Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2016, 06:44   #16

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Re: MOB1 RescueMe - can't figure it out

It is the same manual - but it doesn't exactly resemble the device.

Emergency devices must have an obvious way to deploy them - reading the book after falling overboard just isn't suitable.

I had hoped this thread would have attracted many who owned the device - =but only one Hobie sailor and one with the device still in the box responded. To bad, it is a good idea that may save lives if implemented properly.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:43   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

I have the ResueMe. Took me a bit to figure out how to program it but it is simple to deploy (auto or manual). I tested it manually and it worked like a champ. Set off alarm on VHF and showed up as an AIS target on my chart plotter.

I only have two at this point so they are armed and ready to go on the two Deckvests used by the crewmembers on watch. In my opinion, this device gives us the best shot of a successful crew recovery offshore.

I'll take that unit off your hands if you give up.

My two cents

Mark
SV Irish Rover
mbuckely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:58   #18

Boat: Antares 44i

Spinlock sells its inflatable vests with the MOB1 already installed. If I were experiencing the same amount of difficulty, I would probably take the MOB1 kit and instructions into the nearest shop that sold and/or serviced a bunch of Spinlocks and ask if they could help me figure it out live.

Good luck. I'm going with MOB1, looks like the best, smallest, most practical, and the DSC alarm function is big for me, when we undertake multi-day passages as a couple.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:27   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Have you tried contacting thegpsstore ? They've been around for a long time and generally had good reviews. They might be willing to take the device back, or at least, turn up an answer for you.

Alternately, if it was purchased on a credit card, ask them to intercede. Tell them the goods don't match what the manufacturer shows on their web site, or in the manual, and you think you've got something that is not what you bought. (So to speak.)

I think the manual is poorly written, in that it fails to make clear whether a "test" is just a test of the light, or whether it is making a real TEST transmission, and if so, when and how that is allowed. I could see that being an obvious confusion. And the attachment and manual activation processes are, well, something best learned and done ahead of time. But that's still no reason for what you got to be substantially any different from whatever the manual shows.

Moldy fruit from the supermarket? OK, throw it out. But for life-saving equipment? Nuh-uh, someone has to step up and make it right.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 12:29   #20

I have not contacted the GPS store about a refund, the refund isn't really the point - I'd like to get the device to work. I don't think they know more about the device than the manufacturer.

My current thinking is the cable/whistle mentioned earlier in this thread just was omitted in the manufacture. I've been in contact with the maker to see what they suggest.

Looking for someone who actually uses the device and goes through the rigorous test protocol in the instruction manual.
Old 22-05-2016, 05:09   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
The arming tape and whistle mentioned in the instructions are not included in my package. That sort of got me off in the wrong direction.

Thank you, all, for your help and patience.
Where did you see a whistle mentioned?
Are you sure you are looking at the relevant document?
AFAIK - the MOB1 is an electronic device only, no whistle attached.
Old 22-05-2016, 09:03   #22

Just arrived on board and did a quick test of my MOB1

Slide down the red ARM to arm it, which you need to do when installing it in the life jacket. Then to activate, slide the grey plastic off to the side. If you have run a line around the jacket, then the inflation should pull it off.

The programming on how the unit works on activation depends on your countries regulations, or as it will be in my case, where you are when you download or log on (for mac) to program it.

Old 22-05-2016, 09:27   #23

How about a red tab that says 'pull for rescue' or just a red tab? I'll send your video along in case my friend falls overboard.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:49   #24

Dear Capstu,
I do not own a MOB1 yet, but have been looking at it over a year since I believe does what we all need:
-automatic DSC alarm to own VHF (if partner is overboard)
-automatic AIS near MOB (4nm, when yourself is overboard)
-manual epirb (when no one is near)

I learned from OceanSignal that the epirb function is manual (at least in Holland) after setting it up because automatic is not allowed here. Actually the whole epirb function is not allowed here on this unit but is only to be used as "all means may be applied in a case of distress as a last resort".

So if your partner goes overboard you will get your alarm since the antenne rolls out based on the line around your lifevest inflating on DSC VHF since the programming worked well and on AIS plotter.
You need to instruct your partner to check:
antenne roll out
boat reaction
and if you are gone, activate the epirb manually!

Maybe you should include a large plastified card within the lifevest with the two final instructions, because when it happens, these will be long forgotten.
Harvester 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:29   #25

correction: where I mention "epirb" it should say "all ships dsc".
MOB1 is not a real epirb,
Harvester 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03   #26

Harvestor,

I agree the directions say exactly what your note says - but that isn't how it works.

There are two very small plastic tabs - one must be pulled down to arm the device and the other must be opened to set off the alarm. It is not possible for me (I'm 71 and fairly fit for my age) to set off the device without a tool of some sort to pry the device to the on position.

Buy one and try it - in the water - and reply after trying it. If you are in cooler climates such as South Florida in the Winter, try to activate it with gloves on. It can't be done - at least not by me and surely not by my significant other who is more likely to be near the transom taking photos.

