Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 11:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: List of Safety Requirements - US sailing vessel

In the header Marc states "US sailing vessel" but no where in this string so far do I find the magic words "US documented." Foreign individuals or companies, corporations, LCCs, etc. (profit or non-profit) can't own or control a US documented vessels. Does this vessel have an IMO Number? Still a lot of questions to be answered before an accurate assessment can be given.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:29   #17

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcLeQuebecois View Post
Hello,
Yes, that would be a privately owned vessel . It is actually not owne by a private person, but rather by an environmental organization. But what is clear anyway is the fact that yes it is registered as a private vessel, no commercial activity of any kind.
best regards,
Marc
Since the boat is owned by an environmental organization what kind of activities will it be engaged in? Will there be any paid crew? Will it be called an educational program? What are you telling the insurance company about your activities? What are people expecting when they get on board? The answers to these kinds of questions will begin to tell you what equipment you will need.

A good place to start is the Code of Federal Regulations Title 46

Another place to look is Tall Ships America

The USCG District Office for the region the boat is in will have an office dedicated to addressing these kinds of concerns.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:07   #18

Boat: 1939 Richardson Cruisabout 33

Working on the great lakes on Research Vessels this year, we were subjected to our own rigorous inspections. The boat sizes ranged from 20-80 foot.
What I have found is that Insurance companies tend to spell out more detail and more equipment than the USCG. In the case of NOAA, whom I am a contract worker for, they are Federal Government and mind and insure their own vessels.
If you are bringing on Representatives, Students, Scientists, Media, etc. from many different organizations (which is normal for research work), you will pretty much have to treat the vessel the same as a chartered vessel. There might be some differences, but by the time your insurance company is satisfied, you will likely have all the same equipment.
Another note: the nature of the research work could make a big difference in what is inspected. For example if you are using a crane to lift heavy instruments, there is stability testing they might subject you to.
Kentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:02   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

You will need to equip the vessel per 46CFR; I'm assuming it's a 'research vessel' and not carrying passengers for hire but over 20m everything changes. Think inspected vessel requirements (type 1 pfd, inspected radio, etc). If you can't find direct help send me a PM and I'll refer you to the right person at the USCG... I'm amazed you weren't referred to them to begin with...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 14:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcLeQuebecois View Post
Good day all,
I really struggle to find a list of the safety requirements for a US registered sailing vessel...
It is for a pleasure craft of 24 meters or so. I assure you... not mine
I can't find it anywhere, only for smaller crafts on some US Coast Guard website, and they did not have an answer for me...

Who manages that ?
There must be a list of requirements to fill before you can register the boat, right ?
Like how many fire extinguishers, how long the rescue line, documents to have on board, etc, etc..
Who is managing that ? ....

Many thx for your help !
Marc
USCG Navigation and Regulations handbook, easily available anywhere that handles charts in the US.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:12   #21

Boat: Mariner36

Download the USCG App, you can enter your vessel info, and get both required and recommend safety equipment. It has a lot of other very helpful things as well, like buoy info it's very user friendly. Just go to play store and enter USCG. Best of all is free.
bkrizmanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, safety, sail, sailing