Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 13:47   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Re: Motoring against the wind at anchor in a storm

we did it two times in Greece when anchored the Mediterranean style astern to the dock, our Danforth anchor started to drag, motoring against the 40 knots wind literally saved our boat from smashing into the dock, while leaning on the back ropes you can correct your bow angel to the wind by gently turning the ruder to right and left.
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 13:54   #47

Boat: Cal 2-46

?

I'd probably do something like two forward anchors with equal rode but 10+ meters apart, which likely would cause its own problems. I'd feel more comfortable until it all went to hell, though.[/QUOTE]

Two anchors is a good recipe for problems and mechanically gives no advantage.
As the boat yaws the weight goes on one anchor. Then as it yaws back the weight goes on the other anchor. If either drags the anchors get closer together. Tangle ???
A better option is to set the anchors up in tandem. Anchor one plus chain and shackled to anchor and then chain up to the boat.
I know it works having sat out several blows.
Downside is getting the second anchor back on board. Can be a mission depending on how big it is as the winch won’t go past the first anchor

Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 19:23   #48

I experimented with anchors/rope/chain on my local beach and a 4wd.....tandem anchoring is many times more effective than 2 spread anchors. Shackle 1 anchor to the crown of the 2nd with 5m of chain then more chain up to the yacht.....about 4times more effective than a single and 3 times more than 2 spread anchors. Buoy the first so you have options in retrieval.
popeyedunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 02:12   #49

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GL View Post
The biggest problem is swinging at anchor during the wind event. Some boats don't swing around much, like a Concordia yawl. My boat has the mast forward, and it naturally likes to tack like crazy at anchor, even in moderate winds. The solution in my case would be to install a mizzen mast, or to put up a riding sail on the topping lift. A mizzen on my boat is out of the question though. The riding sail hanks onto the topping lift like a jib in reverse, with the leech facing forward. Two lines steady the "clew", each trimmed to the midship cleats to really flatten the sail. The "tack" is shackled to the aft end of the boom, and the boom is kept from swinging by triangulating lines to the aft cleats.

Even in much nicer conditions the sail adds comfort. The cocktail napkins, potato chips, and the bosses toupee won't fly away at the first swing.
I've considered this option of a riding sail on my Bavaria but using the split back stay to hank on to rather than trying to rig it from the end of the boom. My only concern would be the riding sail would be off centre and at a slight angle. I'd not expect to hold dead into the wind with it but if it reduced the 160deg swing I'd be happy.

Do you have any photos of your set up that you could share? Could you PM me to discuss this further.

Cheers
Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 18:09   #50

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

I had an interesting experience years ago while anchored in New York harbor. Close quarters with lots of bots. It was during a Big Ships display on Fouth of July. My boat. Sabre 36, fin keel. Boats all around very closely and all different relative to length, draft and keel type. Tide was going out which was accentuated by the current of the Hudson River. I was anchored securely but I was veering left and right with others doing the same but at different speeds. I found, with no engine running, that I could steer the boat. Coming too close to the boat on port I could steer to starboard. And vice versa. Still not certain if it was the water moving under the boat, the wind or what. But it worked. And I’ve done it without current.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 21:35   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have read a number of reports of cruisers doing this as a way to take some of the strain off the anchor, reduce the risk of dragging and possible lessen chaffe and other possible benefits.

Until I rode out hurricane Matthew on the boat in north Florida never had need or opportunity to try this technique. At the height of the storm,watching boats all around me dragging or breaking free I decided to try the motor into the wind trick to take some of the strain off the mooring. Instead it made the situation worse.

When I powered against the wind it would indeed take some of the strain off the pennant but then the wind would catch the bow, the boat would fall back and turn broadside to the wind with a resulting dramatic increase in forces on the boat and mooring.

Has anyone else tried this and what was your experience. Is it possible that the short scope of a mooring pennant vs a longer anchor rode made a difference?

I did exactly as you, in Hurricane Marty, at anchor in winds up to 90, with exactly the same results. I was taking some load off but not moving ahead. Boat had a spade rudder and fin keel and was always a bit skittish at anchor. Eventually, I just warmed up the engine every half hour, in case I dragged, which I didn't.

My current cat is much steadier during routine mooring and anchoring.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 11:23   #52

We were recently caught out on the outer great barrier reef by the outskirts of a cyclone while on a mooring buoy rated 35 knots in winds in excess of 65 knots sustained (after an hour or so our wind instrument broke, just when it got a bit worse). I put the engine on slow revs in gear, which took some strain off the line - with very, very closely keeping an eye on the rode. Worked well enough for us. Without engine assistance I think we might have broken loose.
pufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 12:21   #53

It was an early experience on my 3rd trip out with my new boat heading for a well sheltered bay to stay for the night .I knew a gale was supposed to start blowing in my area after midnight. I had about five miles to go to compete my task and the weather was coming. To get into my sheltered harbor it was several tight turns to get around rocks and with the daylight fading I opted an alternate harbor nearer by. I found a spot far from the mouth and close to the sheltered side. I set my Bruce anchor and let out about 175 feet of 5/16 chain.I felt pretty good and went about securing the decks as it started to blow.I was Feb and night came early after a few hours making a meal and riding the weather I went to sleep I awoke at about 4 am with my bow riding about 5 foot waves and the wind howling . I opened the hatch to a pitch black night so I grabbed my spot light to have a look around and as soon as I shone the light into the cockpit I could see a huge rock wall about 20 yards off my quarter. I started my engine before I even went outside. I knew I needed to keep some strain in my chain and engaged the prop after about an hour of this I realised I had moved up on my anchor and couldn't afford to backslide for fear of breaking free.I gradually worked my way into deeper water and steered towards an open channel and went forward to bring up my anchor. When it broke the surface I found my problem someone had discarded an old crab trap and my anchor had landed just inside the frame. This kept my anchor from completely setting. It was a valuable experience and my engine saved my boat that morning,
schaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 15:36   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaf View Post
It was an early experience on my 3rd trip out with my new boat heading for a well sheltered bay to stay for the night .I knew a gale was supposed to start blowing in my area after midnight. I had about five miles to go to compete my task and the weather was coming. To get into my sheltered harbor it was several tight turns to get around rocks and with the daylight fading I opted an alternate harbor nearer by. I found a spot far from the mouth and close to the sheltered side. I set my Bruce anchor and let out about 175 feet of 5/16 chain.I felt pretty good and went about securing the decks as it started to blow.I was Feb and night came early after a few hours making a meal and riding the weather I went to sleep I awoke at about 4 am with my bow riding about 5 foot waves and the wind howling . I opened the hatch to a pitch black night so I grabbed my spot light to have a look around and as soon as I shone the light into the cockpit I could see a huge rock wall about 20 yards off my quarter. I started my engine before I even went outside. I knew I needed to keep some strain in my chain and engaged the prop after about an hour of this I realised I had moved up on my anchor and couldn't afford to backslide for fear of breaking free.I gradually worked my way into deeper water and steered towards an open channel and went forward to bring up my anchor. When it broke the surface I found my problem someone had discarded an old crab trap and my anchor had landed just inside the frame. This kept my anchor from completely setting. It was a valuable experience and my engine saved my boat that morning,

How hard had you set the anchor?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:35   #55

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
How hard had you set the anchor?
A pretty silly question. My 100 HP engine couldn't pull a fraction of the sorts of wind loads in reverse that you'd get in those situations. I think I'll give schaf the benefit of the doubt and assume he/she knew what they were doing.

Tags
anchor, motor, wind