Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2024, 11:37   #16

Re: Looking for solo mast climbing advice

I too have fixed steps and don a 5 point harness with a built in seat, and affix a rope grap.with a safety shackle to the chest ring. The main hatyard is fastened tight to the mast base and I close the rope grab over the halyard and start climbing...the carabiner only grabs when going down quickly..as in a fall, so no tying on and off going up or down.
If working at the top for a while I wrap a short lanyard around it a few times and shackle both ends to my chest, just in case, also given me something to put my weight on.

Stay safe
John
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 12:30   #17

Boat: Custom William Hand Ketch 36

Hi here is what I do

That rock climber technique is good but requires a lot of strength and rock climbers can use their feet in a different way which you cannot except to wrap your legs around the mast to control swinging around .

I have a five part tackle and a canvas bosuns chair w hard seat and lots of pockets

I hoist the top block to top of mast w jib halyard ( I have no roller ) so use main halyard otherwise.

I belay the halyard to large anchor winch or other suitable attachment capable of at least 1,000 lbs

I can then hoist myself up w the 5 part tackle easily. I belay to a carabiner .or climbers figure 8 rapellling hardware . I have a cam lock on the lower block but never trust that unless two hands on the working part at all times. Or figure eight it to make a stopper knot .

Most importantly I also have my mob harness ( not an inflatable combo life jacket and harness) on with a line which slides up another halyard or stay w seriously wrapped rolling hitch. If the hoist breaks you are safe . Also this serves to control wild swinging as you become a pendulum .

This way you are never dependent on inexperienced crew members. Never have ten below you in case an untethered tool drops .

Make sure the loose line falling to the deck from the hoist cannot foul on an anchor or cleat etc thus interfering w your descent.
The secondary harness and rolling hitch ( and a knife) will get you out of that jam.

This all best done in a quiet anchorage but you never know !!
Elcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 13:13   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Don’t look down

Look down with every step. Your feet are what support you (the OP is using mast steps). Hands go around the mast, not on the steps (this keeps you closer to the mast, better in balance over your feet).
Old 14-06-2024, 13:40   #19

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

The Petzyl is gorgeous. Of course the knock off is way less, not elegant etc. But works.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWK6MJW1...roduct_details

I have jumars as well.

Mast steps. Folding. Had brand new ones on previous boat. Was standing on top 2 working. Went to go down and the next one snapped in 2. By myself, took a while to figure out how to get down past the missing step to the next one which of course is staggered. Cheap ass pot metal aluminum. Buyer beware.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 18:56   #20

Boat: Pogo 36

I agree the ATN system works well.
SVFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 20:54   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
The Petzyl is gorgeous. Of course the knock off is way less, not elegant etc. But works.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWK6MJW1...roduct_details

Exactly. There are many self-trailing grabs like this. The more expensive ones are lighter and have more features, but the basic industry models work and have for decades.

Do match it to the rope size.

Tags
Advice, mast