Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 19:05   #76

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Lower Back Muscle Spasms

Thanks Nautical and I wish you the best too. Let's hope we both can stay in the boating business for many more years..
kind regards,
Old 25-01-2012, 19:19   #77

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

I was where you are. Lots of treatments depending on diagnosis. I herniated my L5-S1 . Got an artificial that's doing pretty damn great considering. I remember those very thoughts you conveyed in your original post, ie will i ever walk right again, support myself, and for me play with my girls!
Btw had the surgery March '10 and on Dec 31st did a single handed 10hr trip to bring the new boat from the South river to the Sassafras. Was sore as Hell, but that felt good!
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 12:06   #78

[QUOTE=Btw had the surgery March '10 and on Dec 31st did a single handed 10hr trip to bring the new boat from the South river to the Sassafras. Was sore as Hell, but that felt good![/QUOTE]

Well done!
Old 26-01-2012, 13:25   #79
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I'm no doctor but I unlock a locked-up spine this way: 20 minute treatments with heat and vibration on a vibrating heating pad. Take an OTC pain killer, then the heat and jiggle. Repeated if needed. The muscle that cramped may remain sore for a while just from the trauma it suffered, so take it easy. These vibrating heating pads are available in 12-volt models.
Old 26-01-2012, 13:50   #80

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have used heat pads and cold pads and alternate 10 minutes on each 2 or 3 time. I do this a few times a day. It takes the swelling down.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 14:22   #81

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I have bad disk between L-5 / S-1 also. One of the worst things for it is using your legs to get our of bed in the mornings by kind of throwing your legs off the side of the bed to leverage yourself upright. I had always "popped" out of bed this way...until that morning. Never again. I am very careful getting up now.A great exercise is the Cobra position in yoga. I don't practice yoga but I do the Cobra thing anytime I feel tension in that part of my back. Good Luck.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27   #82

Just a short update for those who have been following this thread.

I've done one physical therapy session nearly a week ago and have another one scheduled for tomorrow. He found the offending part after twisting me here and there and having me do some contortions. It seems that between L4 and L5 starboard side there is some looseness that allows it to pop a little out of place. He has prescribed some exercises to strengthen the muscles to keep it stable and so far I've been doing pretty good and haven't had the extreme pain I was hit with initially. Just a little pain here and there to let me know what I shouldn't be doing. I also got the YMCA Back Video which illustrates some exercises designed to help. All in all I'm recovering. I am putting on my own socks, riding bike again, and even was up on the boat working on the cabin sole so am making progress. There are still some issues with reaching and lifting that I'm getting used to and my back lets me know if I over do it.

Thanks for all your support and I hope all of you folks who have had back trouble much worse than mine can make significant recovery to make your sailing enjoyable.

kind regards,
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46   #83

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I have problems with L4&5 and was taught to adjust it myself by : first tucking your chin down to your chest while yawning really really big this is simular to what you see a cat or lion yawn and streach, while you are yawning put a little pressure on both sides of your spine to center the veritbras. This little trick has helped especially after lifting heavy stuff or just that feeling your neck is out of alignment, it was taught to me by a great massage therapist.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27   #84

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Just a short update for those who have been following this thread.

kind regards,
Good to hear.
Old 07-02-2012, 18:38   #85

yeah man, good to hear. Anyone do an MRI yet btw?
Old 07-02-2012, 19:11   #86

Nope, no MRIs since what I've been doing seems to help significantly. If something else happens then MRI would be the next thing. A couple years ago I had 4 MRIs in about a year's time for other health reasons. Thankfully that has all been taken care of but they have been reluctant to do MRIs on me since then. Has something to do with too much radiation.
kind regards,
Old 07-02-2012, 19:19   #87

I ask because if you have a laminur tear the swelling will go down, sypmtoms will decrease, even go away, but they will be back.
The only way to tell is with an MRI.
Atleast youre in physical therepy and not trying the chiropractor route.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08   #88

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Nope, no MRIs since what I've been doing seems to help significantly. If something else happens then MRI would be the next thing. A couple years ago I had 4 MRIs in about a year's time for other health reasons. Thankfully that has all been taken care of but they have been reluctant to do MRIs on me since then. Has something to do with too much radiation.
kind regards,
MRIs do not produce any radiation. They work with magnets and radio signals

Magnetic Resonance Image
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56   #89

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
kind regards,
Maybe some sort of concern about the dye? A CT or CAT scan has a ton of radiation but not a MRI. I do know they like to let your body get rid of the dyes (gadolinium) that let them see things more clearly.

Glad to hear you are improving. Remember what you are doing for if there is a next time. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31   #90

Sorry. You are right. The last few were CAT scans. No dye involved.
I guess you can tell I'm not linguistically talented in the medical field.
Will keep the MRI idea in mind.
kind regards,