Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2019, 23:25   #46

Re: MOB1 RescueMe - can't figure it out

I have to say the US 10 digit MMSI number is news to me.....

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi

Quote:
MMSI Overview
Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs) are nine digit numbers used by maritime digital selective calling (DSC), automatic identification systems (AIS) and certain other equipment to uniquely identify a ship or a coast radio station. MMSIs are regulated and managed internationally by the International Telecommunications Union in Geneva, Switzerland, just as radio call signs are regulated. The MMSI format and use is documented in Article 19 of the ITU Radio Regulations and ITU-R Recommendation M.585-6, available from the ITU.
...even the BoatUS issued MMSI numbers state they are 9 digit numbers.....

https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/Home

Quote:
Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) is a unique 9 digit number that is assigned to a (Digital Selective Calling) DSC radio or an AIS unit. Similar to a cell phone number, your MMSI number is your unique calling number for DSC radios or an AIS unit. The information provided when obtaining a MMSI number is transferred into the U.S. Coast Guard's national distress database for use in emergency situations.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 23:36   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Sorry, my bad....I have that backward, my USA MMSI is 9 digits long, but sometimes when I give it out to locals here, they think the number of digits is wrong. But I don't think that's the problem. I've tried programming the unit with both the windows downloadable program and the web based version, and for area 1 and for area 2. Area 2 is New Zealand, area 1 must be the USA. Both with the same results, it says it programmed successfully, but then it flashes red and the test afterwards does not work.
Old 25-07-2019, 23:38   #48
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

TC, was your USA MMSI issued by BoatUS?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 00:06   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think so. It's been 15 years though, so I can't be 100% sure. I seem to recall I went direct to the USCG, knowing that I would be travelling internationally. I get notifications from the USCG to update my contact information every couple of years, but nothing from BoatUS. But how would that make a difference?
Old 26-07-2019, 00:50   #50

Maybe here will help if you haven't already tried......

FAQ – Ocean Signal Australia – All Sat Communications

Quote:
Why does my MOB1 show red flashes if I try to programme the MMSI number?
If the unit fails to programme, showing the flashing red LED on completion, please try again. Turn the MOB1 on in programming mode again and retry. There is no need to exit the programming screen on the programme. If the programming page is showing, simply press F10 again to commence the programming sequence again.
If you are having problems programming your MOB1, please check the following guidance.
1) Make sure that your screen brightness is set to maximum, using the controls on the monitor or device.
2) Ensure that you have commenced programming within 50 seconds of putting the MOB1 into programming mode. Failure to do this will cause the MOB1 to have turned off before communication starts. Note that once programming has commenced (The white box is flashing) the MOB1 should stay on until the programming sequence is completed.
3) Ensure that the MOB1 is placed over the white square with the rubber programming adaptor firmly touching the screen and with the aperture in the rubber close to the centre of the white box.
4) Avoid programming the MOB1 in bright ambient light conditions. If necessary point the screen away from direct or bright sources of light such as sun through a window. (In extreme circumstances, especially with older screens that have lost their brightness, place a thick cloth over the screen and MOB1 to block out the ambient light.)
5) The MOB1 configuration software requires precise timing, which may be disrupted by other applications running at the same time, especially on slower computers.
If you still encounter problems, try shutting down all un-necessary applications, including anti virus software.
....interestingly after a quick look online it seems programing issues with this unit are quite common, all seem to suggest to persist and eventually it will happen....seems a bit hit and miss....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 11:09   #51

Boat: Sabre 402

You're trying to use an MMSI that is 15 years old? Was it issued for the boat or for you individually? If the boat is already programmed into the system using that MMSI will the system allow you to use it for another device, or do you need a new number?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 05:13   #52

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
I recently purchased the MOB1 and have been equally frustrated.
I believe the idea is that when the life jacket inflates, that expansion pulls on the string attached to the grey slide, the antenna whips out, and then off it goes. However, I've spent hours trying to get my MMSI programmed in. I think the problem may be that I purchased here in New Zealand, but my MMSI is a USA MMSI (10 digits instead of the 9 that NZ uses). I get a "programmed successful" message, but then it goes to red flashing lights, instead of green. Any ideas?
What device are you using to do the programming? I had repeated failures when I used my old computer's monitor screen. I switched to using a bright tablet and both units then programmed fine.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 17:21   #53
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I finally got it to program !! I had to check the box for "delete MMSI" which I assume cleared out my previous unsuccessful attempts at programming, and then program anew. I'm reasonably sure it was a brand new unit as the box was sealed, so I don't think there was anyone else's info in there. Did the AIS/DSC tests and it passed.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 29-07-2019, 19:31   #54
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for the update and glad it worked out for you - perseverance pays!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob, rescue