Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2021, 06:32   #1

Open source "smart boat" security / safety?

Does anyone know of any open source projects for boats around "smart boat" features for security / safety?

Such as a system that reads something like an RFID within the proximity of your boat. Then you wear the RFID tag and if you fall off the boat it automatically deploys a very long sea anchor (slowing the boat to go with the current and giving you a long line to swim to).

Or a security system that tiers itself (first alarms / lights / cameras that go off when it detects someone coming onto your boat... then if they progress to hatches it goes to security 2 and disperses something like pepper spray?)

Both these things aren't technically that complex, but it seems like something that someone would have already done (I know there are companies that do the alarms, and there are some systems you can do that trigger when your lifejacket pulls a slip out of a device if you fall overboard).

But purchasing these directly seems the expensive rout. I would have guessed there would be some open source DIY of these around somewhere? (I haven't had any luck with the search functions)

I would bet there are a range of other "smart boat" functions you could do. Locking / unlocking the boat remotely. Checking on things with your phone. Stuff like that....
Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 06:42   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Open source "smart boat" security / safety?

this false sense of security that your boat is smart enough to save you if you fall overboard is dangerous.

Better to know if you fall you die, and so you know you must not fall.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 08:49   #3

That's like saying having fire extinguishers AND a sprinkler system in a building is dangerous because it gives you a false sense of security....

I'd prefer overlapping security and safety measures. I don't like the idea of relying on one thing that can fail.
Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 10:44   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post
Does anyone know of any open source projects for boats around "smart boat" features for security / safety?

Such as a system that reads something like an RFID within the proximity of your boat. Then you wear the RFID tag and if you fall off the boat it automatically deploys a very long sea anchor (slowing the boat to go with the current and giving you a long line to swim to).

Or a security system that tiers itself (first alarms / lights / cameras that go off when it detects someone coming onto your boat... then if they progress to hatches it goes to security 2 and disperses something like pepper spray?)

Both these things aren't technically that complex, but it seems like something that someone would have already done (I know there are companies that do the alarms, and there are some systems you can do that trigger when your lifejacket pulls a slip out of a device if you fall overboard).

But purchasing these directly seems the expensive rout. I would have guessed there would be some open source DIY of these around somewhere? (I haven't had any luck with the search functions)

I would bet there are a range of other "smart boat" functions you could do. Locking / unlocking the boat remotely. Checking on things with your phone. Stuff like that....

Usually try to be positive when writing responses, but after reading this it seems a bit over the top (like the pepper spray, etc.). There are motion detectors to set of lights, cameras, etc., but do not know if they are on an open sourced package already. Maybe you could develop one w/all the features you are suggesting? There are many such developers on this forum and sure they would be happy to critique your software.
Not sure if you knew this before you posted your previous response to Sean, but he is a major developer/contributor to open sourced material such as opencpn, openplotter and pypilot. He also has sailed around the world w/no motor so he also has extensive sailing experience. While his comment was short, it is true you should make major efforts to never fall off the boat since it typically results in an injury that would not allow you to do a long open water swim to try to catch up to your boat. Even if you weren't injured, try to keep up w/a boat while swimming doing 3 kts (most people can't for too long).
There are sensors that can be added to a pi system for example that can do many things (bilge alarms, etc.) and can be customized to individual needs. Probably need to do a search and you could find the codes to do different projects/sensor that you would like to put on your boat.
Good luck.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, safety, security