Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2023, 17:00   #1

Location: House in Evergreen, CO; boat in Bremerton, Washington
Boat: Morris 44 Ocean Series
MOB retrieval system: Catch & Lift

Has anyone seen or used this MOB rescue system? It resembles a lifesling and uses a drogue to pull the swimmer toward the boat.

https://youtu.be/QJRZNnqefco
Not a spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 17:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: MOB retrieval system: Catch & Lift

Interesting idea. Not wild about having the transmission spinning the prop with the MOB right next to it. I could easily see a problem if it were 3 to 5 foot seas and the boat upwind of the MOB. Also could see how it might be hard to control how fast you were going to plaster the MOB against the hull. Once you get the MOB in the sling it's usually not much work to get him to the side of the boat. Then lift the MOB using the Boom Vang or a handy billy or a halyard. You can do the same job easier and with better control without using the sea anchor. Just my $.02
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 18:45   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

IIRC saw a similar Italian version a while back. What happens if the victim is unable to get into the sling for some reason? What happens if one or both of the lines get tangled in the prop (even if you remember to put it in neutral) since you leave the wheel to deploy them? We have a lifesling to "lasso" the victim with. Then we have a triangular MOB tarp that we use to bring them aboard. Two corners of the tarp fasten to stanchion bases, and the third corner, with a line attached, is draped over the leeward side, where the victim is. The line (and that corner of the tarp) is taken outside of the victim, putting the victim in the bunt of the tarp. The line is then led to a winch on the windward side of the cockpit and pulled. This holds the victim firmly against the boat and lifts the victim up onto the deck . With the 2:1 lift of the parbuckle made by the tarp multiplied by the force of the winch, a 12 year-old could easily hoist a 300 pound man aboard.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 20:12   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I agree that the fly in the ointment here is the spinning prop. I'd also like to see this demonstrated while actually sailing.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 20:23   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

In addition to issues with the prop, is seems the MOB is going to be pulled to the boat and up out of the water with great force, without any way to stop or control it if something goes wrong. If the line twists or wraps funny around the MOB, or their neck, or if coming out of the water they catch on something. Maybe a wave hits the vessel and turns it, pulling the MOB over the transom or something.

It seems like there is a lot that can go wrong. When I am long distance sailing, I have a 4:1 tackle attached to a spare halyard, raised high, and secured to a rail. I originally rigged it to lift my dingy out of the water overnight, but it isn't in the way and I find it is useful to always have handy. It is how I would lift an MOB on board.

Tags
lift, mob