Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2021, 09:41   #91

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Life rafts on small bluewater boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Oh I can see that being a real problem in some forgotten back water. I might be tempted a DIY in that situation, or insist on being present for the inspection. Actually not a bad idea. I spent an afternoon in a blacked out swimming pool in an identical raft to ours, as part of a RYA survival course.

Pete
The last forgotten backwater we repacked in was New Zealand. It was about usd$1200 to repack if I remember correctly.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 17:14   #92

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I remain shocked at the price of a liferaft in the US, perhaps Canada too.

This is the later model of ours, it was worth the investment to have an alternative that I hope never to have to use.

https://www.seagoyachting.co.uk/products/cruiser/

Thanks Pete, I haven't heard of this one. At first blush it look very good, at a price that is much more reasonable. Can it be sourced in Canada?
Old 18-10-2021, 18:05   #93

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

I sail Martha Lei a 30 ft Cape Dory MKII
Installed my canister on deck, between the mast and the vberth hatch, fits well,
Installed with the factory mounting frame and hydrostatic release.
Planning to move it to my cockpit, working on details, nothing final yet.
When cruising on a Tartan 34 1978 had it sitting on top of the transom locker lid, firmly secured unfortunately do not have the room, the lid is slightly narrow, maybe will do it.
Posting this to clarify can be mounted on a "smaller" boat.
Otherwise, not interested on debate or arguing the point.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 18:08   #94

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
I sail Martha Lei a 30 ft Cape Dory MKII
Installed my canister on deck, between the mast and the vberth hatch, fits well,
Installed with the factory mounting frame and hydrostatic release.
Planning to move it to my cockpit, working on details, nothing final yet.
When cruising on a Tartan 34 1978 had it sitting on top of the transom locker lid, firmly secured unfortunately do not have the room, the lid is slightly narrow, maybe will do it.
Posting this to clarify can be mounted on a "smaller" boat.
Otherwise, not interested on debate or arguing the point.
Thanks and understood.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 05:30   #95

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

PM sent
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 05:38   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
My long range sensors are detecting some EPIRB confusion.

The pulse 406MHz component of the Tx ensemble is to uplink data to satellites.
There is still a continuous 121.5MHz component that is used for "local" detect and DF techniques by civilian aircraft. This guard freq. is typically monitored by oceanic crossing flights. It has no ID or other data content.
And, typically the 2nd harmonic (243MHz) for military COM band.
I believe your info is incorrect. the 121.5 and 243 are both deactivated in reference to the units and will not provide any response. For correct factual information may I refer everyone to https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtEpirb
Not many of the old types exist but if you have one it is simply a paperweight.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 07:11   #97

Boat: Lagoon 380

Boat driver: read your own link, under the 406 header.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 07:34   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Boat driver: read your own link, under the 406 header.
yes, I wrote the link.
I wanted to address the source for factual information and simply clarify with no question that if you have one of the older units (why they still exist is another topic) the 121.5 and 243 are NOT monitored and no one will come unless it is verified twice and further it provides NO location, so again, the old prayer- ""the ocean is so big and my boat is so small".
The discussion may clarify what you were saying, most important anyone desiring to check the facts- but most important- the use of 121.5 as a notification is discontinued and so are those units.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 07:48   #99

Boat: Lagoon 380

I think more accurately: the use of ONLY the VHF freqs is now obsolete. But they still have a function WITH the UHF frequency.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 07:07   #100

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft

Consider how durable your life raft is. The lightweight ones are designed to be, well, lightweight. They were originally designed for aircraft, etc. You can literally tear them apart with your bare hands. A RIB is as durable as a white water raft. You can beat on them, bounce them off rocks, etc. all day long with little concern. In addition, a RIB is tested every time you use it. You’re constantly inspecting it. Add a spray hood, a ditch bag or two, and you’re set. If you’re concerned about flipping in heavy seas, trail a small drogue. Do make sure you can launch it with minimal effort, and practice.
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 07:27   #101

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Echo Rucksta and others. “Stepping up into the LR” is a dangerous myth. Getting in with a long tether well ahead of final sinking is the best plan. I like Rucksta’s idea of doing the same with the dink. I have used a good sized dink, partially inflated on the foredeck, for coastal deliveries for years.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 08:27   #102

I sailed to Australia from Buffalo,NY and most of it solo. Reading about disasters deploying life rafts and sailing a 37' cutter, I spent my money on a Yacht Saver package that would inflate the entire inside of the yacht. This would allow me to stay with the craft as it would float and allow me the possibility of using supplies already onboard. It would be easier to be sited on a yacht than in a small life raft. Just my opinion but worth checking out.
If purchasing a new craft, I was told they could install the system like airbags in an auto.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 08:39   #103

Boat: Jeanneau 469

Interesting and important thread ... I hope to sail soon in blue waters, after a great coastal experience, but in complex seas.
Although we will sail 3 crew members in very long stretches and on a 47 feet, I decided that the Life Raft that has the sailboat for 8 people, would be enabled as PACK A, the life jackets, the EPIRB, the SART and the portable VHF being instantly available
We have all seen that in the oceans there are all kinds of semi-submerged elements, so the option of having a crash without warning is present and it is not enough that "the world knows where I am"
Ekeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 08:43   #104

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I have an expired 6-man Avon life raft. Getting it inspected, given that Avon no longer makes life rafts is impossible and/or economically not viable. I have an RIB I carry on deck. My preferred approach would be to exit the boat with both the RIB and the life raft, but conditions might prevent that, especially if the sinking were sudden, caused by collision, for example. I am conflicted about whether to get a new life raft and spend the $3-5000. I have been in rain in weather gear">foul weather gear for 16 hours, and I am convinced of the need for a survival suit to prevent hypothermia. I guess the cost of the new raft is like fire insurance for the house (fire being one of the main reason sailors end up in life rafts). I have read enough books about disaster at sea to know that if the seas are the least bit rough, the RIB could be repeatedly flipped by waves, meaning at least, a lot of energy expended getting back into the RIB and possible loss of gear and acceleration of hypothermia, even with immersion suit.

I hate spending thousands of $ for a piece of gear (life raft) I'll likely never use, but I'll probably do it for the same reason I have home insurance.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:13   #105

Actually, the life-raft is more useful in calm and moderate weather weather when the boat is burning down. In storms it's often better to stay with the boat until you need to step up into the life-raft.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, water