time when I needed an emergency knife ... perhaps to cut the lemon wedges for the sundowners when someone had forgotten the galley blade.

I do use the blades on my leatherman, but I use the other tools far more. Perhaps it's a comment about my boat, but I'm constantly pulling out the leatherman to do jobs, both large and small. Recently I passed by the bimini and noticed one of the legs was a little lose. The set-screw had backed off. So I pulled out the allen key socket and tightened it up.

I just used the pliers to remove the cotter pin on my boom so we could take it down. Yesterday I used the flathead driver to remove the bolts on my windmill. I was also up the mast and used it to loosen some shackles. It just goes on and on.

Sure, there are 'proper' tools to do all these tasks. But it's all on my belt, and within easy reach.
Old 17-09-2022, 14:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Off hand, I can't think of any time when I needed an emergency knife ... perhaps to cut the lemon wedges for the sundowners when someone had forgotten the galley blade.

I do use the blades on my leatherman, but I use the other tools far more. Perhaps it's a comment about my boat, but I'm constantly pulling out the leatherman to do jobs, both large and small. Recently I passed by the bimini and noticed one of the legs was a little lose. The set-screw had backed off. So I pulled out the allen key socket and tightened it up.

I just used the pliers to remove the cotter pin on my boom so we could take it down. Yesterday I used the flathead driver to remove the bolts on my windmill. I was also up the mast and used it to loosen some shackles. It just goes on and on.

Sure, there are 'proper' tools to do all these tasks. But it's all on my belt, and within easy reach.
Actually, when I think about it that way, having those tools handy on deck would be nice. It seems like I'm always needing some tool or the other and having to go downstairs to fetch it is a pain. "Honey, could you get me the small Phillips head screw driver? No I don't know where it is. Oh dang it, I'll come find it myself."

So knife is not just for cutting.

For many years we have raced and have had lots of crew members leave things aboard. Hats, shirts, sunglasses, sun screen, etc., and pocket knives. We toss everything in a "lost and found" bag but often it is never retrieved. I still have three Leatherman tools and about 5 Swiss Army Knives. Maybe I need one on deck.
Old 17-09-2022, 16:57   #23

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

We rehash this annually. El Searcho is your friend.
Old 17-09-2022, 17:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
We rehash this annually. El Searcho is your friend.

Party pooper [emoji6].
Old 17-09-2022, 20:13   #25

I think I'm quoting Darrell Nicholson here but I can't find the original article:

"When your nuts are getting pulled into the mainsheet block, that's not the time to be fiddling with trying to open your folding knife."
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 21:34   #26

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Myerchin Fixed blade in the middle of my back so I can reach it with either hand, it has a marlin spike on the sheath to open shackles if needed.

Leather man wave at the helm.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 00:38   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

A sharp fixed blade knife somewhere in your cockpit is an essential. I have only used mine once (in an emergency) but was damn glad it was there. Hopefully I never use it again, but would never sail without one.
Macdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 00:41   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

For completeness, mine is a Wichard 20cm fixed blade. It is fine, but I am sure there are better.
Macdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 03:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
I think I'm quoting Darrell Nicholson here but I can't find the original article:

"When your nuts are getting pulled into the mainsheet block, that's not the time to be fiddling with trying to open your folding knife."

That’s why mine operates with one hand, just like any fixed blade knife.
Old 18-09-2022, 06:15   #30

Boat: formosa 41 ketch, aft cockpit

At sea I always carry a deck knife but in Australia it is illegal to carry a knife at other times without a reason. When I walk my dogs at night I take a fishing rod and usually catch dinner for the next day so a bait or filleting knife is acceptable. If I carry a multi tool I usually carry an apple and the knife is for cutting my fruit!
formosa aus is offline   Reply With Quote