Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 10:40   #1

Non floating dingy?

This is a good article related to dingies and flipping one. A good read for those considering a non floating dingy like a Portabote etc.
Hopefully anyone can link to this... How to Save a Flipped Dinghy | Sail Magazine

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 14:33   #2

Boat: Catalina 25 swing keel
Re: Non floating dingy?

Nice to know! Have to try that this spring

Sent from my SM-T320 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rainh2o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 14:51   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
This is a good article related to dingies and flipping one. A good read for those considering a non floating dingy like a Portabote etc.
Hopefully anyone can link to this... How to Save a Flipped Dinghy | Sail Magazine
The other thread wasn't enough for you to bad mouth Porta Botes? They do float unless you rip the flotation foam off.
Old 05-01-2015, 16:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

What I got was how easy a dingy would flip, and what a pain in the a$$ to get it back to the boat without the outboard. I got stuck on an island with a dead outboard, and not even oars. It was a learning experience I only want once. We used the tide and a makeshift sail, but would have gone right past the mothership had we not had someone there to throw us a line.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:19   #5

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Sory Cheechako: your info on the Porta Bote is faulty. Please be more careful in your future assertions so as to not mislead people who are looking for real answers.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:17   #6

Boat: Bristol 29

Whoa... A little testy, are we?

My Portabote floats, but with the engine attached I'm not so sure it would. I think I'll add more flotation to be sure.

The article has made me think about how I'd fare in a similar situation, and made me think of some changes I'll be making. Thanks!
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 19:41   #7

Boat: Monk 36

Flipping or rolling a dinghy? I've done it a couple too many times in round bottomed ones, including one I built. That is why I designed, built the tooling and have built the prototype of this dinghy. Okay, it looks like a power boat hull, consequently those chines give it a lot of stability. I was pleased with the 2.97m prototype. Floatation included under fwd and aft seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bucky1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	95042   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucky2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	95043  

dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 20:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Flipping or rolling a dinghy? I've done it a couple too many times in round bottomed ones, including one I built. That is why I designed, built the tooling and have built the prototype of this dinghy. Okay, it looks like a power boat hull, consequently those chines give it a lot of stability. I was pleased with the 2.97m prototype. Floatation included under fwd and aft seats.
That looks like a pretty sweet job for someone with paws, and ears that must droop down onto the workbench.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:57   #9

Boat: Monk 36

Brob2 - woof. Sadly, my buddy in the avatar collapsed a couple months ago and is now resting comfortably on the mantle. He was the creative director for this project - came to work with me the last 11 years of his life.

PS. I really like Halifax. I was up there when 9/11 happened and was 'forced' to stick around a couple extra days. Been there a couple times.

Warm enough for you?
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Brob2 - woof. Sadly, my buddy in the avatar collapsed a couple months ago and is now resting comfortably on the mantle. He was the creative director for this project - came to work with me the last 11 years of his life.

PS. I really like Halifax. I was up there when 9/11 happened and was 'forced' to stick around a couple extra days. Been there a couple times.

Warm enough for you?
I keep reading folks talk about how unpleasant is in the Med in winter and thinking, that just doesn't sound so bad to me. Feels like Wisconsin here today.

That's a very handsome creative director on your mantle. They sure leave great memories when they move on, along with the inevitable hole in the heart.

Stay warm!
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 13:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
What I got was how easy a dingy would flip, and what a pain in the a$$ to get it back to the boat without the outboard. I got stuck on an island with a dead outboard, and not even oars. It was a learning experience I only want once. We used the tide and a makeshift sail, but would have gone right past the mothership had we not had someone there to throw us a line.
Yeah, I had no point to bad mouth Porta Botes or others, but intended to get people to think about how to retrieve a dingy AND how easy they may flip. Especially when deciding what to buy.
So Porta Boats do have floatation? Someone in another thread mentioned they don't...? or maybe just enough to float the boat with nothing or no one attached?

"The other thread wasn't enough for you to bad mouth Porta Botes? They do float unless you rip the flotation foam off. "
Although I'm not particularly fond of a PB, I'm not sure I have bad mouthed the PB in the past...? Maybe I joined in on not especially liking it?.. I have no real vendetta about any dingy... But I did ride in a PB once.... That was enough for me to know it's not for me.!
We all have to make compromises... and a PB may be the answer for those with small motherships..
I just thought it was pretty good info to pass along. Love your PB if you must!

Old 06-01-2015, 20:06   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well if you had been in a POB, you would have seen the foam floatation panels. There is no way and dink would be certified without positive floatation.

Flotation - Applicability

I've had hard and soft dinghy's. I can say that I'm tired of the constant problems as inflatables age.So each to their own.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 22:24   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

dpddj, That's a pretty hull. Do you plan to go into production?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well if you had been in a POB, you would have seen the foam floatation panels. There is no way and dink would be certified without positive floatation.

Flotation - Applicability

I've had hard and soft dinghy's. I can say that I'm tired of the constant problems as inflatables age.So each to their own.
Actually it was in Mexico in 1985. There were no foam panels in the one I was in.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:02   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Actually Cheechako, your inaccurate comment about portabotes got me thinking about upturned botes vs inflatables. I'm certain it would be easier from someone to flip a portabote from within the water compared to an inflatable, but of course the bote would be full of water. Using a hand pump common to kayakers, one could then pump the boat out, although it would take a long time. One might be able to get it partially emptied using a canoe re-entry technique -- rolling the bote, then heaving up -- it might work, especially with two people.

All in all, you'd likely have a better change of righting a portabote vs an inflatable from the water. What you wouldn't be able to do very easily is move a submerged (but floating) bote very easily through the water. An upturned inflatable will still move fairly easily. Not so with a bote. I wonder if you could row it submerged though, just like we used to do with submerged (but floating) canoes.

Hmmmmm...

Tags
loa