Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22   #61

Re: Old Flare Disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
You just missed it New Years... next up 4th of July in a safe area or keep them onboard...no experiance with old Solaris type but have had duds and near duds with 5 to 7 year old 12 gauge pistol flares...probably got moisture contaminated.

No regulation against having outdated ones onboard...just against not having current ones as well..can we have to many?...with in reason.
That's what I've done with old ones. Good practice, too.

(And, I can't imagine a worse night to be near shore at night and in trouble and having to fire a flare, than July 4th.)
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 18:22   #62

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
(And, I can't imagine a worse night to be near shore at night and in trouble and having to fire a flare, than July 4th.)
At new years in Norway, people used to repeatedly fire off red parachute flares along the coast mixed in with fireworks.

..looking out into the dark seas I always wonder if there was some poor mariner out there wondering why nobody was noticing his desperate efforts..
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
At new years in Norway, people used to repeatedly fire off red parachute flares along the coast mixed in with fireworks.

..looking out into the dark seas I always wonder if there was some poor mariner out there wondering why nobody was noticing his desperate efforts..
Devils advocate: Let's say we all follow the rules and no one sets off a single flare.

The guy on the boat is still hosed because it's just going to look like a dud firework and no one is going to react.

The only solution to your example is to prohibit all fireworks so the flare is something unusual that draws attention.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 21:10   #64

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The only solution to your example is to prohibit all fireworks so the flare is something unusual that draws attention.
The UK's HSE would have thought otherwise and simply banned all new years celebrations as celebrations can be "potentially harmful" in uncertified hands...
Old 11-07-2013, 21:58   #65

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive been stoped by costies on both coasts and the gulf of mexico! They have only asked for my current flares, never if I had old out of date flares! Which, as I have a ton of them from world war 2 is good LOL and I can say they are much brighter, and fly a bunch higher then the ones you buy today !! Believe me if I needed help I would sure use the old one first !! Just sayin just cus there old don't mean they can't be useful!!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:32   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ive been stoped by costies on both coasts and the gulf of mexico! They have only asked for my current flares, never if I had old out of date flares! Which, as I have a ton of them from world war 2 is good LOL and I can say they are much brighter, and fly a bunch higher then the ones you buy today !! Believe me if I needed help I would sure use the old one first !! Just sayin just cus there old don't mean they can't be useful!!
I was counting mine up the other day, and I have like fifteen old aerial flares. I would imagine that most of them still work fine, and I sure would be shooting them off, too, if I needed assistance.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:18   #67

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

We tried a bunch last New Years. The little Olin ones that all the folks here in the US have.

Few of them worked.

Now a few years before that with another bunch of old flares. They all worked.

They just don't make em' like they used to I guess.
Old 12-07-2013, 17:59   #68

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I finally sold my old wwII very pistol with a box of parachute flares to a guy for $500!
They came with a sailboat I had in the 70's. never had to use them, knock on wood, now oi have a sawed off double barrel that is a dual purpose gun and doesn't take up any more room on the boat as the Very pistol&a box full of flares. The shotgun fires the 12 gauge flares better&farther than the plastic pop gun that they come with and it looks a whole lot cooler hanging on the wall than the plastic pop gun. More fun to shoot too! Legal? Probably not. But I'm an old combat vet and I don't give a damn. 4th of July is when I dispose of old flares and then I crawl back to my bunker and chill, you know, PTSD and all!
Had a friend one time who was anchored off the pier in Santa Cruise trying to get some sleep. Tourists were feeding the sea lions and making a hell of a racket so he tossed a seal bomb at the crowd of freeloaders but one of them ate the damn thing. He said it dove under and camelback up and blew the most perfect smoke ring he. Had ever seen! Of course all the people on the pier started yelling bloody murder! So, he had to pull anchor and get the hell out of there. Us poor old commercial fishermen just don't get no respect!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 19:14   #69

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

AHHH, ya just gotta love those seal bombs !!LOL
Old 23-07-2013, 10:34   #70

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Taken from USCG OUPV requirements document. http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/upv_jobaid2011.pdf

Training to use your flares: You are authorized and encouraged to ignite flares from a shore side location for training purposes but you must notify the local CG Station before and after training. Ensure the local USCG Station knows who, when, and where the flare evolution will take place. 33 CFR 175.140

Flare Disposal: The CG recommends that you dispose of them at your local fire department or contact your closest CG station and ask if they hold flare training/demonstration days for the public..
USCG Office of Search & Rescue (CG-534)
Old 23-07-2013, 10:58   #71

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Except in good ole' Mexico!!... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37   #72

You have to check flares regularly that they are in good condition or not and dispose it if they are out of date.
marrythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:51   #73
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrythomas View Post
You have to check flares regularly that they are in good condition or not and dispose it if they are out of date.
Dispose of them where ?

Dave
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Taken from USCG OUPV requirements document. http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/upv_jobaid2011.pdf

Training to use your flares: You are authorized and encouraged to ignite flares from a shore side location for training purposes but you must notify the local CG Station before and after training. Ensure the local USCG Station knows who, when, and where the flare evolution will take place. 33 CFR 175.140

Flare Disposal: The CG recommends that you dispose of them at your local fire department or contact your closest CG station and ask if they hold flare training/demonstration days for the public..
USCG Office of Search & Rescue (CG-534)
Good day in the U.S. to do this "training" would be the Forth of July. Kill two birds with one stone.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58   #75
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Dispose of them where ?

Dave
Flares soaked in water will crumble in a few weeks at most. So easy. I've lost flares to windows left open!