If you buy one of the recommended life jackets (not available in her size), and can find someone with small strong hands to install the device it might work.

But, any safety device must be tested at least yearly - and with the difficult to remove cover, testing is unlikely and is impossible to accomplish by the primary wearer of the device.

It is worthless as other than a toy.
Old 03-08-2016, 17:37   #27

Boat: Trisbal 36

I own and have owned two MOB1s for more than 6 months now, and we have installed them on our Spinlock Lifevests. I am very surprised by the OP's claims.

First, it is not really sure which device the OP really has bought and which device the OP really has in hand. I may be mistaken but they might be different and I really think that the OP should check this part first. Has he been sold a fake item ? It's possible, and until he posts pictures of his actual MOB1 showing what issues he's having (and especially where he can't move the tabs), I will have a tendency to think so.

Second, the programming was really easy to do, the manual does a fair job of explaining it and there are instructions on the web too to help you understand how to do it. Thanks to the optical programming, I found that it was one of the easiest marine electronics items to program ever. No cables, no interface, no taking it to your supplier who will charge disproportionately huge amounts for this "service".

Third, the MOB1 might be a little fiddly to actually set up around your life jacket's bladder, true, but take your time and if your fingers can't handle the job of putting the tape in the slots, use tweezers. I found it really OK and in the end, it's really a good thing to check the state of your life jacket anyway. And as for the two "tiny" tabs, I'd say they are as normal as can be. If you can use a smartphone, then you will be able to move the arm tab down and slide the grey tab sideways to start the MOB1 manually should you wish so.

Finally, to answer some questions of posters, I have done the tests described in the manual - because I wanted to check what really happened and if it suited my needs. As stated in the manual, these are real transmissions, not just strobe light tests. Use your DSC VHF radio while testing and you will see that the DSC test does send a DSC call to your programmed MMSI, albeit a routine call, not a distress call (just as stated in the manual). Similarly, the AIS test did send an AIS transmission, which was received by my AIS receptor and plotted on OpenCPN.

Both these features have made the MOB1 a great addition to our safety gear. We sail offshore as a couple. The DSC alert has us confident that the off-watch person will be thrown out of bed by the alarm, while the AIS feature will be the perfect tool to home in onto the man overboard. As an added bonus, it is visible to others as well. Finally, there is the possibility of sending an All-Ships DSC alert, which is also great if you feel you need all the help you can get ASAP, but this feature seems to be very regulated and thus unlawful in many countries. As a blue water sailor, I chose not to care: I'd rather be saved illegally than die according to regulations, but I understand week-end sailors would prefer to abide by their local regulations.

If anyone has questions regarding our experience of the MOB1, please feel free to ask, although it might take me some time to answer because Internet connections are few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:30   #28

I have the MOB1, I have programmed it according to the instructions, I have tested it according to the instructions.

Mounting is a more difficult problem.

We "sail" inshore with a small tug - frequently in rough waters caused by boat wakes. My "admiral" usually wears her life jacket except when at anchor or in the most calm conditions. She usually is out "back" taking photographs.

I can not convince myself the MOB1 will automatically deploy in the event she falls overboard - wearing her jacket. I can also not convince myself she can figure out how to manually deploy the unit if necessary should the jacket not open or the unit not deploy when the jacket opens.

I don't believe it is broken, I have the wrong device, or am missing parts or instructions - just that the complex installation with a dozen or so very small parts is beyond my ability to operate and verify.

Thanks for the reply - I have suggested she remain on the boat and that we replace her current jacket with one with an integrated harness, but they are quite heavy, hot, and uncomfortable for use in an activity that is supposed to be fun.

We have the device, will install it on her jacket, but don't have the confidence that it will provide any gain should she be tossed overboard by a boat wake.

Maybe it is time for us to just give up 50 years of boating and watch television?
Old 04-08-2016, 22:01   #29

Boat: Elan Impression 434

Hi Captstu
Relying on the mob1 because you think using a harness is too heavy and uncomfortable is unbelievable. Mate, clip on . Staying on board is the first priority. More than likely you won't be able to get your friend onboard even if you do find her.
Mob1 is a great device to be used in conjunction with AIS enabled chartprotter.
Stay safe
Terry

Sent from my SM-T810 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Far Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:52   #30

Terry,

Clearly, you are correct about the importance of staying on board. In previous ocean crossings (under sail), I and my crew were tethered all night and whenever on deck alone or in more than about 10 knots.

But, in the ICW when the water is 100 feet shore to shore and power boats go by with children hanging over the bow, it is hard to justify a tether in a boat with 3 foot high gunnels. This isn't a sailboat with the strengths os a massive keel, but a small tug with a big engine that is maneuverable with two thrusters AND a swim platform below the waterline.

So, my friend wears a life jacket inshore in fairly calm conditions not because it is required or even recommended, but because it makes her feel safer. The MOB1 was purchased to increase that feeling -- it doesn't do this.

Tags
mob, rescue