Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 12:28   #31

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Location of Jacklines

I use padeyes and jacklines depending on what's going on.
If running downwind or going to be on a tack for a long time, I rig a jackline from main ti mizzen and just clip on and can move over most og the boat. Have a spare tether at the main that's 12' for going on the foredeck.

If tacking a lot have a few padeyes and fittings on the genoa track.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 16:01   #32
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

pad eyes in the cockpit. aft, middle, and forward parts.
additional pad eyes just outside cabin entrance - here I clip web jacklnes going forward to bow. Some people have pad eyes on cabin top as far forward as possible and fasten jacklines that far only going forward.

Two tethers. always. actually i have 4 but always stay connecedt to two at a time. two in cockpit area; one on starboard / one on port ready to go. clip and unclip one at a time, but always 2. Have one additional longer one when I am in cabin (yup) but hardly ever used it.

But, to tell you the truth, I am more fearful of other mistakes when I get tired - like hitting my head on the boom.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 22:22   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
We are re-riggin the Ranger 23 and came across what I think is a brilliant idea... a jack line AROUND the mast. Lines come off it to clip to the harness and you can move around the deck in either direction and to the bow on one line. On a larger boat you would need other clip ins as well, but this solves the issue I have with jack lines running the length of the deck. They seem to be such a possible tripping hazard.
Good idea Sara. I see a stretched out () with attachments just forward of the dodger and aft of the front deck. A smaller extender with webbing would be used from either side to grab the jackline from the cockpit and snap into it.

Like this perhaps: '()'

Yeah, that sounds like a good system.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 16:22   #34

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
I would be pleases to have comments on this proposal:
I have a 66' cutter with a small aft working cockpit and a larger centre cockpit - both very secure. I will have a boom gallows
arrangement with mainsheet track on top.

I think it might be a practical arrangement to have port and starboard overhead jacklines rigged from the two posts of the boom gallows forward to centre foredeck - like a V. Should clear all working lines except boom preventers. Could reach UP to clip on from both cockpits. One problem is the continuous line which theoretically could see one swept full length of the boat!
Would this work?
Anyone seen it done?
Any ideas for a limited slip device which would grip the line under full pressure but slide with eased pull?
Depending on deck layout and rig this might be OK on some boats I think.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 16:31   #35

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
An arrangement which could be useful on some boats is to rig a continuous track like a traveller track along the sheer/caprail/deck inboard of stanchions so that you could clip on a tether to a car and run the full length of the track. I have seen this rigged on a couple of pilot boats used by pilots in heavy going - but they had solid rails instead of stanchions.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 17:01   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I have tubular nylon webbing down both sides of the house.... Yep I can go overboard (I have) but I also have no problem hauling my butt back aboard (BTDT, have the scars). IMHO, the ease of use with dual jacklines, outweighs the inconvenience of going over the rail... As long as still connected to the boat, I'll get back in.
Old 01-07-2011, 18:07   #37

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

I hate thread drift but in this case I think a discussion on the fittings on the teather is appropriate. My original homemade teather had simple one handed snaps, I wore it constantly but was warned by others that those snaps were not adequate. My new store bought teather has the most God awful two handed snaps and is a PITA. What works for others on whatever jackline arrangement you have? Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Location of tether anchoring points...

I'm not planning on using jacklines, rather my plan is to use "U" bolts into my steel deck with nylon rope to double acting safety safety hooks. I'll change the rope length to suit each situation. I might even use ropes secured to the "U" bolts with shackles on offshore passages.

Problem is, its hard to work out exactly where the "U" bolts should go. Its not like every time I go out there's a wave that tips the boat on its side.

I've got as far as deciding to locate a "U" bolt either side of the cabin back, and one in the middle of the back of the cockpit.

I'm inclining towards fitting a series of "U" bolt pairs to the cabin top as far inboard as practicable though I'd be interested to hear if anyone can argue for a jackline in this situation. Forward of the cabin top front I'm considering single "U" bolts on the centreline.

From what I can work out I should be able to keep the tether short enough to keep me on the boat.

I'm not totally closed to jacklines however at the moment I feel that fixed single points offer greater security. Jacklines would seem to be better suited to smaller boats, racers and those with sharp crew.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:48   #39

Boat: Swan 56

I run mine diagonally from the toe rail adjacent to the cockpit to the bow cleat on the opposite side (inside the rigging). This allows me to go anywhere on the boat and remain clipped on. Works for me, but may not be suitable for all boats.

I used to do the bow on offshore raceboats and the experience reinforced my opinion that the system chosen should allow you to get to anywhere without unclipping. It can be bad enough up there at times, without having to keep clipping onto new lines to get anywhere.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:14   #40

Boat: Bollard Steel 40ft - Lady Kara
Has anyone thought of using a hand rail along the top of the cabin as a jack line. That way if you get knocked off your feet you only go as far as the next support.
Coachbolt
Coachbolt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:50   #41

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

If I build a hard dodger, I'll run a jackline from the aft center of the dodger to the mast, or a fitting closer to the bow. That should give a connection from the cockpit to the foredeck. Meanwhile, I have the dodger problem. I suppose one could make a rollbar type thing that the soft dodger could go under (or over, if there were a slit in it for an eye for the jackline).
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:57   #42

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

Several comments have refered to the difficulty reboarding and a problem unique to multihulls is going off the bow and getting trapped under the bridgedeck of a cat or wing deck of a tri. I also run a jackline under the wing so that I could clip to the underwing and release the topside line if in the water. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:54   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Several comments have refered to the difficulty reboarding and a problem unique to multihulls is going off the bow and getting trapped under the bridgedeck of a cat or wing deck of a tri. I also run a jackline under the wing so that I could clip to the underwing and release the topside line if in the water. Dave
See... yet another reason that multi hulls are dangerous!!!

A good point you've made there, Dave, and one that I haven't seen raised before. Well done.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-07-2011, 07:10   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

saw a boat in a marina next tome not too long ago with jacklines down each side-- seems the way to die in a sea-- would drag the person falling overboard in the water--- seems centerline jacklines would be a smarter way to go . i can place between masts easily as i donot use my main in big winds and seas...i use jib n jigger.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:27   #45

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

If/when using jacklines and tethers remember that the primary goal is to keep a person on board the boat. The need to go forward while underway is the result of an equiptment failure during adverse conditions.

Always have the tether short enough to keep you inside of the toeraIils. This may envolve doubleing the tether and crawling forward. ALWAYS go forward on the highside and cross the deck at the spot of the trouble. ALWAYS have two tethers so that you can clip the second tether on before releasing the first.

There has been way to meany accounts of persons drowning while being tethered to the boat and unable to get back on the boat even with the help of crew.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jacklines