Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2012, 14:53   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: MEdical Insurance for Offshore cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.garlick View Post
Thanks Osiris, but we've checked out all those companies. They are American and they cost about 10 times more than the Pantaenius coverage.

We might choose to exclude coverage in the US (even though we intend to head there in about 4 years), just to reduce the cost of coverage.

It looks like the Pantaenius coverage was a good deal at E 1560. Now I'm curious why they refused us?
It takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of digging and comparing to find the proper level of insurance for your circumstances.

But as to the first paragraph where you state the different policies offered by IMIS and in particular I.M.G cost "10 times more" - I think you were looking at coverage "including North America (USA)" rather than "excluding" North America. My I.M.G coverage for "Gold" level medical cost my Russian wife $1500 per Year. This is less than the 1560Euro/year you mentioned in your latest post.

But again you have dig and determine what level and types of coverage fit your personal needs which is why there are so many different companies offering the insurance.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 15:07   #32

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick
Hi Osiris,

I tried finding your policy on the ims site. Couldn't locate it. Can you specify which policy it is?

Many thanks

Steve
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 15:20   #33
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Very true, but with a major caveat attached. In a lot of 3rd World countries, the level or sophistication of medical services available is considerably below what is available from 1st World countries.

It all depends upon how much "native" you wish to go when cruising the backwaters of the world. Even routine stuff like dermatological services for skin conditions the 1st World basic medical tools are simply non-existant.
Yep, that about sums it up...

My sister and her husband have been considering moving to western Panama and I recently kiboshed my mom's idea that she and my dad might consider going with them.

Mom and Dad are 70. Dad is at 70 one of the oldest living type one diabetes patients around. Been diabetic since he was eight, and has just had a triple bypass.

My point was to her that they couldn't afford the low cost of living...

Don't know if this link would be helpful, but it's something I ran aross while researching the dreaded Cruise (with a capital C) with the family;

http://medjetassist.com/

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 15:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.garlick View Post
Hi Osiris,
I tried finding your policy on the ims site. Couldn't locate it. Can you specify which policy it is?
Many thanks Steve
This link takes you to IMIS's medical insurance page:
https://producer.imglobal.com/intern...EEF523FEAB29FD

And then this link takes you to I.M.G.'s "Global Medical Insurance® Individual & family – Flexible long-term annually renewable plan"
and a pdf file of the plan information in which starting on page 3 you will find information about the "Gold" level plans. The "Gold" level are now split into 3 categories (see page 5) depending upon how long you will be needing the coverage.
http://producer.imglobal.com/Produce...ocumentId=1804

We do not carry I.M.G. anymore as we are permanently inside the USA from now until I die. There are better options for US citizens/LPR's who are remaining inside the USA than any "International" medical plan can provide.
Old 14-06-2012, 17:17   #35

Thanks Osirisail,

Yes, IMG does have some well-priced plans. Have you ever claimed from them? Can you comment on their service?

Thanks,

STeve
Old 14-06-2012, 18:17   #36

My wife is inherently healthy being of Siberian stock. Therefore we never had to utilize the insurance but we needed it to comply with the French Visa requirements that non-EU visitors show proof of medical insurance. And it was there "in case" we needed it.
Old 15-06-2012, 06:58   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
but we needed it to comply with the French Visa requirements that non-EU visitors show proof of medical insurance. And it was there "in case" we needed it.
That rule for the "non-actives" applies to all long term foreign residents EU or not.

Dave
Old 15-06-2012, 10:29   #38

Yes, but in our case it was for the French Out-Islands Visa. And we had to have the coverage for U.K. transit Visas.
Old 15-06-2012, 17:00   #39

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

So it looks like I will have to move back to Canada for 6 months after 2 years. I have a problem getting private insurance since I am a cancer survivor. Apparently it is cheaper if I had not survived :-(.

FUnny how I only recently figured that all these "insurers" are doing this not as a service but as a profit making exercise. Still the world we live in. Maybe I should just keep anough in the Bank for a plane ticket.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 04:35   #40

After all the good advice here, I thought I'd report back on the outcome. After a discussion with Allianz Worldwide Coverage, Pantaenius approved our health insurance. Allianz is the underwriter. This seems to be the best coverage, world wide (including US) for E1565 Euro each. Thats the best price we've found, no deductible, no co-insurance (but claims are limited to reasonable and customary fees). I think its a good deal. BUPA had good coverage, but the deductible was E1250 for E1900 premium, no US coverage.

The Pantaenius scheme was designed for sailors, and it does seem to fit the bill. Got my vote.
Old 19-06-2012, 08:26   #41

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

steve.garlick, after reading your post number 16 on this thread I wrote to Pantaenious on 16th June asking if they discriminated on the basis of nationality. As yet I have not received a reply.

It is good news that they did insure you in the end, obviously Allianz had some influence on their decision.

Thank you for posting the outcome of your endeavours.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 16:35   #42

Updating again!!

After being tossed around between Pantaenius and Allianz, finally we have again been refused. Apparently, Allianz is not licensed to sell health insurance to residents of Australia. My wife, who also has a British passport, can get cover, but I can't.

Looks like the only option will be the relatively more expensive cover with BUPA.

Dealing between these two companies has been very time consuming, with a lot of false leads.

regards,

Steve

Tags
cruising, insurance, medical, offshore