Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2021, 14:26   #136

Boat: Cape Dory 30c
Re: Life rafts on small bluewater boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Because-

1. it is 8' and tiny, really small for one person to lay down, no less two, and no way will fit three.

2. it is not self righting

3. it doesn't have room for the supplies needed to survive at sea for weeks until rescued.

4. Even with a drogue it will be easily flipped in heavy seas, and while it can be easily righted, getting that wet and being that vulnerable to capsizing is highly uncomfortable at best and dangerous at most. (we have immersion suits and would not consider the PP a workable life boat with them)

In an emergency it is a fine life boat when rescue is a day to two away, but weeks? That's what a life raft is for and to be safe and effective you want the right tool for the job.
I agree overall but am interested in how you were able to find the data to conclude your points 1 thru 4. I have been trying to get that data and due to the limited amount of times the PP has actually been in life saving situations and the nominal amount of independent testing the boat has received I have been unable to substantiate your concerns.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 15:19   #137

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Mae View Post
I agree overall but am interested in how you were able to find the data to conclude your points 1 thru 4. I have been trying to get that data and due to the limited amount of times the PP has actually been in life saving situations and the nominal amount of independent testing the boat has received I have been unable to substantiate your concerns.
Data? We don't need no stinkin data!

I appreciate your desire for real world data and on these forums I'm a big advocate for being clear about when we state opinions vs, facts, so I'll play-

Self righting- I haven't capsized my PP to test this so in truth it's an opinion, but it wouldn't be hard to test.

Small- it is 8' long and my wife and I have tested it's use as a life boat by rigging up the life boat kit and getting inside and laying down. We can do it, but it is very cramped with not much room for "stuff," so this is a tested "fact."

Easily flipped in heavy seas- this is my opinion and I don't want to test my PP in 15-30 seas. I've been in those kinds of seas and seen what they can do to small craft. I have navigated my PP in 5' waves/35 knot winds and it did very well.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 16:52   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Data? We don't need no stinkin data!

I appreciate your desire for real world data and on these forums I'm a big advocate for being clear about when we state opinions vs, facts, so I'll play-

Self righting- I haven't capsized my PP to test this so in truth it's an opinion, but it wouldn't be hard to test.

Small- it is 8' long and my wife and I have tested it's use as a life boat by rigging up the life boat kit and getting inside and laying down. We can do it, but it is very cramped with not much room for "stuff," so this is a tested "fact."

Easily flipped in heavy seas- this is my opinion and I don't want to test my PP in 15-30 seas. I've been in those kinds of seas and seen what they can do to small craft. I have navigated my PP in 5' waves/35 knot winds and it did very well.
I am not sure why you refer to my desire for empirical data as 'stinking' or your engagement of my questions as 'play'. It seems we understand data and effective dialogue differently. FYI your test of the size of the PP inside and when laying down is considered research and data acquisition. There is a divergence of opinion regarding the ease with which the PP is flipped in heavy seas. Zack D. Smith of Fiorentino Para-Anchor did test the PP in heavy seas and found it stable. see
and earlier post #131. FW&FS
Old 23-11-2021, 22:49   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I remain shocked at the price of a liferaft in the US, perhaps Canada too.

This is the later model of ours, it was worth the investment to have an alternative that I hope never to have to use.

https://www.seagoyachting.co.uk/products/cruiser/

Thanks, as you say "its all compromises". If we had 40ft we might choose a different approach, but I am loath to give up our creek crawling ability to use quaint old harbours and drying locations. With tens of thousands of miles of superb cruising on our door step we aren't going to cross oceans, more over night type of passages are all that's needed.

Pete
Not to fan the fire too much...
You can also buy the next model up which is the SOLAS version, is that the one you mean for offshore?
Or direct from China Brave soul who will go that route though! Maybe pack 2?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...65fb2253quwj8k
Startracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:43   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startracker View Post
Not to fan the fire too much...
You can also buy the next model up which is the SOLAS version, is that the one you mean for offshore?
Or direct from China Brave soul who will go that route though! Maybe pack 2?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...65fb2253quwj8k
Think I will go Portland Pudgy.

Tags
Bluewater, boat, water